• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit steroid question

Graciee

Staff member
People who have used them, how long did your rabbit have on them?

Atticus was doing well but I think he's deteriorating again, I'm wondering if this is just it for him tbh.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I use them as last line (ie, steroids or death) and typically they stay on them for the rest of their life. I’ve never had a rabbit start steroids and successfully gone off them. I had a bunny on them for nearly a year, so they can really make a world of difference.

I use them as last line (ie, steroids or death) and typically they stay on them for the rest of their life. I’ve never had a rabbit start steroids and successfully gone off them. I had a bunny on them for nearly a year, so they can really make a world of difference.
Ah yea I kinda meant how much longer did they give the rabbit. Atticus has been on them a few months now I think? But Idk I feel like they aren't working for him as much as they were

I'm sad about this :( No experience with steroids, but sending lots of love. In what way do you think he's deteriorating?

Sorry to hear Atticus isn't getting the same benefit from then any more :( Ralph was on them back in 2008 & I really can't remember how long it was between when he started them & when he died but it was def less than a year, months rather than weeks. Sorry to not be able to answer more helpfully

I have had numerous Rabbits prescribed a corticosteroid as part of a palliative care regime. I think the longest period of time they bought for a Rabbit with a terminal illness (Thymoma) was about 6 months.

In every case it was the disease that took the lives of the Rabbits, not any adverse affects of the corticosteroids

I am sorry that Atticus is not doing well again :cry:

I'm sad about this :( No experience with steroids, but sending lots of love. In what way do you think he's deteriorating?
Yea I'm really sad about it :(

It's his back legs and weight loss again, he's really unsteady on his back legs, they were getting a bit better he was really running again but it's gone back to how it was before starting the steroids :(

Sorry to hear Atticus isn't getting the same benefit from then any more :( Ralph was on them back in 2008 & I really can't remember how long it was between when he started them & when he died but it was def less than a year, months rather than weeks. Sorry to not be able to answer more helpfully
No that's really helpful actually thanks :) x

I don’t have any experience of steroid use in rabbits but I’m sorry he’s not well :cry: sending lots of hugs and vibes xx

I have had numerous Rabbits prescribed a corticosteroid as part of a palliative care regime. I think the longest period of time they bought for a Rabbit with a terminal illness (Thymoma) was about 6 months.

In every case it was the disease that took the lives of the Rabbits, not any adverse affects of the corticosteroids

I am sorry that Atticus is not doing well again :cry:
Thanks that's helpful. Idk what to do with him tbh I can't lose him :(

Thanks that's helpful. Idk what to do with him tbh I can't lose him :(

What’s happening with him now ? Are his megacolon episodes becoming more frequent and/or lasting a lot longer ? Is he still losing weight ?

I can’t remember when his last blood test was, but as you probably know megacolon does eventually affect liver function, kidney function too sometimes :cry:

Also, being on a corticosteroid will increase his risk of sepsis from the bacterial overload that’ll occur when his caecum gets impacted. Personally I’d ask William if a blood profile would be a good idea before making any big decisions about him.

It is dreadful when we have a run of very sick Rabbits, we don’t get the chance to process things as there is just too much going on all at the same time. And you’ve got lots of additional stress to cope with too :cry:
Sending lots of vibes for your special boy x

What’s happening with him now ? Are his megacolon episodes becoming more frequent and/or lasting a lot longer ? Is he still losing weight ?

I can’t remember when his last blood test was, but as you probably know megacolon does eventually affect liver function, kidney function too sometimes :cry:

Also, being on a corticosteroid will increase his risk of sepsis from the bacterial overload that’ll occur when his caecum gets impacted. Personally I’d ask William if a blood profile would be a good idea before making any big decisions about him.

It is dreadful when we have a run of very sick Rabbits, we don’t get the chance to process things as there is just too much going on all at the same time. And you’ve got lots of additional stress to cope with too :cry:
Sending lots of vibes for your special boy x

Yea pretty much, episodes hanging around much much longer and more frequent. No change to his routine though. I think it's just happening. Also don't think it's the steroids, if anything they help, because the day after the injection he goes a bit more than usual. He put on weight then it was stable, now he's losing it again. It's how he is on his legs that's worrying me too, so unsteady.

Last had bloods 6 weeks ago, and before that 6 weeks (so 12 weeks ago then 6 weeks ago) hope that makes sense, everything was fine still, but yea I could take him for a recheck again, thing is its incredibly hard to get blood from him :(

Yea, maybe the reality is that the steroids gave him 3 more months, and that's all it was gunna be. Idk

Yea pretty much, episodes hanging around much much longer and more frequent. No change to his routine though. I think it's just happening. Also don't think it's the steroids, if anything they help, because the day after the injection he goes a bit more than usual. He put on weight then it was stable, now he's losing it again. It's how he is on his legs that's worrying me too, so unsteady.

Last had bloods 6 weeks ago, and before that 6 weeks (so 12 weeks ago then 6 weeks ago) hope that makes sense, everything was fine still, but yea I could take him for a recheck again, thing is its incredibly hard to get blood from him :(

Yea, maybe the reality is that the steroids gave him 3 more months, and that's all it was gunna be. Idk

Poor lad, I doubt he’d have survived as long as he has if it were not for your care. Megacolon is so horrible, but in between episodes the Bun can be absolutely fine. That’s what makes it so hard to know when to make ‘the call’. You will do what’s best for him as you know him so well x

Ah yea I kinda meant how much longer did they give the rabbit. Atticus has been on them a few months now I think? But Idk I feel like they aren't working for him as much as they were

Oh. Sorry.

Like with Jane, it was never steroids that eventually took the rabbit. My longest was eleven months, and he died in a horrific accident. The others had their lives extended by months.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this.

Back