• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit skin tag??

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
as all hands have been on deck with Orion, I forgot to ask :lol: has anybody dealt with a skin tag in bunnies?

Luna has one in her ear. the vet has checked it over and currently the idea is to just leave it alone, unless it really bothers her or grows any bigger. it may just fall off by itself even. it does hurt / feel uncomfortable when touched so it has some connection to her, somehow. it also doesn't come off easily (its firmly attached).

it looks a bit gross, like a calcium soaked poop - that's what I thought it was at first! there's no redness or itching, she flicks her ears a bit more than usual but that is all.

I just wondered what happened, did it fall off, grow bigger? did it have to be operated on?

I'm not too sure about putting her through surgery (esp due to the location) as she seems fairly unbothered currently, but I'm keeping a close eye. obviously if push comes to shove, we'll have to get it taken off!

pictures below, its nothing graphic, but it looks a bit gross :mrgreen:

8DqFcvPl.jpg
6w1oz1ll.jpg

Could it be a polyp? We see them quite a bit in cats ears at work, the general advice seems to be monitor and remove if the cat is really bothered by the ear/they get recurrent infections. I may be wrong but I think the cause can vary, and therefore depending on the cause it may come back after surgery and it's a fairly big op.

as all hands have been on deck with Orion, I forgot to ask [emoji38] has anybody dealt with a skin tag in bunnies?

Luna has one in her ear. the vet has checked it over and currently the idea is to just leave it alone, unless it really bothers her or grows any bigger. it may just fall off by itself even. it does hurt / feel uncomfortable when touched so it has some connection to her, somehow. it also doesn't come off easily (its firmly attached).

it looks a bit gross, like a calcium soaked poop - that's what I thought it was at first! there's no redness or itching, she flicks her ears a bit more than usual but that is all.

I just wondered what happened, did it fall off, grow bigger? did it have to be operated on?

I'm not too sure about putting her through surgery (esp due to the location) as she seems fairly unbothered currently, but I'm keeping a close eye. obviously if push comes to shove, we'll have to get it taken off!

pictures below, its nothing graphic, but it looks a bit gross :mrgreen:

8DqFcvPl.jpg
6w1oz1ll.jpg
No advice, never heard of it, but am very interested to learn more! If any of mine had that I'd have assumed it was something like wax, an infection or something stuck in their ear [emoji38] so hopefully others will be able to give you useful advice [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Could it be a polyp? We see them quite a bit in cats ears at work, the general advice seems to be monitor and remove if the cat is really bothered by the ear/they get recurrent infections. I may be wrong but I think the cause can vary, and therefore depending on the cause it may come back after surgery and it's a fairly big op.

it might be, the vet called it a 'skin tag'. she did say that there is a chance after removal it will come back, even if it falls off by itself. so I imagine its one in the same from the sounds of it? I admit, I haven't touched it myself as she gets quite tetchy when you do, and I like all 5 of my fingers :lol:

honestly Graciee at first I was sure she had a poop in her ear!! I got home, smothered them as usual, and went "Luna! what parties have you been up to to get a POOP in your ear??" but, it was not a poop. wouldn't budge when touched and its firmly attached to her with some feeling. I was worried it was a tumour honestly. its not mites / build up of wax. altho its nothing sinister (we don't think), I am curious about it. my vet said she saw another rabbit with a similar thing, except it was in a less awkward spot. hers in her ear is a bit tricky, esp as its above the canal, hence why surgery feels a bit dodgy if its not bothering her currently!

that's interesting Jane. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. most of the virus seem to have it on their face, but then again, many are wildies and you wouldn't be able to get a good shot of their ears :lol: I'm just not sure how she would have gotten it though. no bugs have been within the room, and she hasn't been outside, since most seem to state its spread by biting insects. if it was shope papilloma (these things never have easy names, do they?) virus I would guess orion is at risk too? hmm :?

it might be, the vet called it a 'skin tag'. she did say that there is a chance after removal it will come back, even if it falls off by itself. so I imagine its one in the same from the sounds of it? I admit, I haven't touched it myself as she gets quite tetchy when you do, and I like all 5 of my fingers [emoji38]

honestly Graciee at first I was sure she had a poop in her ear!! I got home, smothered them as usual, and went "Luna! what parties have you been up to to get a POOP in your ear??" but, it was not a poop. wouldn't budge when touched and its firmly attached to her with some feeling. I was worried it was a tumour honestly. its not mites / build up of wax. altho its nothing sinister (we don't think), I am curious about it. my vet said she saw another rabbit with a similar thing, except it was in a less awkward spot. hers in her ear is a bit tricky, esp as its above the canal, hence why surgery feels a bit dodgy if its not bothering her currently!

that's interesting Jane. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. most of the virus seem to have it on their face, but then again, many are wildies and you wouldn't be able to get a good shot of their ears [emoji38] I'm just not sure how she would have gotten it though. no bugs have been within the room, and she hasn't been outside, since most seem to state its spread by biting insects. if it was shope papilloma (these things never have easy names, do they?) virus I would guess orion is at risk too? hmm :?
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Yea I'd have thought the same tbh

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back