• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit rescues in essex?

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
Anyone know any good ones?

I emailed one local one to ask if they provide a "dating" service and if they help with the initial bonding process, and the lady replied with "your rabbit will bond with who you choose for it" and i also asked if some of their females are spayed and if possible to select one that is and she replied with "spaying doesnt make a difference to the success of bonding" both of her statements put me right off as i feel neither are true, so didn't want to go there at all.

I am willing to go as far as hertfordshire, kent and london which are all surrounding my area and i dont REALLY want to travel much longer than an hour, so if anyone can recommend any good rabbit rescues in essex, kent, hertfordshire or london i'd be really grateful :D

thanks.

There aren't many around this way are there! I know I have the same trouble.

RSPCA medway in Kent will do a dating service, but they don't routinely spay. I don't know if they would spay for you if you paid for it in advance, but then it sort of throws out the letting your bunny choose his partner bit!

Personally I've never had a problem with introducing a bunny to the one I have chosen; maybe I'm just lucky or maybe it's that if you can spend a lot of time observing, you have a good chance of picking one with a compatible personality - I don't know?!

There are also 2 around Royston which is really close to the M11 but I've only ever been to the rabbit residence, she definitely spays and does introductions, although I'm not sure she has any single females there at present. No harm in asking though!

Good luck!

ARC are happy to find you a spayed female and we are also happy to provide you with a dating service for your bun. We actively encourage people to bring along their rabbit to help ensure that we can provide you and your bun with the correct partner for them.

We will be getting in a number of new buns this week which will include some more females. Please do either contact us via the website www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk or ring Donna on 020 8755 1807 if you feel we may help you.

Janice

essex rescues

Hi alley&toby :) you could try warren lodge it is based in essex (not far from basildon I think) they have a website so you could google it for the address :? they always have bunnies for re-homing :( good luck.

Harry & Miss Daisy came from there; I don't think they routinely neuter before rehoming so it might be hard to find an already spayed doe there. I don't recall them doing a dating service either so if Ally wants to let Tobey choose his own girlfriend, it probably isn't the ideal place to try!

Lots of rescus do not spay females as its so costly, i dont and i dont think it makes any difference to pairs getting on. Ive never had any bother, unless you pick a particularly broody rabbit then you will have phantom pregnencys.As for rabbits not needing to choose i understand what you mean and would always want them to meet before you taking a doe but there again its rare for a male and female not to get on.My experience is based on many hundreds of pairings, out of these ive had maybe 2 does that refused to accept a mate. val

Back