• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Not Eating Post Spay - Help?!

I had this trouble when one of my girls was spayed last week. I had to keep syringe feeding her, and flapping leaves/grass etc in her face til she got mad and grabbed it off me and ate it! I felt bad doing it to her, but her not eating/pooing was hardly good for her either!

She picked up after a day or two, but I was stressed out while waiting!
She didn't poo for 2 days, which really worried me, but the vet kept saying as long as she was eating it was fine(!). (Vet wasn't listening to me say she was barely eating, so I had to keep syringing her!) Pineapple juice is good for stimulating gut motility, so I syringed her this too. Anyway, I was very loudly congratulating her for pooing when I went in the rabbit shed and found a large pile - dread to think what the neighbours thought!:oops:

Hope your girls get well soon.

Hiya,
As of last night all was well, she'd spent the day on a heat pad with Pickle in the living room, being syringe fed. She was really enjoying the food and I only had to present her with the syringe and she'd literally open her mouth and be licking it off the end. By 9pm last night she actually got off the heat pad and started eating on her own, kale and finally hay and that got better and better until we went to bed.
As of this morning, loads of teeny tiny poos everywhere and she's got no interest in food again. We're booked in at vets at 9.20 anyway so we'll see when I get back :(
Pickle also wouldn't look at this mornings pellets buyt ate kale when I offered it , and then even Harriet was being a bit weird this morning, not digging into her pellets like she normally does :shock: (but wolfed a dandy leaf down) :roll:

Oh, I wonder what's going on with them all.

I do hope everything is back to normal soon.

Get well vibes for them all!

How did you go on at the vets? I hope they're both ok. It is a horrible stressful time, in fact after Pippa I said I'd never get a un-spayed rabbit again, always adopt them ready spayed!!!

She had another couple of injections, gut stimulant and pain killer as her tummy sounded quieter than the day before, also lots of fluids and I'm syringing her every hour with SS recovery. Also got some Zantac to have twice a day. She's eaten a little bit of hay of her own accord but not much.

All in all I think things are improving! Hope so anyway!!

Woken up this morning by crashing and bagning from the spare room - even the cat looked a bit worried :shock::shock::shock:

Went in to find 2 very bright bunnies who had obviously been chasing each other around. I went to get their pellets and Pickle carried on eating hay and Truffle went into 'hunched up statue pose' (makes me feel like an awful bunnymum :oops:). I thought right, Zantac!! She saw me with the syringe and then started eating her pellets :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think we're on track now, and as Iain is building thier new hutch and run today, it's all in all a much better day!!!!!!

This was Truffle in her sick bed

000_0400.jpg

And Pickle keeping Truffle company

000_0397.jpg

Back