• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit litter box material

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,
What do you use for litter in your rabbit's toilet? I use rodent shavings, these are very popular and common in Turkey.
But I saw cat pine pellets used in some places. I couldn't be sure. Would you recommend? Also what do you use?
If you don't know, i put rodent shavings sample picture in the link below.

https://imguh.com/image/ZcV61
https://imguh.com/image/ZcetB

I use newspaper and hay. They also have hay in racks (designed to hold magazines).

Personally I think cat pine pellets might be uncomfortable for rabbit feet? They seem quite hard.

I use newspaper (not shredded, just as a layer on the bottom of the litter tray) and hemp bedding on top.

I use the cat pine pellets covered with a thick layer of hay.

They're the best ones I've found for keeping dry feets as they tend to clear one corner of hay and use that for pee, although they are also considered enormous fun for digging and every so often we arrive to find the entire loo contents scattered everywhere!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Personally I think cat pine pellets might be uncomfortable for rabbit feet? They seem quite hard.

I use newspaper (not shredded, just as a layer on the bottom of the litter tray) and hemp bedding on top.

What is a cannabis bed? Can you show me a sample picture?

I use the cat pine pellets covered with a thick layer of hay.

They're the best ones I've found for keeping dry feets as they tend to clear one corner of hay and use that for pee, although they are also considered enormous fun for digging and every so often we arrive to find the entire loo contents scattered everywhere!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Do they dig bunnys cat pine pellets?

I use wood stove pellets, topped with some hay. They are very absorbant and good in odor control, and pretty cheap. The hay rack is right there, so there's always a rather fresh layer of hay.

What is a cannabis bed? Can you show me a sample picture?
It's made from hemp plants. It looks like this:

16148.jpg

I really like it. It doesn't smell and there's no dust.

It's made from hemp plants. It looks like this:

16148.jpg

I really like it. It doesn't smell and there's no dust.

Looks just like the rodent pine shavings I use. Normally i am satisfied with rodent pine shavings. But I read confusing topics in some places. So i couldn't be sure

I use wood stove pellets, topped with some hay. They are very absorbant and good in odor control, and pretty cheap. The hay rack is right there, so there's always a rather fresh layer of hay.

I looked at what it is, it looks good. But it is not sold in my country :(

I've just swapped over to shredded hemp with hay on top in the trays for the outside furries. I also use sheets of newspaper (or puppy pads for poorly bunnies so I can check on the urine) under hay for any inside trays - less mess and easier to roll up to clean out.

Paper-based cat litter is OK, but it all seems to be scented now, so I've stopped using it. The scent is strong enough to bother me, so I don't know how the furries deal with living on it.

I've used wood-based cat litter pellets before (or the horse equivalent when they stocked it). They work quite well, I just find them heavy.

Pine is a softwood and not the best choice, some say it is bad. Mine currently use newspaper and hay,yet hard to get enough paper with covid and family going to digital editions.

You may be able to get aspen wood shavings or pellets which are a better choice.

I've just swapped over to shredded hemp with hay on top in the trays for the outside furries. I also use sheets of newspaper (or puppy pads for poorly bunnies so I can check on the urine) under hay for any inside trays - less mess and easier to roll up to clean out.

Paper-based cat litter is OK, but it all seems to be scented now, so I've stopped using it. The scent is strong enough to bother me, so I don't know how the furries deal with living on it.

I've used wood-based cat litter pellets before (or the horse equivalent when they stocked it). They work quite well, I just find them heavy.

Hemp is very similar to the one I used. I will consider your comments on the cat litter material, thanks. :)

Pine is a softwood and not the best choice, some say it is bad. Mine currently use newspaper and hay,yet hard to get enough paper with covid and family going to digital editions.

You may be able to get aspen wood shavings or pellets which are a better choice.

It is not very common to have pets in Turkey. Rabbit care is not common at all. In most places, the type of sawdust is not even specified. That's say sawdust. I always buy it because I find pine shavings. Thank goodness we found we are in mode :lol: :lol:

Even though rabbits are more combon here, rabbits still do not get the same respect as pets as cats and dogs. RU allows us to converse with other people who love bunnies who understand how we feel when a bunny is sick or dies. The section of RU called Rainbow Bridge is where we write about pets who passed away. Many who do not have pet bunnies do not provide comfort because they do not understand how amazing bunnies are as pets.

Even though rabbits are more combon here, rabbits still do not get the same respect as pets as cats and dogs. RU allows us to converse with other people who love bunnies who understand how we feel when a bunny is sick or dies. The section of RU called Rainbow Bridge is where we write about pets who passed away. Many who do not have pet bunnies do not provide comfort because they do not understand how amazing bunnies are as pets.

Yes i know, It's not common to take care of rabbits as pets. However, in Europe and America this situation is better than we do. There is a street animal culture in Turkey. People are very merciful to stray animals. There is a food and water bowl for street animals in front of each apartment building. But it's not common to keep pets at home. The number of people taking care of pets has increased in recent years

Back