• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Issues

DJGAVT

New Kit
Hello All,

We have 2 rabbits a male about 4 years old and a female who is about 1. The male is not the issue he is fine and is very friendly and loves nose rubs and being stroked etc. The female on the other hand is very grumpy and is getting worse.

Now she has never been a very physical bun but used to come in to the lounge at feeding time to have her dinner or to chill out and lay on the rug. In the past few weeks she has stopped wanting to come into the lounge all together (even for her dinner) and she seems to be getting less friendly every week. She will grunt if you go to stroke her pretty often or will just try and go as low as possible as if to try and keep you from touching her. I dont think she feels uneasy in the house as she will often lay on her side or lay with her back legs kicked out which, I think, is a sign of feeling at ease.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how we can get her to be more friedly with us and to at least want to come and sit in the same room as us?

Another factor is she seems more at ease with me than my girlfriend but she is the one that feeds them etc so I find this a little odd.

Thanks

Is she spayed?
and is he neutered?

Exactly what I was going to ask.

Sounds like some friends of mine's buns - The boy, who was neutered so they could live together without having babies was a darling, the girl wasn't spayed and was aggressive and unfriendly until she was.

if the change is as sudden as you say, i would probably want to get her to a vet for a check-up. Aggressivness can show if a bunny is feeling under the weather, as a defense mechanism but they can also hide illness VERY well.

I'd take them both, as they are a bonded pair i assume and ask the vet to give them both a quick check-up.

Just my opinion and what i'd do.

She is not aggressive in any way. She has never bitten anyone she just seems grumpy. She still runs around and does binkies etc. She just seems to be becoming less friendly towards us. She is fine with our male bun

She is not aggressive in any way. She has never bitten anyone she just seems grumpy. She still runs around and does binkies etc. She just seems to be becoming less friendly towards us. She is fine with our male bun

Sorry, i took the 'grumpy' comment as she was being aggressive, along with the fact you said she grunts.

I still think i'd be taking them both to the vets, even if its just a check-up for her.

She is just a very expressive bunny. She grunts alot but she never lundges or bites. If you pick her up she will stamp as soon as you put her back down or if you are getting her dinner, snack etc she will stamp if she thinks your being to slow :lol:

Back