• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit insurance - HELP!

Thank you both for telling me your experiences, I will 100% be buying insurance for Persie now. He is only a young bun now but who knows what kind of illnesses or problems he could face in the future and with costs like that a normal savings account would never cut it.

I really think you should. Bunnies are such sensitive creatures and even very young ones can become very poorly without a moments notice. I would be worried about leaving it, because if something happened that meant he might possibly need treatment for the rest of his life, then you would have to pay all that yourself, but with Petplan they would cover the bills for the rest of his life, as long as you remain insured with them of course. I think other companies will pay the bills for that year and then put an exclusion on thereafter.

I know they don't pay for neutering and vaccinations, but to me that is maintenance and not unexpected, because you know when vaccinations are due, and you can save up for the neutering. That would be like expecting car insurance to pay for your mot and tax. Petplan do pay for dental work and have done in the past for myself, but bun does need to have had a check up in the previous 12 months, and as most vets like my own, give a full health check when vaccinations are due then you would be covered by that.

On new years day this year, my 6 months old bun, Dipsy, was having such a MAD binky indoors, he hit the lounge wall head on, and just slide down it splitting his head open in the process. The total cost for that was nearly £500, because the emergency out of hours consultation fee alone was £130, and then he needed to have a GA and x-rays taken, and all his meds, pain relief etc and so you really never do know when something is going to happen.

http://mob1324.photobucket.com/albu.../rabbits/Dipsey7_zpsd53582d5.jpg?t=1364667115

I really think you should. Bunnies are such sensitive creatures and even very young ones can become very poorly without a moments notice. I would be worried about leaving it, because if something happened that meant he might possibly need treatment for the rest of his life, then you would have to pay all that yourself, but with Petplan they would cover the bills for the rest of his life, as long as you remain insured with them of course. I think other companies will pay the bills for that year and then put an exclusion on thereafter.

I know they don't pay for neutering and vaccinations, but to me that is maintenance and not unexpected, because you know when vaccinations are due, and you can save up for the neutering. That would be like expecting car insurance to pay for your mot and tax. Petplan do pay for dental work and have done in the past for myself, but bun does need to have had a check up in the previous 12 months, and as most vets like my own, give a full health check when vaccinations are due then you would be covered by that.

On new years day this year, my 6 months old bun, Dipsy, was having such a MAD binky indoors, he hit the lounge wall head on, and just slide down it splitting his head open in the process. The total cost for that was nearly £500, because the emergency out of hours consultation fee alone was £130, and then he needed to have a GA and x-rays taken, and all his meds, pain relief etc and so you really never do know when something is going to happen.

http://mob1324.photobucket.com/albu.../rabbits/Dipsey7_zpsd53582d5.jpg?t=1364667115
I just went ahead & bought my pet insurance. I went with Petplan which covered £2,000 Veterinary Fees (excess £55), £750 Complementary Treatment (excess £55), £250 Advertising and Reward, £250 Boarding Fees - costing me £11.05 per month so I'm pleased with that! P@H was cheaper but less cover.

Awwww poor Dipsy :( is the little guy ok now? That must have scared the life out of you when that happened :shock:

I just went ahead & bought my pet insurance. I went with Petplan which covered £2,000 Veterinary Fees (excess £55), £750 Complementary Treatment (excess £55), £250 Advertising and Reward, £250 Boarding Fees - costing me £11.05 per month so I'm pleased with that! P@H was cheaper but less cover.

Awwww poor Dipsy :( is the little guy ok now? That must have scared the life out of you when that happened :shock:

That's brilliant news that you have got that piece of mind now, and yes thank you Dipsy is fine. I couldn't believe how one minute I was watching him and Pippa and laughing because they were literally flying like real loony tunes bunnies, and then there was this awful sickening thud as he hit the wall, and literally slid down it, but was just laying on the floor, with blood pouring out of his head. I just phoned the vet, briefly said what had happened and that I was on my way, didn't even ask for an appointment or anything, scooped him up in a little blanket thing, and was out to the car. You see what I mean though, as who would have thought something like that would happen indoors like that, you just never know. Fortunately, he hadn't done any real damage just bruising and the cut, but was best to check with the x-rays. It was cleaned thoroughly and sutured, and he came home the next day. Was horrible his shaved head, the 'bunny thug cut' really did nothing for him :lol::lol:

I have been dithering over insurance for a few weeks now and decided instead of agonising over the minor price differences I will just go with PP as no one has had anything bad to say about them (apart from the hospital cover thing).

So yay, my buns are insured and that's a weight off my mind for 67p a day!

That's brilliant news that you have got that piece of mind now, and yes thank you Dipsy is fine. I couldn't believe how one minute I was watching him and Pippa and laughing because they were literally flying like real loony tunes bunnies, and then there was this awful sickening thud as he hit the wall, and literally slid down it, but was just laying on the floor, with blood pouring out of his head. I just phoned the vet, briefly said what had happened and that I was on my way, didn't even ask for an appointment or anything, scooped him up in a little blanket thing, and was out to the car. You see what I mean though, as who would have thought something like that would happen indoors like that, you just never know. Fortunately, he hadn't done any real damage just bruising and the cut, but was best to check with the x-rays. It was cleaned thoroughly and sutured, and he came home the next day. Was horrible his shaved head, the 'bunny thug cut' really did nothing for him :lol::lol:

Aww bless him :) I'm glad he's all ok now & I hope he is keeping his binky's under control hehe. Honestly I would have been in shock & cried if that happened to my bunny, I'm such a wussy bunny Mum :lol: like you said though you don't realise the risk factors an indoor bunny can face so I am definitely glad I have him insured for peace of mind now, thanks again for convincing me :D

Back