• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Illness [Please Note!]

- stress, did your bunny see or hear something that upset them?

I Highly Doubt This, But He May Have Had Some Disturbing When We Ripped Our Laminate Up. He Lost His Friend Sometime Last Year (She Run Away:cry:)
So He May Still Not Be Over Her, I Dunno. But He Has A New Friend Now. And He Seems To Get Along With Her!

He's Fine At This Present Moment In Time Though.

I Highly Doubt This, But He May Have Had Some Disturbing When We Ripped Our Laminate Up. He Lost His Friend Sometime Last Year (She Run Away:cry:)
So He May Still Not Be Over Her, I Dunno. But He Has A New Friend Now. And He Seems To Get Along With Her!

He's Fine At This Present Moment In Time Though.

Aw! thats a shame about his friend and also nice that he has a new buddy!

A similar thing happend to my little Sammy twice last year. Gave him his breakfast in the morning but he only ate a little and by 2pm I noticed has dish was still practically full (unusual) and he hadnt been to the toilet. He also looked as if he was trying to lie down but coudnt get comfy. So we brought him in that night and just kept an eye on him. We went to bed leaving him downstairs with food, water and hay. I checked on him during the night and there didnt seem any change but by morning he had ate most of his dinner and was tucking into hay, he also had left a few caecotrophs on the floor
One of the times we gave him a bit of cucumber which he wasnt used to, so I dont know have that upset his little tummy.

Please tell me how cos it would save me many trips to the vets and them having to check my buns back teeth :?

I was wondering the same thing, you can't tell if their back teeth are okay without them being checked properly :?

Surely its better to at least get them checked, as I said its free at my surgery so doesn't do any harm to do so.

How much does it cost to get a bun's back teeth checked?

Our Tofu had a weepy eye and they vet gave us eyedrops. He said if the eye didn't clear in a week, then we had to get the back teeth checked. The eye cleared though so no need to knock out the bun so that we could get a look into his mouth.

But just wanted to know how much we might have been set back for a peek.

How much does it cost to get a bun's back teeth checked?

Our Tofu had a weepy eye and they vet gave us eyedrops. He said if the eye didn't clear in a week, then we had to get the back teeth checked. The eye cleared though so no need to knock out the bun so that we could get a look into his mouth.

But just wanted to know how much we might have been set back for a peek.

It will probably cost however much your vet charges for a normal consultation. They don't normally charge differently depending on what's wrong, they charge for an initial or follow-up consult plus any products or meds that are used in connection with the ailment.

He Handles Veg Fine, There's Nothing Wrong With His Back Teeth. I Can Tell =]

I would also be interested to know if there's a trick to checking back teethat home. I haven't found one yet apart from feeling the jaw for bumps. In fact a bunny of mine that simply went in for her regular vaccination/maintenance check was found to have molar spurs starting despite being the picture of health, a hay eating monster, and a very happy girl.

Our vet firmly believes that a very large amount of rabbit health issues can be prevented by good dental health so surely it's always worth a vet check even if you think that there isn't anything wrong. I would imagine the only way you can be sure is to have a proper look in the mouth with the correct equipment.

Back