• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Housing

Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums so would like to say Hi to begin with and also would like to ask a question.

We will be getting a rabbit at some stage in the next two weeks. A friend bought a bunny a few months ago and is now moving abroad so we are taking the bunny to look after it. My question is about where to keep the rabbit.

The rabbit is 6 months old and has been kept in a cage so far. The cage is HUGE and more than big enough for the rabbit to have space to move around, stand up on it's legs etc. We have got a relatively big back garden and will eventually buy a run so the rabbit will have time outside but I don't really want to keep the rabbit outside all the time as we get a lot of rain and adverse weather here. My question is whether or not it is ok to keep the rabbit in the garage? I know that he rabbit would probably be out of the garage most of the day and will have free run of most of the house but at night time, or if we are at work, then we would like to be able to keep the rabbit in our garage. The garage is unusued (we do not have a car) so I have no concern about fumes. Although there are no windows in the garage it is pretty well-ventilated through the door and is generally cool (but not cold). Would this be ok?

Also, we have a three year old son who is very excited about the idea of having a bunny. We have spoken to him about the fact that he is not to lift or tug the rabbit but is there anything else we should be warning him about?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Lil :wave:

is the garage near your house ? if so, then maybe you could check up on him regularly and see how he reacts, is there no way of having a vent put in the wall ?

Hi Poppy,

Thanks for the reply. The garage is actually attached to our house, you enter it through our hallway so he would be regularly checked up on as he is, in theory, in the house. We had intended to let him live in his cage (it's actually a dog cage so pretty huge) and build a small run so that he is able to get in and out of the cage as he pleases and run around the garage. Then, during the afternoon/evening when we are home he can come into the house and have free run there and obviously as much time outside as is possible in this rainy country!

Do you think this would be ok? There is quite a bit of ventilation in the garage through vents in the door I'm just not sure if this is enough? I've never had a bunny before and want to make sure I'm doing it ok and not causing him any pain or trouble! :roll:

Aslong as there is fresh air coming in the garage, and its never stuffy or hot, i cant see a problem, i bet he will love having a run around the garage ! ;)

Just make sure he has constant fresh water and hay :) x

That sounds good as cages are not really big enough as a permanent hime. Mine are normal size buns but free range in my garden for a lot of the day then have a 10ft x 4ft dog kennel to sleep in at night.

The RSPCA say that a hutch should be at least 6ft x2ft x 2ft preferably attached to a run of at least 6ft x 4ft x2ft which the rabbit has access to 24:7.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure exactly what size the cage is but it is absolutely enormous. The plan is to open it out at the front and build a run in the garage for the rabbit to be able to run around as he pleased in the garage. I'm glad that that is ok, I'm really nervous about making sure I do it all right!!!:D

Would it be possible for you to put everything up on shelves in the garage and let him have his cage door open all the time?

Dog crates are great as a base but bunnies need lots of exercise .

I never thought of that but it could be possible, I will have to have a look and see what we can do! Thanks for all the advice and help, it's greatly appreciated.

Oh, another question. I'm not sure what vaccinations the bunny has had but what vaccinations should they have? Just want to make sure she has had all she needs or we will arrange for her to have them!

I never thought of that but it could be possible, I will have to have a look and see what we can do! Thanks for all the advice and help, it's greatly appreciated.

Oh, another question. I'm not sure what vaccinations the bunny has had but what vaccinations should they have? Just want to make sure she has had all she needs or we will arrange for her to have them!

Vaccinations are Myxi biannually and VHD anually. Well done for getting advice first :wave:

Just a thought: bunny is likely to get very lonely in the garage alone whilst you are at work or doing other things. It would be worth considering getting him neutered and then looking for a neutered friend for him. Opposite sex pairings are usually the easiest, and a rabbit rescue will be able to help you find a compatible mate xx

How cold is the garage in winter? I would be concerned about bunny going in the house in winter with heating on then back out to the cold garage.

Back