• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit breathing & central heating?

Hello everyone.

I have a problem, my rabbit Trix I've always kept his cage a few feet away from the radiator because my place has always attracted the cold. And as of lately his breathing specially when eating (also heard it when he's not been eating) sounds odd like a dry/snuffly/snorty generally someone with a cold it's typically hard for me to explain right now I'm just feeling like a bad owner. :(

I've moved him into the cooler area of the room, closer to the window. I've read that this could just be no moisture in the air from the central heating? Can anyone give me advice please?

Thanks

GSB

I think you should get the wee one checked out by a vet, it's too hard to say what could be wrong with him.

But yes, Rabbits are better with a cooler area.

You can buy a weather station for about £15, which keeps an eye on temperature and moisture levels. The house is likely to be quite dry at the moment.

Definitely wants checking by the vet in case of infection. Good luck!

don't be too hard on yourself.. it can be a real challenge getting the right temperature for them. with ours now, bisc prefers it a bit warmer, as does mollie piggy, however benjie piggy gets too hot. when we had matt aswell, he was a chronic snuffle bunny and needed the room cooler.

hopefully he will be ok, but always best to get symptoms like these checked out as it could be a respiratory infection. do you have a rabbit savvy vet already? if not, we would be happy to recommend somewhere for you if that helps :)

Thanks for your replies everyone!!

I'll look into them weather stations, I've been going through the forum and I have to say it's rather addicting!

And thankfully my vet is rabbit savvy I have an appointment for next week, fingers crossed and I'll keep everyone updated. :)

Thanks again!!

GSB

Hello everyone.

I have a problem, my rabbit Trix I've always kept his cage a few feet away from the radiator because my place has always attracted the cold. And as of lately his breathing specially when eating (also heard it when he's not been eating) sounds odd like a dry/snuffly/snorty generally someone with a cold it's typically hard for me to explain right now I'm just feeling like a bad owner. :(

I've moved him into the cooler area of the room, closer to the window. I've read that this could just be no moisture in the air from the central heating? Can anyone give me advice please?

Thanks

GSB

As others have said, it's best to get him checked out to rule out any infection. It could be connected with the central heating or he could be a generally snorty bunny? (I have had them, and they don't respond to antibiotics!)

Good luck when you go to the vet and welcome to RU :wave:

Just a quick update.

Trix has the vet next week I have a particular vet I like to see as the other one is.. Lets just say not very good in handling animals so I've started him on a probiotic for now. And I've come to think it maybe wasn't the central heating (maybe that hasn't helped) but his dust extracted hay from Snowflake is well FULL of dust so that has probably been the cause of the problem. Grrr!! :(

Well I've been to the vets and he said that it's inflamation possibly from the dust he has no discharge or fluid anywhere the vet gave Trix a full check, feel and listening too and prescribed him some Metacam and told me to use a less dusty hay such as Burgess and that the snorty grunty breathing noise that he does and also does when he's eating can be a rabbits way of 'swearing' and inflamation. :( Poor bunny!!

Well I've been to the vets and he said that it's inflamation possibly from the dust he has no discharge or fluid anywhere the vet gave Trix a full check, feel and listening too and prescribed him some Metacam and told me to use a less dusty hay such as Burgess and that the snorty grunty breathing noise that he does and also does when he's eating can be a rabbits way of 'swearing' and inflamation. :( Poor bunny!!

Rabbits certainly do develop allergic reactions to dust. Their little noses can be quite sensitive!

Can you shake the hay out before you put the strands in a hay rack or litter tray?

Let us know how he gets on with a less dusty version, and good luck :D

Back