• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit biting clothes

Hi! Is it normal for kiwi to be biting my clothes (while I’m wearing them) all the time? It’s very annoying and can actually be quite painful. I have little bite marks all over my legs because of it! He doesn’t really dig them, just bites them and pulls on them with his teeth. I’m finding it very hard to spend time with him and bond with him because recently, whenever I sit down to play with him he starts biting my legs! Could this be because of hormones? Kiwi never used to do this before. He just started doing it a few days ago. What could be causing this? What can I do to make him stop?

I’d say this could be hormones again, but rabbits are naturally diggers and chewers anyways. Also remember that rabbits can’t talk and so they often use their teeth to move things/people, so this could possibly be the case if you are in his space/way and he is not happy about it. Although there’s no way of definitely stopping it and I’m sure neutering would help if not resolve the behaviour altogether, I’d just try to discourage the behaviour as much as possible by gently using the word ‘no’ and moving him away when he does bite, also possibly using praise or treats and rewarding behaviour you like (not biting, coming over to you etc.) in order for him to start associating you being around him with good things.

This sounds hormonal, how old is Kiwi and is he neutered? If not neutered I'd suggest getting it done. Rabbits can get territorial and aggressive. My bun started doing this when she became a teen around 5 months when we went into her room. Mostly to get us to move. She calmed down after she was spayed.

Back