• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit behaviour

I've been reading a lot on rabbit behaviour... but I'm really confused when it comes to my rabbits. I don't really understand their body language. All of them run away from me. I always see advice on things like litter training where people have said 'just pick him up and put him in the litter tray'... I've never been able to just pick my rabbits up. Am I really terrible owner? I've never hurt them and I know how to handle them well... But they just run away. :cry:

Rabbits don't like being picked up - it's like being carried away by a hawk. So I wouldn't let that worry you too much.

Try lying with them on the floor - rabbits are so nosey - they won't be able to resist coming to investigate you!

Rabbits don't like being picked up - it's like being carried away by a hawk. So I wouldn't let that worry you too much.

Try lying with them on the floor - rabbits are so nosey - they won't be able to resist coming to investigate you!

I love your rabbits, they're so cute. :love:

I know they don't like being picked up.. but why does it seem that other people's rabbits don't mind? I often lay with them on the floor but as soon as I put my hand over to stroke them they sniff it and bolt off.. :(

I love your rabbits, they're so cute. :love:

I know they don't like being picked up.. but why does it seem that other people's rabbits don't mind? I often lay with them on the floor but as soon as I put my hand over to stroke them they sniff it and bolt off.. :(

I can't even catch Buckley let alone get him off the ground :D Don't worry about it. Very few people have buns who like to be held. Most of the time it's just having experience with bunnies and other animals that enables people to pick them up.

With the litter training, work out where your buns are peeing and put a litter tray there. This will help them to learn to use the tray for wees.
For poos, pick up poos that aren't in the tray and put them in the tray. It can take a while but it'll work out, I'm sure :)
Also, when first litter training don't change the litter too often as this can confuse them; they could start thinking they aren't allowed to wee or poo in the tray if you change it too often :)

Thank you :) so are yours! I love fluffiy bunnies hehe!

Mine can be like this with being a bit 'bolty' Bailey especially. It's a pain - if I clatter anything in the kitchen against the sink, so metally sounds she HATES it and shoots off into the other room.

I feel guilty :( But have to wash the pots - Binky doesn't usually mind.

Don't reach out to touch them - just ignore them. That's what I do if I lie down with them - or put my arm out and leave it there etc.

Food is the best way to bribery for cuddles though! hehe! So pellet time should be special I always think. We make a big deal out of pellets.

What are your buns set up etc like - sorry I don't know much about them. Are the indoors/outdoors? in 1 or 2 groups?

I also talk to my rabbits a lot - I like to think they recognise my voice now and know it's me. They hide away when strangers are in the house, but not when I am.

A lot of bunnies run away when approached, that's not a reflection on you :) Try spending time in their space, sitting or lying on the floor and ignoring them. They'll soon get more brave. Hand feeding their dinner is an excellent idea too.

Thank you :) so are yours! I love fluffiy bunnies hehe!

Mine can be like this with being a bit 'bolty' Bailey especially. It's a pain - if I clatter anything in the kitchen against the sink, so metally sounds she HATES it and shoots off into the other room.

I feel guilty :( But have to wash the pots - Binky doesn't usually mind.

Don't reach out to touch them - just ignore them. That's what I do if I lie down with them - or put my arm out and leave it there etc.

Food is the best way to bribery for cuddles though! hehe! So pellet time should be special I always think. We make a big deal out of pellets.

What are your buns set up etc like - sorry I don't know much about them. Are the indoors/outdoors? in 1 or 2 groups?

I also talk to my rabbits a lot - I like to think they recognise my voice now and know it's me. They hide away when strangers are in the house, but not when I am.

:) Yeah, they come to me if I have treats!

They're indoor rabbits, they live in my room. I have two that are bonded and one that is on his own.

The one that's not bonded (Pixel) is deaf, and so doesn't respond to my voice, obviously...

I just wish they would show me the tiniest bit of affection, but they don't at all. I think they hate me. :(

A lot of bunnies run away when approached, that's not a reflection on you :) Try spending time in their space, sitting or lying on the floor and ignoring them. They'll soon get more brave. Hand feeding their dinner is an excellent idea too.

Thanks :) I mean, they're almost 2 years old now and I have lived in the same room as them their whole lives... They often investigate me, but they've never really been brave. They always bolt if I move. One of them often tries to bite/scratch my hand if I put it close to him. :(

I can't even catch Buckley let alone get him off the ground :D Don't worry about it. Very few people have buns who like to be held. Most of the time it's just having experience with bunnies and other animals that enables people to pick them up.

With the litter training, work out where your buns are peeing and put a litter tray there. This will help them to learn to use the tray for wees.
For poos, pick up poos that aren't in the tray and put them in the tray. It can take a while but it'll work out, I'm sure :)
Also, when first litter training don't change the litter too often as this can confuse them; they could start thinking they aren't allowed to wee or poo in the tray if you change it too often :)

:) Yeah, they're quite well litter trained actually..

:) Yeah, they come to me if I have treats!

They're indoor rabbits, they live in my room. I have two that are bonded and one that is on his own.

The one that's not bonded (Pixel) is deaf, and so doesn't respond to my voice, obviously...

I just wish they would show me the tiniest bit of affection, but they don't at all. I think they hate me. :(

Pixel is such a cutie - are both those pics of him? on the left?

He will be cautious because he can't hear you approaching - I don't think rabbits see particularly well anyway(espcially fluffies who can't see behind them etc), not clearly, so they use their ears a lot.

They don't hate you. Bailey is only interested in me if I have food. So no different to you. Mine never come and sit with me, don't want nose rubs etc.

Just spend as much time with them - down on their level x

The big fluffy bun in my signature has lived with me for three years, and always comes up to me for headrubs and sits on my knee and watches television too, but my other bun King only accepts noserubs on his terms, but I know he doesn't hate me :)

Sharik I can pick up but she doesn't like it, and jumps off at the first opportunity - King is impossible to catch, and he goes ballistic when I try to pick him up so I have simply stopped trying. If I sit down though, he will come and investigate after a while and in some cases also climb on me, particularly if I am eating a banana :roll:

I guess they are all different, but rest assured they don't hate you :D

Pixel is such a cutie - are both those pics of him? on the left?

He will be cautious because he can't hear you approaching - I don't think rabbits see particularly well anyway(espcially fluffies who can't see behind them etc), not clearly, so they use their ears a lot.

They don't hate you. Bailey is only interested in me if I have food. So no different to you. Mine never come and sit with me, don't want nose rubs etc.

Just spend as much time with them - down on their level x

Thanks :) He's got a lovely character, really funny. No, he's the cinnamon butterfly mini lop, the one on the far left is Minun, he's a blue otter nethie.

Aw, glad it's not just me!

Thanks x :love:

Are they neutered? Unneutered rabbits can be more territorial, which is perhaps when you are being bitten/scratched. Also, as you have unbonded rabbits in the same room I assume they are caged? You dont 'invade' their space and go to stroke them do you, as this could make them nervous, their cage should be their personal space that they arent bothered in. Some rabbits get very funny about 'their' space.

I also found that my nervy bun Annabella grows in confidence around me when she is free-range 24/7, I imagine as she's around me all the time even when I'm asleep (theyre in my bedroom) and as then the room is her cage as such, that she feels more confident in it.

You're not a bad bunny mum, rabbits are prey animals and will act as such. I have only ever met one rabbit that actually liked being picked up, it is really unusual. Most rabbits that allow themselves to be picked up are just tolerating it. But you can do things to make them more interested in you. You can hand-feed all pellets/treats/veg and talk to them whilst you are doing it. Talk to them a lot, interact with them. Also, if you are doing things they dislike like stroking them, if you can reduce that you will gain their trust easier.

Annabelle doesnt much like humans, and would run from me all the time. I stopped trying to get her to accept being touched, if she didnt like it there is no point, and she slowly grew to learn that I could be trusted not to touch her. She learnt to trust me and would come over to say hi and see if I had food then. 10 months down the line and I can give her noserubs now occasionally and she seems to sort of like them, but it took a lot to get to that point. Its really annoying as she is a lionhead and I'd love to brush her as she gets matts :( but I have to settle for regularly sneakily checking to make sure she doesnt have them whilst giving her a stroke, and cutting/brushing them out when she gets a knot. Its not ideal but she doesnt like being touched so less stressful this way.

She acts like she hates me, yes, and she wont even go near me today after I took her to the vets earlier, but I know she likes me a bit, because when someone visits they think I only have one rabbit - Annabelle is nowhere to be seen! She hides as soon as anyone else walks in the room, sometimes just when she hears them coming, and yet she stays out around me, so I know she must like me a little. She mainly likes me when I have food :lol:

Last edited:
Are they neutered? Unneutered rabbits can be more territorial, which is perhaps when you are being bitten/scratched. Also, as you have unbonded rabbits in the same room I assume they are caged? You dont 'invade' their space and go to stroke them do you, as this could make them nervous, their cage should be their personal space that they arent bothered in. Some rabbits get very funny about 'their' space.

I also found that my nervy bun Annabella grows in confidence around me when she is free-range 24/7, I imagine as she's around me all the time even when I'm asleep (theyre in my bedroom) and as then the room is her cage as such, that she feels more confident in it.

You're not a bad bunny mum, rabbits are prey animals and will act as such. I have only ever met one rabbit that actually liked being picked up, it is really unusual. Most rabbits that allow themselves to be picked up are just tolerating it. But you can do things to make them more interested in you. You can hand-feed all pellets/treats/veg and talk to them whilst you are doing it. Talk to them a lot, interact with them. Also, if you are doing things they dislike like stroking them, if you can reduce that you will gain their trust easier.

Annabelle doesnt much like humans, and would run from me all the time. I stopped trying to get her to accept being touched, if she didnt like it there is no point, and she slowly grew to learn that I could be trusted not to touch her. She learnt to trust me and would come over to say hi and see if I had food then. 10 months down the line and I can give her noserubs now occasionally and she seems to sort of like them, but it took a lot to get to that point. Its really annoying as she is a lionhead and I'd love to brush her as she gets matts :( but I have to settle for regularly sneakily checking to make sure she doesnt have them whilst giving her a stroke, and cutting/brushing them out when she gets a knot. Its not ideal but she doesnt like being touched so less stressful this way.

She acts like she hates me, yes, and she wont even go near me today after I took her to the vets earlier, but I know she likes me a bit, because when someone visits they think I only have one rabbit - Annabelle is nowhere to be seen! She hides as soon as anyone else walks in the room, sometimes just when she hears them coming, and yet she stays out around me, so I know she must like me a little. She mainly likes me when I have food :lol:

Yes, they are all neutered. I'll try hand-feeding them everyday... I worry about letting them out 24/7 because I never know what they're going to do!

Sounds very cute. :love:

2 of my 9 let me pick them up. The rest I have to get in their hutch so the cant get away to pick them up for nail clipping and bum checks etc. They're not frightened though, just don't like it. The vet said their heart rates were perfectly fine and not racing when I was handling them. I call out "bed time" and they run in the hutch, then I pick them out as I need them, and they get a treat.

I would also love to snuggle my buns in my arms but they don't like it. i only pick em up when i have to. they come to me when they want a fuss and will lick me when they feel like it and i just have to be happy with that . mind you they do that quite a few times a day! our bunny at work will tolerate being cuddled so i suppose they are a bit like us some of us are touchy feeley and some like our space.

2 of my 9 let me pick them up. The rest I have to get in their hutch so the cant get away to pick them up for nail clipping and bum checks etc. They're not frightened though, just don't like it. The vet said their heart rates were perfectly fine and not racing when I was handling them. I call out "bed time" and they run in the hutch, then I pick them out as I need them, and they get a treat.

How did you train them to go home when you say 'bed time'?

All bunnies are very different in their likes and dislikes. We just have to accept them for the way they are.

Loads of patience can pay off, but not always.

More specific and useful information has already been given.

Have fun............in whatever way they will allow you to interract with them.

Patience....................:thumb:

How did you train them to go home when you say 'bed time'?

I don't know, I think just because I would say 'bed time bed time' as a rounded them up so they just started associating maybe. Blixy was the first to do it, because she hates being picked up or even touched really (she spent the first 6 months of her life living in a two yr old's bedroom) if she goes in the hutch herself I don't have to catch her and put her in. Or maybe it's the fact that I walk round pointing at the hutch door and making sweeping motions towards it as I say bed time that got them to catch on.. lol

Back