• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit advice please

Pebbles is 9 months old and I really wanted another rabbit around her age, for obvious reasons.

However, I went to view Barnaby at a rescue and couldn't leave him there (although obviously I had too!) He's around 3 years old, so much older than Pebbles, but he has been neutered and myxi vaccinated.

To me it was a no-brainer. I could easily have selected a baby bun from a pet shop or I could have waited until February when the rescue would have had babies ready.

But Barnaby tugged at my heart-strings. He'd been in the rescue for 8 months and is an unpopular colour (agouti / wild rabbit). I knew he'd stay there if I didn't offer him a home. So although he wasn't the age I was after, I gave him a forever home.

No-one knows what the future holds, he may outlive Pebbles, you cannot predict these things.

If you really can't choose, flip a coin. If you're disappointed with the result or go for 'best out of 3', there's your answer.

Good luck :wave:

I'd definitely get the older one.

If you go for the baby, you'll have two singles until its old enough to be neutered and they can be bonded, which seems a bit silly. :)

I'd say older, the older bun may well live longer than your current bun or vice versa, you never can tell.

Have they done any bunny dating with your bun to assess how well either of the pairings will work? Have you tried any other rescues? there are plenty on here and I'm pretty sure there is no shortage of neutered boys. Have a look on rabbit rehome, rescues like hunnybunnys rehome nationally.

The disadvantage I would say to a baby bunny is that you dont know what their personality will be like once theyre sexually mature and there is every possibility that the babby will start humping the female and there be fights break out BEFORE he is old enough/ big enough for an anastetic and then you will have to seperate them and rebond later if that happens. Also, with an older bun not only do you pretty much know their personallity but also any health problems are likely to have already shown up by then. Getting a baby doesn't garrentee long happy healthy lives.

Have they done any bunny dating with your bun to assess how well either of the pairings will work? Have you tried any other rescues? there are plenty on here and I'm pretty sure there is no shortage of neutered boys. Have a look on rabbit rehome, rescues like hunnybunnys rehome nationally.

The disadvantage I would say to a baby bunny is that you dont know what their personality will be like once theyre sexually mature and there is every possibility that the babby will start humping the female and there be fights break out BEFORE he is old enough/ big enough for an anastetic and then you will have to seperate them and rebond later if that happens. Also, with an older bun not only do you pretty much know their personallity but also any health problems are likely to have already shown up by then. Getting a baby doesn't garrentee long happy healthy lives.

No bunny dating has been done Well i still havent decided its really hard :? id have both if i could:love:

Back