• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick hello and update

:wave: Thanks Karen they arrived today. What wonderful presents :love: please thank D for me too. Gracie will be a very happy bunny :D

I'm glad they got there safely and will pass on your message to Danielle. :D Oh and please tell Gracie that the grass bed isn't for weeing in, which is what Bubbles seems to think about hers. :roll: :lol::lol:

So glad to hear you are alive if not so well :cry: I do hope you manage to get some rest and feel much better very soon. Am very pleased that all the buns are doing ok and you all survived the cold weather as well.
Welcome back :D:wave: x

That weather was just too much wasn't it:( I got flu over Christmas too, it was such a struggle. I would happily have never touched a rabbit or guinea pig in my life again in return for a day in bed. I've got Fibromyalgia not ME so at least I don't usually get tired, but over Christmas I went to bed as soon as they were all tucked in. One night I slept from 4pm right through until 8am the next day wracked between roasting and shaking. Hardly any of the volunteers could get here so I had even more to do than usual, and the water bottles freezing almost as soon as they were put out was just too much:(

Christmas day itself I spent evacuating rabbits from the aviary after a night spent listening to a fox making everyone thump while it pestered the rabbits in there. It did get a rabbit for Christmas dinner, but thankfully, although very nasty all the same, it was poor Cherry who got dug up from where I had buried him a couple of weeks earlier and not a live rabbit. Needless to say it wasn't my best Christmas ever:?

The weather and the struggle with not being well really made me realise how big this place is and how insane I am to be doing this:roll::roll: I really could have given up entirely if I could have worked out a way to do it. Luckily I am feeling better now and find I am still dedicated to carrying on, but I am never going to have more than a hundred rabbits again. I have had to turn away several more over the past few days but there has to be a limit. With ME you have to be even more careful with your numbers than I do. Painkillers work most of the time (I am always full of codeine and ibuprofen) and at least give me a few hours of time I can work well between doses, but ME is so much more draining and debilitating, I know I couldn't do this if I felt like that. You are sensible to try and plan around what you can do and the rabbits will benefit from extra space and attention. It is better to provide quality care to a few than risking not coping with more and not being able to sustain it for as long as they need you. I always think that a rescue is not complete until the animal has died in a good home where he/she had everything he/she needed and can never be abused again.

Hi Liz, I tried to PM you but I think your inbox was filled many moons ago.

My heart is breaking over little Toby, I really thought he would be on the up now :( Goodness only knows what is going on inside him :'(

I hope you and Steve feel better soon, and hugs for all the buns.

xxx

Glad you are feeling a little better. :)

Fantastic news about both Daisy and Wesley. And lots of vibes for Herman and Toby

Hope you feeling better soon and nose rubs to all the bunnies :love:

That weather was just too much wasn't it:( I got flu over Christmas too, it was such a struggle. I would happily have never touched a rabbit or guinea pig in my life again in return for a day in bed. I've got Fibromyalgia not ME so at least I don't usually get tired, but over Christmas I went to bed as soon as they were all tucked in. One night I slept from 4pm right through until 8am the next day wracked between roasting and shaking. Hardly any of the volunteers could get here so I had even more to do than usual, and the water bottles freezing almost as soon as they were put out was just too much:(

Christmas day itself I spent evacuating rabbits from the aviary after a night spent listening to a fox making everyone thump while it pestered the rabbits in there. It did get a rabbit for Christmas dinner, but thankfully, although very nasty all the same, it was poor Cherry who got dug up from where I had buried him a couple of weeks earlier and not a live rabbit. Needless to say it wasn't my best Christmas ever:?

The weather and the struggle with not being well really made me realise how big this place is and how insane I am to be doing this:roll::roll: I really could have given up entirely if I could have worked out a way to do it. Luckily I am feeling better now and find I am still dedicated to carrying on, but I am never going to have more than a hundred rabbits again. I have had to turn away several more over the past few days but there has to be a limit. With ME you have to be even more careful with your numbers than I do. Painkillers work most of the time (I am always full of codeine and ibuprofen) and at least give me a few hours of time I can work well between doses, but ME is so much more draining and debilitating, I know I couldn't do this if I felt like that. You are sensible to try and plan around what you can do and the rabbits will benefit from extra space and attention. It is better to provide quality care to a few than risking not coping with more and not being able to sustain it for as long as they need you. I always think that a rescue is not complete until the animal has died in a good home where he/she had everything he/she needed and can never be abused again.

I think a lot of rescues are feeling the same way, this awful weather and then a flu 'epidemic' have made lots of people realise it is so hard to cope in these conditions. Its just so sad that animals have to be turned away because we are struggling to cope, last year I thought the winter was a blip, but after this year I have to assume it will be normal and cater towards that and what we can deal with!
Roll on spring!

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Great to hear from you Liz, sorry to hear about your struggles but glad you are on the mend now. And Wesley's news is awesome.

You know where I am if you need me xxxxx

Hi Liz!

Great to see you back online. I lost adonia over the Christmas period which was terribly sad.

I think you are doing an amazing job as always with your buns!!

Lots of love & hugs for you xxx

I am sorry you had such a bad christmas period too. I could never cope with the number of bunnies you have, you do an amazing job :love:

The main problem to start with was the snow and ice in the garden. I have wobbly legs and a dizzy head and was falling over 5 or 6 times a day just trying to keep water bowls defrosted and bunnies fed :( It got so bad Christmas day that Steve went out looking for a few handfuls of council grit to try to make the paths better for me!

I definately never want to be in that situation again and with the winters seemingly getting colder, this seems more likely. Which is why we have made the really hard decision to reduce our numbers. I can honestly say none of rabbits went with out anything this winter as they always come first but I have to be a little selfish for myself as I can't cope with making myself that ill and exhausted for them. I don't take any medication as my body has decided to become sensitive to most things including paracetamol :( I think if we can initially get down to 30 and then maybe aim for 25 long term. We haven't taken in any bunnies for a couple of months now, but strangely our running costs have been terrible the last month or so :?

I must have been doing something right through all the struggling though as all our bunnies are still alive and well. We haven't lost one in over 6 weeks which is unusual for us. And We didn;t even need the vet over the Christmas period :D

Hi Liz, I tried to PM you but I think your inbox was filled many moons ago.

My heart is breaking over little Toby, I really thought he would be on the up now :( Goodness only knows what is going on inside him :'(

I hope you and Steve feel better soon, and hugs for all the buns.

xxx

Yep my forum supporter ran out a few weeks back and I don;t have the energy to check through 100 pm's at the moment :oops:

Toby is happy and content in himself and the injections have improved his infection a little but not as much as we would like. We were all really shocked about the weight loss as he is eating for England. It was only a small loss but he should be gaining rather than loosing. He is back at the vets tuesday for another weight check and we will decide what to do from there.

His urine test came back normal so thats good, but he is definitely weeing and drinking far too much :?

Toby has found a new spot under the rocking chair in the bedroom and spends all day a sleep under there with his head poking out, so sweet :love::love:

Yep my forum supporter ran out a few weeks back and I don;t have the energy to check through 100 pm's at the moment :oops:

Toby is happy and content in himself and the injections have improved his infection a little but not as much as we would like. We were all really shocked about the weight loss as he is eating for England. It was only a small loss but he should be gaining rather than loosing. He is back at the vets tuesday for another weight check and we will decide what to do from there.

His urine test came back normal so thats good, but he is definitely weeing and drinking far too much :?

Toby has found a new spot under the rocking chair in the bedroom and spends all day a sleep under there with his head poking out, so sweet :love::love:

Awww, thank you for this Liz. I am glad his wee came back ok!!

Just one thing, when he was living with his previous owner, he had a water bowl, which was often tipped over or dirty.... perhaps hes drinking more because he actually has water which he didnt always have access too? And he never ate hay at his last home either, so if hes eating hay now then that must dry his mouth out a bit too. Just a thought??

I guess the manky water wouldnt have helped his general condition though......he was bedded on woodshavings.... and cleaned out once a week or less.... his pee and poo was everywhere..... which even included in the water bowl too :(

Awww, thank you for this Liz. I am glad his wee came back ok!!

Just one thing, when he was living with his previous owner, he had a water bowl, which was often tipped over or dirty.... perhaps hes drinking more because he actually has water which he didnt always have access too? And he never ate hay at his last home either, so if hes eating hay now then that must dry his mouth out a bit too. Just a thought??

I guess the manky water wouldnt have helped his general condition though......he was bedded on woodshavings.... and cleaned out once a week or less.... his pee and poo was everywhere..... which even included in the water bowl too :(

Poor boy :( He isn't eating hay at the moment.

Considering he isn't castrated he is an extremely clean bunny, does everything in his litter tray :) Hopefully we will get some good news on Tuesday, fingers crossed x

Considering he isn't castrated he is an extremely clean bunny, does everything in his litter tray :) Hopefully we will get some good news on Tuesday, fingers crossed x

Hope you do get good news for Toby. Spenser is very tidy too although not neutered yet. Sometimens he does poops on his blankie if he can't be bothered to move, but he always wees in his basin.

Aww, thats great!! I imagined him being a mucky bun.... but I guess the condition of his hutch was beyond his control, poor mite.

Could the water thing have any consiquence on his current health?? I would assume it wouldnt have helped any infections in his mouth (dirty water)......

Aww, thats great!! I imagined him being a mucky bun.... but I guess the condition of his hutch was beyond his control, poor mite.

Could the water thing have any consiquence on his current health?? I would assume it wouldnt have helped any infections in his mouth (dirty water)......

I don't know :? Couldn;t have been nice drinking filthy water with so many sores in his mouth :( His mouth is infection free at the moment it is just in his nose. I guess time will tell if there is anything else sinister going on in his little body.

Back