• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting Matilda and Grayson outside?

Don't you have another 2/3 dogs in your household anyway?

Am I missing something here? Why can't Elsie join them? :?

They are older labradors

1. elsie is to bouncy for them and will not back down

and 2, Elsie is tiny compared to them, and if left alone could injure her, as they are so big

They do play together but supervised only at the moment

Again, I might be wrong, but if you were genuinely secure in your decision, you wouldn't be posting, and you also wouldn't be reactive to people's opinions because you would know, in your gut, that the decision was what was best for your bunnies. So, to me, your reaction says you're not entirely comfortable with it yourself?

In my experience, rabbits are very adaptable (unless you have a bunny that is very stressy). I moved between home and uni a lot in the last few months, and the bunnies were indoor at uni, outdoor at home. It wasn't ideal, but they were all absolutely fine, no health issues at all. Obviously it would be nice for you to be able to have all your animals indoors, but obviously it isn't working out as you envisioned and as long as you provide large enough outdoor accommodation, I don't see the problem with you moving them outside. It's not like putting a single bun out, they have each other xx

Again, I might be wrong, but if you were genuinely secure in your decision, you wouldn't be posting, and you also wouldn't be reactive to people's opinions because you would know, in your gut, that the decision was what was best for your bunnies. So, to me, your reaction says you're not entirely comfortable with it yourself?

I'm not 100% sure!! theres a lot of pushes and pulls! Yes it would be better for them in terms of space, as they would get a huge 6ft double, yes it would mean I can have more space to work, but then again they might not cope with being outdoors, they may become ill, they might miss the interaction and warmth etc..I really have no idea what to do at the moment! both have there good and bad points!

could you increase their space in your room? like add puppy panels to the crate so they are safe from elsie? i realise it wouldnt solve your own space issue though!

And suddenly I'm reminded why I don't post on here anymore...

I wasn't asking about housing!! I'm well aware of what size they would need,Thanks to those who offered helpful advice, instead of the usual 'my way or no way' advice

I will find my on solution, and I most probably won't post about what/if anything I do! Because as always it will be wrong!

And as for getting a dog, it was recommended to improve my mental health, something she has done! my entire life has changed since owning a dog, something that I will never regret!

..... and yet you are prepared to leave them caged from 10 am until 11 pm?

You came and asked for advice - you can't really blame people for giving their opinions.

Not today... but my mum said she would put a good chunk towards it and by the time they would go out june/july I cud put some towards it to

I just wonder whether you could buy it now (even if mum pays for it and then you pay back?) and then trial them, say out in the day, in at night to see how they cope during the day?

If it doesn't work, you can sell the hutch as barely used, but at least you will know?

I just wonder whether you could buy it now (even if mum pays for it and then you pay back?) and then trial them, say out in the day, in at night to see how they cope during the day?

If it doesn't work, you can sell the hutch as barely used, but at least you will know?

yhh, they used to go out of the trampolene in the summer! and they would lie down and relax on there for 6-8hrs a day!

Putting them outside may well be completely fine. You'll be putting them out at the perfect time of year, so that's great. Many bunnies (as long as they have a partner) adjust really well - my two were indoors before, but they love being outdoors. As long as you cover the hutch and run with tarpaulin (clear is better as it's waterproof, whereas blue leaks) in the winter and provide extra bedding and snugglesafes etc they should be totally fine in winter.

I certainly wouldn't want to give them anything other than a 6 x 2 x 2 with 6 x 4 x 2. If you get something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350758325427?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT it'll give a good space for not much floor room in the garden. Whilst an 8ft run is better, a 6ft run will give them space to exercise. That setup is also not too much more expensive than a hutch by itself, so it's definitely worth getting. I think it would be cruel to put them in a hutch with no run if they're used to getting a lot of exercise (although recently not as much). They would really miss that space, so you'd definitely need a run. If your parents really kick up a fuss about it, you could buy the same setup and keep it indoors - it'd give them the space and they'd be safe from the dog, and your bunnies would have a good amount of space 24/7. It's a shame about the fur interfering with your business, but if your parents won't let you have a suitable sized setup outside you'll need to have it in your bedroom - your bunnies welfare comes above your business, I'm afraid.

Is it an option to bond this pair with your other bunnies? You could pay a rescue nearby to do it. Then you'd want to get an extra run though as I think you've got quite a few bunnies in a relatively small setup (for the amount of bunnies that might be in there), but if you get a 6 x 4 run that's only the room you'd be using for your pair anyway. They'd all keep each other company, and all keep each other warm in winter.

Last edited:
In my experience, rabbits are very adaptable (unless you have a bunny that is very stressy). I moved between home and uni a lot in the last few months, and the bunnies were indoor at uni, outdoor at home. It wasn't ideal, but they were all absolutely fine, no health issues at all. Obviously it would be nice for you to be able to have all your animals indoors, but obviously it isn't working out as you envisioned and as long as you provide large enough outdoor accommodation, I don't see the problem with you moving them outside. It's not like putting a single bun out, they have each other xx

This. :thumb:

Your bunnies are fairly young and, as long as they're in good health, I think they'd be fine outside & there shouldn't be any problems over winter as long as they're put out early enough to moult into nice warm winter coats. They have each other for company and, while you will no doubt miss the interaction with them, they probably won't notice half as much.

What sort of issues are you having with the bunnies and the puppy? I'm just wondering if maybe you can step up the puppy training and resolve the problems that way instead? Puppies are very boisterous, but they're also usually very receptive to training, although it's hard work in the short term.

Albert Evie and Fudge have all gone from being house rabbit to outdoors and in agai at various times over the past few years due to health, space or house moves and have been fine (they survived better than my kitchen table!) As long as your buns are healthy and the outdoor set up is large then the buns will probably be happier outside

This. :thumb:

Your bunnies are fairly young and, as long as they're in good health, I think they'd be fine outside & there shouldn't be any problems over winter as long as they're put out early enough to moult into nice warm winter coats. They have each other for company and, while you will no doubt miss the interaction with them, they probably won't notice half as much.

What sort of issues are you having with the bunnies and the puppy? I'm just wondering if maybe you can step up the puppy training and resolve the problems that way instead? Puppies are very boisterous, but they're also usually very receptive to training, although it's hard work in the short term.

she just wants to chase them, and play with them, she gets frustrated that they don't play back! But she is getting better around them! shes not as jumpy with either them or the cats! so im hoping short bursts of contact she will learn to be calm around them!

If they will have more space and freedom then they should adapt quite well. This is the ideal time of year to put them outside and once there they should grow an adequate winter coat for next year. They have each other for company and to keep each other warm.

she just wants to chase them, and play with them, she gets frustrated that they don't play back! But she is getting better around them! shes not as jumpy with either them or the cats! so im hoping short bursts of contact she will learn to be calm around them!

It definitely sounds like something that you can work on with her then. Maybe having the bunnies outside for a while and training the puppy to be calmer around them in short bursts would be less stressful all round. :D

Back