• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pussy willow?

katie2000

Alpha Buck
:wave: I picked some branches this afternoon for the buns and just wanted to double check that:

1. Pussy willow is definitely safe for buns.

and

2. Whether or not to take the furry bud bits off or just leave them on for nomming.

Thank you :D

I want to know this as well I have one in my garden but keep my buns and piggies well away just in case. :shock:

I *think* all willow is technically safe but some varieties have a high salicylic acid content so will be very bitter. If the buns don't seem keen to nibble, it's probably because it doesn't taste very nice :lol:.

My buns have it :wave: I tend to take off the buds though :oops: but they have eaten them in the past.
They prefer Hawthorne much more. :D

The thin parts of the branch the completely eat, then thicker ones they knaw the bark off :D

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I think I will try them with it tomorrow and see what they think - I will take the buds off too (just to be safe) :)

I also picked some raspberry canes which are just starting to get little leaves on them which they absolutely LOVE :D

we have one

We have a weeping pussy willow in a pot in the rabbit garden, and they love it! Buffy climbs into the pot in order to gnaw the stems off as high as possible. I don't take anything off - they get whatever they can reach. because of that it looks like a bad hair day - all the stems stop at Buffy's maximum reach.

a well timed thread, I was just going to ask the same thing as i saw some pussy willow at the weekend and my brain kicked into ;foraging' mode :lol:

thanks

a well timed thread, I was just going to ask the same thing as i saw some pussy willow at the weekend and my brain kicked into ;foraging' mode :lol:

thanks

:p I can't wait to be able to forage properly again. I have some lovely dandelions that have just come up in the garden which I am going to cultivate for the buns :D

Back