• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem with the Black Widow!

Pippin'sMum

Alpha Buck
Hi guys, I've put stuff on before about my indecision as to what to do with Apple, the widow of Pippin, who we lost a few weeks ago. He was only ill for a few hours, then had to be pts. Apple has been on her own since then, she's been absolutely fine, didn't seem to miss him, carried on as normal. I got another boy from our Rescue, Parsley, he's a black and white Lionhead cross, about a year old and as cute as a button. However, she doesn't like him. I've tried bonding them in a pen outside, but she just lunges at him, and he got aggressive with her eventually. She lives outside in a shed with a large grassed run, and I've got him in the house.
Today I put them both in the bathroom :lol: to try again to bond them. Initially it went quite well, then they had a massive fight, and he pulled a biggish chunk of skin off her dewlap. After a 'time out' he started humping her, making a humming noise, and she just let him do it. I thought things were going the right way, she didn't object, and this went on for about an hour, they would lie apart, then he would hump her again. After this he lay down near her, pressed against her side, but she ignored him, even when he pushed his head under her chin for her to lick him. There has been no grooming from either party so far. She doesn't seem as stressed as she was when they were outside, but she's not interested in him. Where do we go from here? Is it worth carrying on with the bond? I'm happy to keep him as a housebunny, but would prefer to have them together.

if the aggression & lunging has stopped they must be making progress. How long is it since you first put them in the bathroom?

I agree that there has been more positive reactions from her - maybe as she is away fro her normal territory. I would persevere for a bit longer - don't expect any grooming but as long as there is no fighting I think you're making progress. Good luck xx

joey&boo, I just put them together in the bathroom for about one and a half hours, then put them back in their normal pens. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks both for your comments, I feel a bit more optimistic!

joey&boo, I just put them together in the bathroom for about one and a half hours, then put them back in their normal pens. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks both for your comments, I feel a bit more optimistic!

you're welcome. I'd try them for as long as possible in case the time out sets them back. I hope it goes well for you & them tomorrow

Hi guys, I've put stuff on before about my indecision as to what to do with Apple, the widow of Pippin, who we lost a few weeks ago. He was only ill for a few hours, then had to be pts. Apple has been on her own since then, she's been absolutely fine, didn't seem to miss him, carried on as normal. I got another boy from our Rescue, Parsley, he's a black and white Lionhead cross, about a year old and as cute as a button. However, she doesn't like him. I've tried bonding them in a pen outside, but she just lunges at him, and he got aggressive with her eventually. She lives outside in a shed with a large grassed run, and I've got him in the house.
Today I put them both in the bathroom :lol: to try again to bond them. Initially it went quite well, then they had a massive fight, and he pulled a biggish chunk of skin off her dewlap. After a 'time out' he started humping her, making a humming noise, and she just let him do it. I thought things were going the right way, she didn't object, and this went on for about an hour, they would lie apart, then he would hump her again. After this he lay down near her, pressed against her side, but she ignored him, even when he pushed his head under her chin for her to lick him. There has been no grooming from either party so far. She doesn't seem as stressed as she was when they were outside, but she's not interested in him. Where do we go from here? Is it worth carrying on with the bond? I'm happy to keep him as a housebunny, but would prefer to have them together.

Hi there :wave:

What you've described sounds positive. Except for the dewlap bit. Was it actually a chunk of flesh or just fur?

I never separate bunnies when bonding, unless I intend to give up on the bond altogether. You may find you have to begin from scratch each time after you have separated them.

It doesn't matter she's not interested in him. I can see where she's coming from, and I would give it time. But again, have a go when *you* have time to be able to keep them together :)

Good luck!! xx

Back