• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potato Foliage

Dem

Young Bun
Hi Everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice about fresh food for my rabbit. I have a veggie patch just for him but i also have a veggie patch for us, in there is a mass of potatoes with huge amounts of green above ground foliage at the moment that is likely to be cut down and binned in the forthcoming weeks, obviously i'd rather make use of this than throw it out. Can i feed my rabbit these green leaves or is it unsafe for him to eat? I've seen posts on the internet about it not being great for them so thought i would ask you resident experts. :D

Thanks
Dem

Potato foliage isn't suitable for rabbits. Same goes for tomato leaves - same family. Makes good compost, though.

Thanks everyone, i was suspicious after reading elsewhere but thought i'd get expert advice :D

Will stay away from that then and stick to his own veggie patch

Hi Everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice about fresh food for my rabbit. I have a veggie patch just for him but i also have a veggie patch for us, in there is a mass of potatoes with huge amounts of green above ground foliage at the moment that is likely to be cut down and binned in the forthcoming weeks, obviously i'd rather make use of this than throw it out. Can i feed my rabbit these green leaves or is it unsafe for him to eat? I've seen posts on the internet about it not being great for them so thought i would ask you resident experts. :D

Thanks
Dem

No, don't feed to your rabbit, but do put it on the compost heap, if you have one :D

Back