• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spey care. U/D She looks much better today :-)

helen01

Warren Veteran
I've just got the call from the vets and Poppy has come out of her anesthetic I should be able to collect her tonight at 4.30pm :p

I am going to put her in her shed tonight because I think she will feel safer in there (I have five dogs in the house who would be too interested in her and I do not feel that she would rest as well as she would in her own surroundings). Its a really warm day so she should be warm enough tonight.

I am just going to go and clean out her litter tray, can I replace megazorb for fresh megazorb or will this get in her wound? In the past when I have put newspaper in her litter tray she has just pulled it out and ripped it up:oops:

I know to keep her warm and put her hay in a basket so that it doesnt irritate the wound....is there anything else I should be preperred for?

U/D 16.33pm: Just come back from the vets and they have decided to keep her in tonight. She's taking longer to come round from the anesthetic and is still really scared:( They couldnt understand why she wont let them stroke her (event though I have put a note in her bag explaining that she isnt tame and her favourite foods...which are also in her bag:evil:)

Too be honest I am hoping they are not scaring her by bothering her all the time:cry: I have just explained to them again that she came in as as stray and has little human interaction and not to expect that??

Is all this normal??

Last edited:
Make sure you get pain relief to bring home and give for a few days. They will have given pain relief to her today but that won't be enough to see her through her whole recovery. Some rabbits can go with just today's pain relief, but the recovery process is much harder and obviously more painful.

So definitely, definitely get additional pain relief to bring home.

She won't use the litter tray for about 2 days! my Matilda was spayed afew weeks back, and she didn't move for about 3 days! I put newspaper under her fleece and Matilda just went where she was lying!

I put hot water bottles under her fleece, and she layed ontop of them for ages!! x

Make sure you get pain relief to bring home and give for a few days. They will have given pain relief to her today but that won't be enough to see her through her whole recovery. Some rabbits can go with just today's pain relief, but the recovery process is much harder and obviously more painful.

Thanks I will get some from them:wave:

She won't use the litter tray for about 2 days! my Matilda was spayed afew weeks back, and she didn't move for about 3 days! I put newspaper under her fleece and Matilda just went where she was lying!

I put hot water bottles under her fleece, and she layed ontop of them for ages!! x

Will she be okay with megazorb in it or would I be better with a towel/fleece?

i'm so pleased Poppy has come out of the anesthetic well!! from what i've read on here previously i think a towel/fleece would be best, but i'm not an expert :( this is what i'm going to use for Miley though, and i'm going to fill her litter tray with Carefresh, whether she uses it though i'm not sure :?

Just come back from the vets and they have decided to keep her in tonight. She's taking longer to come round from the anesthetic and is still really scared:( They couldnt understand why she wont let them stroke her (event though I have put a note in her bag explaining that she isnt tame and her favourite foods...which are also in her bag:evil:)

Too be honest I am hoping they are not scaring her by bothering her all the time:cry: I have just explained to them again that she came in as as stray and has little human interaction and not to expect that??

Is all this normal??

Thanks for the tip on this. I have ordered a bottle of metacam for her to bring home tomorrow. It will be handy to have a bottle in anyway I think:D

Just come back from the vets and they have decided to keep her in tonight. She's taking longer to come round from the anesthetic and is still really scared:( They couldnt understand why she wont let them stroke her (event though I have put a note in her bag explaining that she isnt tame and her favourite foods...which are also in her bag:evil:)

Is all this normal??

aww poor Poppy! you'd think as you left a note that they would get the idea that she doesn't like being stroked :roll: are they using her favourite foods? we left the food and bits and pieces in the car this morning when taking Miley in and asked if they wanted us to get it and said no they've got lots of stuff there, so this evening when we went to visit i insisted that we took her favourite foods that she's used to.. they had some horrid cheap looking nuggets that don't smell nice at all.. and a pile of hay that didn't look very tempting (we always feed her the Burgess Excel fresh herbage dandilion and marigold which she loves!) .. i don't blame her for not eating! i put a nugget up to her mouth and she had about half, which is a start! :)

aww poor Poppy! you'd think as you left a note that they would get the idea that she doesn't like being stroked :roll: are they using her favourite foods? we left the food and bits and pieces in the car this morning when taking Miley in and asked if they wanted us to get it and said no they've got lots of stuff there, so this evening when we went to visit i insisted that we took her favourite foods that she's used to.. they had some horrid cheap looking nuggets that don't smell nice at all.. and a pile of hay that didn't look very tempting (we always feed her the Burgess Excel fresh herbage dandilion and marigold which she loves!) .. i don't blame her for not eating! i put a nugget up to her mouth and she had about half, which is a start! :)

Too be honest they wouldnt let me see her...which I wasnt very pleased about:shock: They had a bit of a giggle at her cool bag of things...but I dont care they can laugh at me...I took the foods she loves in and if they dont give her them, they will loose my business:evil: Gawd I hope she is okay:shock:

Too be honest they wouldnt let me see her...which I wasnt very pleased about:shock: They had a bit of a giggle at her cool bag of things...but I dont care they can laugh at me...I took the foods she loves in and if they dont give her them, they will loose my business:evil: Gawd I hope she is okay:shock:

i can't believe they wouldn't let you see her!! how mean! :evil::evil: definately think about complaining if they don't try using her favourite foods you brought in! i would be fuming :evil:

i can't believe they wouldn't let you see her!! how mean! :evil::evil: definately think about complaining if they don't try using her favourite foods you brought in! i would be fuming :evil:

I will see what she is like tomorrow, it may be that she was really unwell....I will see what the morning brings. I do use another vets for the dogs, who are fab, so it will be very easy for me to switch to them. The only thing that made me get her done at this one is that its nearer (2 mins up the road and she stresses easily) and it was with the vet that knew her (who did her jabs). I am hoping its the right decision, they were fab years ago when I took in a rescue who had parvo.

Snowy is booked in with them to be done on Wednesday...if I'm not happy I will get him booked in at my other vets.

I will see what she is like tomorrow, it may be that she was really unwell....I will see what the morning brings. I do use another vets for the dogs, who are fab, so it will be very easy for me to switch to them. The only thing that made me get her done at this one is that its nearer (2 mins up the road and she stresses easily) and it was with the vet that knew her (who did her jabs). I am hoping its the right decision, they were fab years ago when I took in a rescue who had parvo.

Snowy is booked in with them to be done on Wednesday...if I'm not happy I will get him booked in at my other vets.

i'm sure she has been well looked after by the vets... it would just really frustrate me if i was to provide them with the foods, request that they use them and get totally ignorred... that is just rude in my opinion so i hope they are using them! :? i'm sure that they are looking after as best that they can though, but if you don't feel 100% comfortable with them then def use another vets for Snowy, that's what i'd do.. we live and learn :)

i'm sure she has been well looked after by the vets... it would just really frustrate me if i was to provide them with the foods, request that they use them and get totally ignorred... that is just rude in my opinion so i hope they are using them! :? i'm sure that they are looking after as best that they can though, but if you don't feel 100% comfortable with them then def use another vets for Snowy, that's what i'd do.. we live and learn :)

I felt that this vets was best for her...its a small vets, they only had her op today. Its literally at the end of the street, slightly more expensive..but I did get a deal on her vaccs so its leveled out in the end. I felt it limited traveling times for her and if ever we had an emergency...I could be there in seconds..

In a way its better that they are keeping her in, rather than me getting her home and being poorly. I am more experienced with dogs and may miss something. I'm sure theyre looking after her, they know what she means to us. I will deffo use the other vets though if theyre not:evil:

I felt that this vets was best for her...its a small vets, they only had her op today. Its literally at the end of the street, slightly more expensive..but I did get a deal on her vaccs so its leveled out in the end. I felt it limited traveling times for her and if ever we had an emergency...I could be there in seconds..

In a way its better that they are keeping her in, rather than me getting her home and being poorly. I am more experienced with dogs and may miss something. I'm sure theyre looking after her, they know what she means to us. I will deffo use the other vets though if theyre not:evil:

i feel the same, i can relax a bit better knowing she is in a place with experts at hand 24/7. she just seemed sooo sleepy.. it was like she hadn't come out of the GA competely, i'm so worried!! :( that's great your vets are just down the road, Mileys not great with car journeys either, the vets we're using are a 5 min drive and she gets very nervous, by the time we get to the vets she's usually shaking :(

think i'm guna get an early night to make 9am come around quicker!! lots of hugs and vibes for Poppy, hope she's fully recovered by the morning :love::love::love:

i feel the same, i can relax a bit better knowing she is in a place with experts at hand 24/7. she just seemed sooo sleepy.. it was like she hadn't come out of the GA competely, i'm so worried!! :( that's great your vets are just down the road, Mileys not great with car journeys either, the vets we're using are a 5 min drive and she gets very nervous, by the time we get to the vets she's usually shaking :(

think i'm guna get an early night to make 9am come around quicker!! lots of hugs and vibes for Poppy, hope she's fully recovered by the morning :love::love::love:

Hope Miley is better tomorrow too:love:

any news? is Poppy home? We've got Miley home.. she's so sleepy and not really eating, done a few poops and drank a bit but not interested in her food at the moment.. although it has just been 2 hours.

I hope Poppy is home and doing ok :love:

any news? is Poppy home? We've got Miley home.. she's so sleepy and not really eating, done a few poops and drank a bit but not interested in her food at the moment.. although it has just been 2 hours.

I hope Poppy is home and doing ok :love:

Thank you:D She is home and was busting for a wee:oops: As soon as I opened her cage she weed in her litter tray (going to run out of paper fast at this rate:p) She then went into her other litter tray and did another huge wee. So at least we know that her bladder is functioning:lol:

She is not herself at all:( They wouldnt give me metacam (even though the other nurse had put it on her records) as she has had a pain relief injection today and wont need anymore???

They have kept both her blankets that I sent in (going to ring them and get them back) She has eaten a bit of parsley and a fenugreek crunchie so at least she's eating. I have put her in her shed with a load of veg and pellets and will go and check on her in a bit and see what she has eaten.

Glad Miley is home, hope she picks up soon....its an awful worry isnt it?

Back