• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Respiratory Infection?

I'm not sure if any of you remember, but my little Mini Rex Bandit, is prone to sneezing. We usually believe it's allergies, he has sneezing fits, but never gets very snotty, his eyes look clear, and he acts like he feels fine. He's sensitive to dust, and things like newspaper, sometimes his hay if I don't shake it out first really well. Sometimes he'll do it certain times of the year, he'll be sneezy for a week or two, then it goes away.

Well lately he's been sneezing again, but his nose is a little more snotty and although his eyes are clear, just isn't acting like himself. He doesn't immediately get up to greet me. He's eating, drinking and pooing well...he just seems a little miserable. He was neutered finally at the beginning of the month. We had to try twice because the first time his lungs filled up with mucous from the gas they gave him. The second time we tried it happened again, half way through, but they were better prepared that time and the neutering went well.

Even though the surgery was that long ago, could it have still triggered an infection? Is this episode of sneezes vet worthy? I can probably get him in right away tomorrow if I call today.

My Bunny is the same with all the sneezing! He has a wet nose too and is not snotty. He does have dental issues though so it could be cause by that. My rabbit has been doing this since the start of spring, his eyes are clear too, and he acts perfectly normal aside of the sneezing. If yor bun is not being his self you might wanna bring him to a vet to be safe. How long has he been sneezing and acting miserable? My bun acts down from time to time too, but if he stops eating, drinking, pooping I rush him to a vet! My best advise though would be to bring you bun to the vet as soon as you can because it could be a infection, or dental related. It is always best to have the vet rule out any medical problems. I hope your bun is okay please keep us informed.

If he's started to get a bit snotty, I would definitely get to the vets tomorrow - if you don't you'll only worry! I have a similar problem at the moment, one of my buns seems to be prone to sneezing fits although is fine in himself. Pickle was treated with antibiotics just a couple of weeks ago as his sneezing had developed into a runny nose. It cleared up but now the sneezing is back again. I'm just monitoring what seems to set him off, in case its allergy related. On my vet's advice I've started to dampen down his hay and I've changed the bedding I use as I was using wood shavings :shock:

I hope you get on ok with Bandit, will be interesting to see if it is related to the problems he had in surgery. :wave:

Yes, please get him to a Vet ASAP as if there is infection present there is a serious risk that pneumonia could develope.
If he were my Bun I'd try to get him seen by a Vet tonight if at all possible.

Well, he's acting a little better right now, but I'm still gonna get him in for it. If he doesn't have any symptoms at the time, can they still tell if he has the infection or not? Would it show up with a test?

I think he's been half avoiding me because when he sneezes I put some smelly decongestant stuff under his nose. He absolutely hates it but it does help for a bit. I go to reach for him and he lays down so I can't pick him up! :lol:

Well, we're back from the vet with 10 days worth of Baytril. I didn't get to see my regular bunny vet, but the one we did see was nice too. She said that his small amount of symptoms could indicate an infection and we should try Baytril and see how that works. He's gonna go back in 10 days for a follow up.

I have the pills to crush up and add to food. I was thinking of mixing it in with pumpkin. Any other foods that work well?

Well, we're back from the vet with 10 days worth of Baytril. I didn't get to see my regular bunny vet, but the one we did see was nice too. She said that his small amount of symptoms could indicate an infection and we should try Baytril and see how that works. He's gonna go back in 10 days for a follow up.

I have the pills to crush up and add to food. I was thinking of mixing it in with pumpkin. Any other foods that work well?

Banana? Although i've only ever been given baytril as a liquid suspension.
I could be wrong, not having dealt personally with RIT's or potential RTI's but I was under the impression from previous posts on here that taking a swab for culture was a good idea before prescribing baytril otherwise any swabs taken whilst on the antibiotic would have their results distorted? I'm a bit naughty and haven't read the beginning of this thread :oops: but as it is about sneezing then I would be thinking about other possible causes too? Did the vet today check his teeth? or talk about E.C as well as the usual 'pasturella' and other 'snuffles' infections? Just a thought - am sure the very experienced will be along soon! :D Hope bunny feels better soon. :)

Well now I'm just completely frustrated. For whatever reason they gave me liver flavored tabs, and Bandit would rather not eat then eat anything with that on it!

Ugh, I feel so disgusted, I won't have the extra money for more medicine until the 10th.

Is there a way to turn this into something that I can use a syringe to give it to him?

A VET gives Liver Flavoured tablets to a Rabbit, CLASSIC....................:roll:

Why on earth did they not give Baytril Oral Liquid.

You could try crushing the tablet and mixing it with a tiny amount of Fresh Pineapple Juice. Hopefully the strong taste of Pineapple will over-ride the vile Liver flavour.

A VET gives Liver Flavoured tablets to a Rabbit, CLASSIC....................:roll:

Why on earth did they not give Baytril Oral Liquid.

You could try crushing the tablet and mixing it with a tiny amount of Fresh Pineapple Juice. Hopefully the strong taste of Pineapple will over-ride the vile Liver flavour.

i agree pineapple juice is MAGIC .... so it fresh crushed grape juice :oops:

liver flavoured pills *pukes* even a human wouldnt touch them YUK

Back