• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible mating!?

Louise3214

New Kit
Hi. My daughter didn’t close our bucks hutch properly, while out doe was having a run around. So they ended up together unattended. We don’t know if they mated but I would assume so given he’s a horny little thing.
She’s only just over 4 months old.
Any advice?
I’ve read that if breeding they should mate more than once (more kits= smaller so easier to give birth) or so I continue to keep them apart and hope they didn’t mate?
Thank you.

I would keep them apart and hope they didn't mate. Count 31 days from now and after 32 days if she hasn't had babies then you will hopefully be in the clear. She is able to get pregnant again straight after she has given birth so please be careful with the Buck.

I would keep them apart and hope they didn't mate. Count 31 days from now and after 32 days if she hasn't had babies then you will hopefully be in the clear. She is able to get pregnant again straight after she has given birth so please be careful with the Buck.

This.

And neuter the buck now. He will still be fertile for a few weeks afterwards, though, so you still need to be careful. Hopefully she isn't pregnant and you can get her neutered at 6 months. 4 months is very young to be pregnant, but not impossible, and it certainly would not be the best thing for her as she is still growing.

Keep them apart. More kits,if any,would put more strain on your young doe and also be more stressful for a first time mom. Be sure to read the sticky notes on this forum to prepare for the births

Last edited:
Some Vets will spay a Doe at 4 months as long as she weighs over 1kg. It would need to be done within 10 days of the possible mating. Less of a risk than a pregnancy at 4 months. Rabbits can have 6-10 kits per litter. Are you able to cope with an extra 6-10 Rabbits who will all need vaccinating and neutering....

I checked her over and there were no signs of penetration, or of any liquids, swelling or redness around the vulva so I’m pretty sure they didn’t do the deed 🤞🏼

I checked her over and there were no signs of penetration, or of any liquids, swelling or redness around the vulva so I’m pretty sure they didn’t do the deed 🤞🏼

Uhmm..., No. You can't really tell that way. If they are in the mood, not unlikely this time of year, and don't hate each other there is a good chance they mated. The fastest I've seen firsthand was getting the deed done within 30 seconds of the buck escaping.

You could be lucky that she is too young and didn't warm up to the buck, if the buck is young and doesn't have experience it can take a long time too, sometimes weeks.

But there's no point in jumping to conclusions now, it is possible, and better act on the assumption that she is pregnant. It's not much to do to set things up. Better being prepared than sorry.

Ive booked in the buck to be neutered ����
That is a good first step.
It will take many weeks after his neuter for his sperm to clear out of his system following surgery.

You should consider having your doe spayed for health and behavior reasons even with a neutered buck.

Back