• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pop tart hamster

bunlover

Warren Veteran
heelo thankyou firstly to all who sent her good luck vibes over the term of her illness she obviously recieved them as defied vets and lived 7months after being given days to a week to live,
petsgalore025-1.jpg

poptart was a hamster who was used for 6 months as a breeding machine in a local pet shop, when they no longer wanted her she was left in a tiny glass tnk with a food bowl and a water bowl on some wood chiips she had no toys or sleeping bedding no house or wheel and looked fed up and sad, they advertised her at £2 as wanted rid of her, i offered £1 to take ehr there and then and they agreed so my pound hamster came home, she loved climbing
petsgalore023.jpg

i put her into a large cage i already had with a wheel and a house, she didnt know what to do with her wheel and it took ages for her to learn it was a fun toy, when she did she still couldnt run wiht her head inside and looked out the side very cute and funny to watch, shortly after we got frank (rip) frank was also an ex breeding hamster and i set up their cages near to each other i soon found them sniffing and licking each other through the bars but obviously bieng a) syrinas who fight to death and b) different sex i never put them together, as time went on and both reached 2years i felt sorry for them and let them have time out together on my lap where they sat snuggled and licked contrary to the normal syrian alone rule they enjoyed each others company and didnt hump each other but cuddled and licked and rubbed noses,
petsgalore017.jpg

i never caged them together and their visits were simply supervised just in case and i would never normal advise two syrinas being allowed together but they were a pair!
SS100187.jpg

she hated travelling in the car unless franks carrier was next ot hers she escaped one day and got under the gear stick and it took us hours befor we could leave tesco car park and she came out,

age 2years she passed blood from hergirlie bits and i took her to the vets she had pyometra and was full of puss, they gave her days to qa week to live and i decided to keep her on antibiotics and see how she went, she then ran out of antibiotics a week later and i took her back for more it seemed the pyometra was open and so draining itself but she still needed long term antibiotics to survive we considered emergancy spay but due to her age decided against it, she carried on being such a good hasmter to take her meds daily for 7months longer each time i went back for repeat prescriptions teh vets were amazed, sadly her age must have caught up with her and she died last night age 2years 7 months
we will miss you pop tart you were our special girl but now at least you and frankie can be together again at the bridge. scurry free xx

so glad she got such a happy and brilliant home for her remaining days - amazing age for a hammy! sleep tight little girl xxx

I'm sorry to hear about Poptart:cry: but I know she had a fab life with you-a real life of luxury and was such a contented good-natured hamster too:). So good to take her meds. She loved to play in the boxes and toys here when you brought her & Frank to stay.She really defied the odds to have extra happy:) months near Frank.
I know the decision not to operate was made with expert consulation with 3 hamster savvy vets in 2 practices and it seems it was the right decision as she enjoyed an extra 7 months -a huge extra time for a hamster. She was not in pain-and I know you had pain relief available, and she was able,with your care, to live her life to a normal old age despite her medical problem(open pyometra).
scurry free at the Bridge with Frank, Poptart.-love mum x

ps-I love all the photos , but the first one with her happy smile is how I remember her.

Hello Kate,

How wonderful Poptart had such a loving home with you. Hamsters are lovely little creatures and I am so glad she was chosen by you.

I am sure she is so happy at Rainbow Bridge, and will be one of your guardian angels.

Alice x

Arr that put a tear in my eye what a horrible start she had poor thing, so glad you found her and gave her a loving home.:cry:

Back