• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poll:How many rabbits have you had with stasis?

How many rabbits have you had with stasis and what diet is fed, multiple occasions?

• Total voters
All four of mine have had it :(

Sometimes it has been caused by them being scared when put in a new environment. They must have stopped eating whilst scared and then that caused their upset tummy which stopped them from eating again.

I'm not sure what caused it recently though. I'm trying to cut down on their non hay foods, but don't want to cut everything out :?

sorry this is going to be a long answer lol

Alvin is a stasis bunny, the vets describe him as prone. one vet even compared it to the human equivalent of IBS some bunnies are just born with more delicate stomachs he said.

Alvin in his 3 years has had 4 cases of real stasis where its taken days/weeks to recover with one time being put onto a drip. non have ever lead to bloat

he has also had atleast 5 mini episodes where recovery is the same day, sometimes with the aide of metacam and sometimes not.

my Alvin theory.. he has been blood tested for EC, his teeth and major organs are fine. but one abnormality from his blood test was his stress hormone levels were far too high for a rabbit (he may need treatment for this in the future).

so Stressy bun being given too much treats, pellets, possibly treated human veg was a disater waiting to happen.

After the last really awful two week episode i overhauled his diet completely.
Pellets are kept in a different part of the house so im not tempted to give a small handful to check hes still eating, they are stictly rationed to a shared measure of 10ml twice a day and also the higher fibre pellets Allen and Page are used.
bunny treats have been thrown away apart from the fenugreek crunchies which is given once per day after i get home from work to check eating.
Veg has also been overhauled, i no longer give ANY fruit or carrots and for the summer Alvin is getting rose leaves, bramble leaves, hawthorn leaves, dandelion, basil, kale and romaine lettuce daily.
his drinking has increased loads and even during this awful moult his tummy is ticking along nicely.

3 months, 3 weeks and 4 days since Alvins last stasis episode :D

Back