• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pododermatitis - Update re Abscess under Chin U/Date

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
My friend's Rabbit has what looks like the above. I found a similar photo on line. Her Bunnies are on carpet and are 9 now, What should she do? The same Rabbit has also a small lump under her chin.

Last edited:
I would get it checked out at a vet. Small lump under the chin could be an abscess and needs looking at (usually surgical removal of the capsule and penicillin injections for several months). She would also be advised on the sore hocks.

There is lots of info on sore hocks on some of Jane's old posts. First thing woud be to stop it getting worse by covering the carpet in something to stop it rubbing. Then look at other factors - nail length, arthritis affecting posture, etc. and treat the wounds if they need it. Small patches may heal if factors causing them are sorted, but it can soon escalate into serious (eg bone infection) issues if left.

Sore hocks are often a secondary symptom relating to the Rabbit’s mobility and/or the substrate the Rabbit is kept on. Carpet is very abrasive and can cause problems. A 9 year old Rabbit could well have some age related arthritis. Sore hocks often occur if a Rabbit is arthritic.

The lump under the jaw could be a tooth root abscess.

Prompt Veterinary attention is needed for both conditions. For the sore hocks the Vet needs to try to identify a primary cause and treat that. So if it’s arthritis giving a daily NSAID eg Metacam. The severity of the hocks needs to be graded, treatment will depend on severity. A NSAID is essential, sore hocks are painful. Topical treatments might be needed and if the skin is ulcerated and broken antibiotics too.

For the jaw lump - full dental examination, including skull radiographs. If it is a tooth root abscess the bone could be infected too (osteomyelitis).. Treatment of the lump will depend on what it actually is. If it’s an abscess surgery to try to remove the entire abscess capsule, possible tooth extraction. Post surgical treatment must include pain relief, an antibiotic based on the results of a swab taken from the abscess wall to identify the exact bacteria involved and what antibiotics the infection is sensitive to. The surgical wound might be left open and require flushing out twice daily and packing with medical grade manuka honey.

I would advise the person to get her Rabbit seen by a Vet ASAP.

It all sounds a bit scary if you've not had this before, but it is manageable. She does need to see a vet, though, even if only to confirm what the issues are and go for some more conservative options if eg surgery isn't an option for any reason. She needs to ask lots of questions and consider the options and what she can deal with. It's the sort of thing that's not immediately life threatening, but will get worse over time.

I will let her know these points. It isn't a sore hock though, it's underneath her paws. Many thanks xx

Also, on the same subject, my Oscar has had a sore hock but it has now scabbed over. Is this normal?

Also, on the same subject, my Oscar has had a sore hock but it has now scabbed over. Is this normal?

Impossible to say without seeing it. A callous can occur which whilst not ‘normal’ is common when a Rabbit has thin fur over their hocks and/or has had a sore hock. But an actual scab could be masking an underlying abscess, which was the case for one of my Rabbits recently. If it’s a scab over infected tissue it will get worse. So you need to be certain of exactly what is going on. I would suggest a Vet check if you are unsure :) Always best to err on the side of caution.

My friend's Rabbit is booked in tomorrow for further investigation. I saw the lump earlier and it is quite big :cry: Her foot isn't really bad, just a 2" thin red line. I hope she will be ok.

My friend's Rabbit had the abscess drained yesterday but they couldn't remove the whole capsule as they thought Bunny wasn't strong enough to have a GA. They have to flush it out regularly and go back on Monday. Fingers crossed!

My friend's Rabbit had the abscess drained yesterday but they couldn't remove the whole capsule as they thought Bunny wasn't strong enough to have a GA. They have to flush it out regularly and go back on Monday. Fingers crossed!

Is the Rabbit on systemic antibiotics and analgesia ? Usually a injectable abx such as Depocillin. This is essential. Also, did the Vet advise packing the wound with medical grade Manuka Honey after flushing it out ? IME this can be very beneficial

I use this

https://uk.advancismedical.com/products/activon-tube

Is the Rabbit on systemic antibiotics and analgesia ? Usually a injectable abx such as Depocillin. This is essential. Also, did the Vet advise packing the wound with medical grade Manuka Honey after flushing it out ? IME this can be very beneficial

I use this

https://uk.advancismedical.com/products/activon-tube

Yes, she came home with Baytril, Loxicam, something to flush it out with and gut stimulant. I mentioned Manuka but I don't think they will be ordering any of that.

Yes, she came home with Baytril, Loxicam, something to flush it out with and gut stimulant. I mentioned Manuka but I don't think they will be ordering any of that.

A more heavy duty abx is probably going to be needed. That has always been my experience anyway.

A more heavy duty abx is probably going to be needed. That has always been my experience anyway.

I know but she always goes with what the Vet advises. I think they've done very well with these 2 Rabbits which will be 10 in July. I rescued them from an awful place and my friend and her OH had just lost their last Bunny and were thinking of getting 2 more. They came down to see them and decided they would like them. The boy is fine, never been ill, but the girl has had a runny eye now and then.

I would be requesting Depocillin. Baytril doesn't get into the capsule so isn't effective for abscesses. Baytril is often given by vets as it is on the prescribed cascade for rabbits, but rabbit savvy vets ought to prescribe something more effective for the condition. Depocillin is still available (some of the options are no longer available) and has to be injected, but the owner can be shown how to do this so they can continue treatment at home. Needles & syringes and disposal bins are readily available online, cheaper than a vet would normally charge.

Back