• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

plz help

emz

New Kit
i have about a 16month male rabbit but he scratches away at the sofa so got a fleace for him but he does the same and bites it why lol ?
also hes niped me a few times but my partner he does it to all the time why would he do this ? i have a 2yr old that wants to stroke him but cant let him incase he tries to nip him plz help :)

Is he neutered? If he's not, this is the single most effective way of reducing this behaviour, which sounds to me like classic, frustrated, hormonal bunny behaviour!
Does he actually aggressively bite you or is it just nips? Nips can just be a way of the bunny communicating with you (more specifically bossing you around!) My bunny Tilly who is sadly now waiting for me at the bridge, used to nip us before she was spayed as a demand for a stroke or just to move us out of the way! Once spayed she completely stopped it and other destructive behaviours like digging and chewing our clothes. If hes nipping you when you pick him up its just his way of saying I want to be put down! I only pick my buns up when absolutely necessary, they come to me when they want some love.
So my advice is if u havent already, get him neutered. It will make for a much happier, even tempered bunny.
If he is neutered, he's obviously just a very feisty dominant boy (endearing but can be a pain!) The best thing to do is try not to react when he nips you as this is giving him the reaction he wants (hard when you've been bunny nipped I know!) and hope he eventually gives up on it. He might just be a digger aswell, as many are as this is a natural thing for them to do. Provide some safe things for him to dig at, like a box of shredded newspaper or soil. You dont want him chewing fabric too much as the fibres may upset his delicate digestive system.
I hope this helps you out abit.
Good luck!
Gemma, Timmy, Mimi and my angel Tilly :wave:

hi no he hasnt been snipped yet but think im goin to have to def look into it.
i just dont know why it more my partner than me ?
the main nipp that hurt me was wen i was getting him of cage but when he goes for my partner its when he sits next to him on the sofa thanks for your help :)

Is he neutered? If he's not, this is the single most effective way of reducing this behaviour, which sounds to me like classic, frustrated, hormonal bunny behaviour!
Does he actually aggressively bite you or is it just nips? Nips can just be a way of the bunny communicating with you (more specifically bossing you around!) My bunny Tilly who is sadly now waiting for me at the bridge, used to nip us before she was spayed as a demand for a stroke or just to move us out of the way! Once spayed she completely stopped it and other destructive behaviours like digging and chewing our clothes. If hes nipping you when you pick him up its just his way of saying I want to be put down! I only pick my buns up when absolutely necessary, they come to me when they want some love.
So my advice is if u havent already, get him neutered. It will make for a much happier, even tempered bunny.
If he is neutered, he's obviously just a very feisty dominant boy (endearing but can be a pain!) The best thing to do is try not to react when he nips you as this is giving him the reaction he wants (hard when you've been bunny nipped I know!) and hope he eventually gives up on it. He might just be a digger aswell, as many are as this is a natural thing for them to do. Provide some safe things for him to dig at, like a box of shredded newspaper or soil. You dont want him chewing fabric too much as the fibres may upset his delicate digestive system.
I hope this helps you out abit.
Good luck!
Gemma, Timmy, Mimi and my angel Tilly :wave:

:thumb: I agree with this, it is actually natural bunny behaviour your describing but, the bunny needs to associate what it's doing with hurting. In a group they will do this and dig as part of their normal interaction with the surroundings and other rabbits. You do need to make quite a high pitched squeal and turn your back on the rabbit to show that you don't like it or make a kind of ghasp and say 'no' firmly but not shouting, no physical reprimand is necessary however:no: as this will just re-inforce fear in the rabbit and possibly make the biting worse or the rabbit more fearful.

A lot of the time it is for attention aswell so you need to ensure that your rabbit has all it's needs met, lots of hay and toys like a treat ball or toilet roll holder stuffed with hay when it's free range are essential as is the suitable sized accomodation, what size is your bun and the cage he has? I would agree that neutering will help, as will taking time to sit on the floor and let your bunny come to you, encourage this with hand feeding the greens, I would only ever allow a child that age to gently stroke the bun when you are there and when you give permission. I know it's difficult to explain to a two year old but, he needs to learn that he has to be careful and cautious and gentle when putting his hands near the bun.

I would also think about getting another one (female) and suitable outdoor accomodation like a shed if at all possible for them as it sounds like it would be of benefit to this one to have interaction with another ladybun. Just things for you to think about but, don't be alarmed and don't think that it is aggression and become fearful as it will create a circle of fear between you and your bunny which actually doesn't need to be there.

You can always lower your head to your knees when you are on the floor aswell as a show of being non-threatening and as you would with a horse hold your hand flat for the bun to smell you before you stroke the bridge of his nose and head. Best of luck, hope you enjoy the forum, have you got any pics of him and his 'set-up'?:wave:

He's probably biting your partner more because he is picking up that he's male and sees him as the competition. My rabbits definatly pick up on the fact that my partner is male, they behave abit better with him around,cheeky *******!
So definatly get him neutered as this will calm him down ALOT and will make for a much calmer bun. And I agree that getting him a spayed female friend will settle him down aswell, although be prepared for the long bonding process and do lots of research into it.
Take care

Charlie does this to me aswell just little nips and he also likes to try and dig me :roll: lol

He does it when im on the floor and he binkies around as well so i think that it maybe some strange rabbit sign of affection because he likes to sit next to me aswell and climb on me.

He is booked in 2 get neutered on 15th March though so it might stop after that but he never does it sore anyway just tiny little nips :D

My rabbits are both neutered and love to chew stuff, dig at fabric etc. It's fun for them - welcome to the world of rabbits! :D

Yep, both of mine are neutered and Mimi still loves to get into my draws and rearrange my clothes! I allow it because its just rabbit behaviour and if shes having fun digging away I'm happy with it. Its part of the sacrifices of having a bun! Neutering definatly reduces these tendencies though

Back