• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help!!!

Hello Everyone! I'm a f,irst time rabbit mommy, and I love love love my baby so very much, but last few days he's not been himself. It started about a week ago when he wouldn't let me pet one side of his face. He fliched and moved away from me every time I touched the right side of his little face. Then that seemed to go away, but then he started to have pee accidents all over his belly, and now his belly and tail fur is all dry crunchy and like an off yellow color. Also the fur on his chin is hard and dirty too and he hasn't cleaned himself. He's very lethargic too. Please help me figure out what's going on with my baby, I've been crying for days bc I feel so bad for him and I don't know how to help him. Please help us.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry your bunny is so poorly. The only thing we can really advise you to do is to get him seen by a vet as soon as possible. Preferably today if you can as rabbits are very fragile creatures and can go downhill very quickly.

I suspect he is having dental issues. The fact his chin is dirty suggests he has been drooling, which is a common symptom of teeth issues. Does he eat plenty of hay and/or grass? How has his appetite been for the past few days? If he is eating and pooping less than normal then it is a sign that his gut is slowing down and he is going into stasis. I know you're very worried about your bunny and I'm sorry to cause you more alarm but gut stasis in rabbits is fatal if left untreated. This is why it's so important you get your bunny seen by a vet sooner rather than later.

Please contact your Vet straight away as we cannot diagnose what is wrong with him or give him any treatment he might need. The sooner he is seen by a Vet the better the prognosis.

I'm really sorry your bunny is unwell. :( I agree with Scrappy's Little Helper and IM. Please get your bunny seen by a vet as soon as possible today. Bunnies are very good at hiding signs of illness, so by the time they start showing that they're ill, it's really quite serious and needs immediate vet care. Sending your bunny lots of vibes.

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. You know he has a pretty good appetite. He's been pooping pretty normally with the exception of a couple of times where it was ended up in his fur and I had to spend quite a bit of time getting it out and cleaning him...but as for his food and water, thank God he's doing pretty well. Also he loves to give kisses normally and grooming my son's hair, but again last couple days his kisses have become very rare and instead he's just nudging softly with his little nose. Are there any programs that you know of that assist with medical bills for rescued bunnies? Im definitely going to take him to get checked out either way, but I'm a single mom and it'd be really helpful to not have to pay full price out of pocket. Thank you again so much for your reply and your help.����

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. You know he has a pretty good appetite. He's been pooping pretty normally with the exception of a couple of times where it was ended up in his fur and I had to spend quite a bit of time getting it out and cleaning him...but as for his food and water, thank God he's doing pretty well. Also he loves to give kisses normally and grooming my son's hair, but again last couple days his kisses have become very rare and instead he's just nudging softly with his little nose. Are there any programs that you know of that assist with medical bills for rescued bunnies? Im definitely going to take him to get checked out either way, but I'm a single mom and it'd be really helpful to not have to pay full price out of pocket. Thank you again so much for your reply and your help.����

Are you in the U.K. ?

I definitely am going to take him to the vet to get him some help. Thank you so much for your help and your kind words ����

I am in US too and find the members on this forum are well educated on bunny care. I agree he needs to see a vet. You say he was a rescue so perhaps ask organization you got him from for name of vet for your rabbit.

Last edited:
Back