• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me decide what to do/UD back home

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hi,Ive got a huge problem with my bunny Harry and I just don't know what to do.Its eating me up with the worry:cry:

Last year he had an ear infection which cleared up after afew months and daily injections.The injections went well and he recovered quickly once id found my new rabbit savvy vet.He had a reacurrence in December which I was told might happen as hes a lop and ear infections are notoriously difficult to treat in those loppy ears.:roll:

Anyway we began the injections again and he coped very well but the infection was much slower to clear this time and the daily injections went on abit longer.One day about 2 months into treatment an injection went wrong.According to my vet I must have pushed a tiny hair into the skin with the needle and it set off an allergic reaction.The skin became red and sore and he kept biting at it.The vet gave me cream and we carried on with the injections while the sore healed until it happened a second time afew weeks later:shock::oops::(:roll:

This time the reaction was twice as bad:(Out came the cream again and we stopped the injections.He bites and scratches it all the time now and just wont leave it alone but unfortunately its set off a second problem.He associates me with the painful sore on his back.(quite rightly)He is terrified of me.When he sees me he goes mental biting his sore then manic compulsive behaviours biting at his leg,he wees on the spot and lunges and growls at me.The compulsive biting-hurting himself at the same time is the most worrying as its like a displacement behaviour gone mad and is quite scary.This pattern has been going on now for 2 months as is just getting worse.Anyone else he sees he isn't anywhere near as bad.

We were once such good buddies and this is upsetting me so much.I look at his back and see his behaviour and just think that ive done this to him-hes right.I can exept the fact that he doesn't want to be friends anymore but the fact that he is reacting so badly to me even being anywhere in his view is awful.Im holding him back from recovery no matter what I treat his sore with he bites into it and his leg/other parts of his body.

Sorry for the long post but what on earth do I do for the best?:(

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this has happened. It must be devastating to lose that bond when you are only trying to help him. So sad that animals don't understand that.

I think I would consider having a chat with my vet to see if they could hospitalise him for a set period in order to continue (and hopefully finish) his treatment. That would be expensive BUT should break that expectation from him that whenever you go near him, it hurts. Then once he's all better, you could start to re-establish that bond.

Failing staying at the vets, could you board him at somewhere like The Excellent Adventure Sanctuary, who normally take in sick piggies for intensive treatment, but may be able to offer some support for a sick bunny too. It's worth asking Debbie who runs it. She takes in piggies temporarily (and permanently) where a piggie needs intensive treatment and an owner is unable to provide it due to, for instance, working full time. TEAS are based in Northampton so are not a million miles away and Debbie's lovely AND uses a brilliant bunny vet - Simon Maddock at The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic.

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for your reply Mackers.I have spoken to Debbie and she will look after him for a couple of weeks for me so his back can recover.What a lovely helpful lady she is and I feel so much better.:D:thumb:Athough I live in O xfordshire we also travel to see Simon at the C and R Clinic so vetwise we are in very good hands.

Thankyou again.x

Thankyou so much for your reply Mackers.I have spoken to Debbie and she will look after him for a couple of weeks for me so his back can recover.What a lovely helpful lady she is and I feel so much better.:D:thumb:Athough I live in O xfordshire we also travel to see Simon at the C and R Clinic so vetwise we are in very good hands.

Thankyou again.x

I'm so glad Debbie could help :D. She really is lovely and knows her onions. Your bunny will be in very safe hands. I often bump into her when I take my lot to see Simon and Kim :lol:.

Last edited:
Just a little update to say that Harry is now back from Debbies and his back is so much better.Simon at the Cand R Clinic operated on it and removed the thickened skin.Its healing well and looking so much better and hes not biting at it at all.So pleased and Debbie really looked after him(and his wifeybun) very well.His behaviour is alittle better-no more displacement behaviour but hes still clearly very angry with me and I don't think we can retrieve our bond.He was fine for 48 hours after his return and then I think he started to remember all the months of medicating and vet trips etc.and lost it with me again.As long as I don't look at him or go near him hes ok.Luckily hes still friends with my OH so all is not lost.The main thing is his backs much improved though and that's what our main aim was.
Im very grateful to Debbie for all her patience and hard work.She really is an amazing lady.

Last edited:
I'm glad Harry is much better, hope he forgives you. Do you still have to give him medication? If not maybe once he's just having food and treats from you he might come round a little :thumb:

Glad to hear Harry is home and feeling better :).

If you don't need to give him medicine now, perhaps he will come round in time when he learns to associate you with treats and food again.

Thanks guys.The behaviour is how I would imagine a badly treated rabbit would be.Its very worrying and has been getting worse over many months despite it being ages since ive done any medicating.Debbie has done all his recent medication.He is having a checkup tomorrow at the vets just to double check hes not in any pain elsewhere.Such a shame,he was such a happy friendly chap before.

We are back to the displacement behaviour and Harry opened up his back wound today.His ears are also hurting him a lot.Hes been ill most of the year.Hes back to the vet in the morning

Im mentally drained.Ive recently lost 3 bunnies(one today)Sorry to be so "wimmy" but im not coping.Not at all.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses :cry:. That in itself would be hard to cope with, without having another ill bun to cope with.

Are you still doing injections? If not, I wonder if he is attacking his back because his ears are hurting so much. Is he on pain relief for them?

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses :cry:. That in itself would be hard to cope with, without having another ill bun to cope with.

Are you still doing injections? If not, I wonder if he is attacking his back because his ears are hurting so much. Is he on pain relief for them?

No,unfortunately we cant do injections any more as the sore on his back is due to a injection site reaction which has been quite bad.Hes on twice daily Metacam for pain.The displacement behaviour is so worrying as it starts as soon as he sees me.
Today at the vets he was given Tramadol to calm him and try to break the cycle and Marbocyl for his ears but they aren't actually too bad at the moment.This is our last attempt to get him better as he wouldn't cope with the surgery to remove the linings of his ears as recovery from the operation requires lots of medicating over a long period.He also had results of a second culture and his infection is now resistant to penicillin.:roll:
Im having to prepare myself for possible PTS as hes very down,hiding all the time in a little shelter in his enclosure and obviously feeling poorly and uncomfortable.Hes been ill for most of the year and its not fair on him.Its hard to know what to do for the best.

No,unfortunately we cant do injections any more as the sore on his back is due to a injection site reaction which has been quite bad.Hes on twice daily Metacam for pain.The displacement behaviour is so worrying as it starts as soon as he sees me.
Today at the vets he was given Tramadol to calm him and try to break the cycle and Marbocyl for his ears but they aren't actually too bad at the moment.This is our last attempt to get him better as he wouldn't cope with the surgery to remove the linings of his ears as recovery from the operation requires lots of medicating over a long period.He also had results of a second culture and his infection is now resistant to penicillin.:roll:
Im having to prepare myself for possible PTS as hes very down,hiding all the time in a little shelter in his enclosure and obviously feeling poorly and uncomfortable.Hes been ill for most of the year and its not fair on him.Its hard to know what to do for the best.

I'm sorry things are so bad :(. Do you give him the metacam by mouth, or do you put it on his food? Maybe not handling him would help? Although it sounds like you have thought of everything.

Sending vibes for Harry and hugs for you x

Thankyou weedug x
He will sometimes take Metacam straight from a syringe without me having to pick him up or hold him in any way.This depends on his mood.Hes now on 4 meds though.
Im having a rethink about the operation involving taking out the linings from inside his ears to remove the surface the infection lives on and therefore potentially physically remove the infection.Im in two minds now ive had time to think abit more about it.I may consider it.There is a chance it could work although its pretty drastic but it would be lovely if he could feel well and happy again.It would be quite a journey.Do I risk it?:?

Last edited:
I thought I would update as Harry is staying with me again at the moment.

He is doing ok, and leaving his back alone most of the time. He's enjoying his food, and if I see him about to go for his back, I grab a handful of grass and give him that, and it distracts him very well.

He is getting on well with his little wife again and most of the time he seems fairly content. He wasn't too happy about having his meds this evening but I prepare all the syringes first and then kneel on the floor with him backed up between my legs and then give the syringes one at a time and it is all over very quickly.

He's a lovely bunny and I really hope he can get back to good health quickly.

Hello Debbie:wave:Your help is invaluable-thankyou.:)I think as im so emotionally involved as we all are with our buns its hard to separate that from everything else especially the medical interaction.Hes obviously picking up on my tension although I try to hide it-bunnies always know.;)Its great hes doing better and I will use the same method you do for medicating.Its good for him to have a break from the norm and have different distractions.

Back