• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help! Julie is in GI Stasis.Update:Julie is back in stasis

You sure are having a very rough time. I hope that you and Sandie feel better very soon. Julie's vet did say that the gut stimulant injection does work better than the oral. She has 2 injections and is taking the oral and will continue taking it 36 hours after she is 100%. Her vet thinks that will prevent this from happening again like last time. She was only better for a day.

I hope Julie and also Sandie are better very soon.

My Daisy went into stasis and was very poorly for a week. When she was better we had to continue with zantac and metacam for 4 more days just to make sure she didn't slip back again. Someone else said too that after an episode of stasis bunnies should be kept on medication for several days after they are completely better.

It is a fantastic morning. She came out of the laundry room last night a little after 10 and just started acting more and more like her normal self. She had bad bad mushy poos everywhere she went but she circled round and round my feet and did the buzzing around 1:30 am. She wanted lots of attention and it was hard to leave because she chased me to the gate and sat there when I left. Finally a bit after 2 am I turned off the night light that I had been using since she was sick. That seem to make her realize that I was going to bed. She rolled her ball and played with a bell chew toy. I finally fell asleep listening to her play and slept until 7 am. She was nibbling hay so I stayed on the couch until OH got up and we gave her the gut med. She is very active this morning. She is eating some but still not much of greens unless I hand feed. She has used the litter box to pee and the some teeny poos. She is running around acting like she is really really hungry and wants something but isn't happy with what we give. OH thinks she wants pellets as she runs and sits where they are kept. Her vet said not to give her any until she is better for a week as they are harder to digest. She also keeps running to the frig. She seems to want something that I am not giving her. I am going to cut up an apple.

Is this normal behavior?

I gave her 3 little pieces of apple which she gobbled but keeps looking in her bowl. She will take one tiny bite of greens then runs to the frig, pellet storage area or to me and stands on two feet to beg. I keep petting her which she loves but she still acts like she wants something to eat and I am not sure what. She has also started chewing her toys. She seems like she is eating them so I keep removing them as she starts to eats them. I filled her hay box with fresh hay and sprinkled rosemary leaves in it because she is crazy about that. She is finally nibbling hay and I hope will settle a little after that. I am staying out of the kitchen hoping that she will continue to eat the hay. She gets all beggy and excited when she sees me.
Is this normal behavior for a bunny coming out of stasis???????????

only teeny tiny poos. Why? Any ideas????

Julie is active and acting like she is starving. She wants more food. I am putting rosemary in her hay still trying her to eat more of that to fill up. I am worried though because she didn't have any poos except a very few small like mouse poos. .....not even hardly either. She is peeing a lot. I am going to give hour a couple hours as she ate a lot and I am not seeing the poopy smears anymore. If she doesn't poo then I will call her vet. I think she is there in the am. Any ideas????? Why is she eating,drinking an acting normal but not pooing much??????

The OH says that I scared the poop out of Julie. I got out the towel and said I am taking you to the doctor. She ran to her litter box. After and few minutes she left and the OH raised the cover and says you are going to be sooooo happy. Yes there were a lot. .....well formed..........on the small size but not mouse tiny anymore. Yippee!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Yay Julie! :D
Keep those poos coming!
Sounds like she has well & truly turned the corner this time - great news.

Yay Julie! :D
Keep those poos coming!
Sounds like she has well & truly turned the corner this time - great news.

Yeah .... I really hope that she stays well. She is very active and pooping good. She is still on the gut stimulant. The vet thinks that she will not have a relapse again if we keep her on it for 36 hours now that she is better.

I hope Julie and also Sandie are better very soon.

My Daisy went into stasis and was very poorly for a week. When she was better we had to continue with zantac and metacam for 4 more days just to make sure she didn't slip back again. Someone else said too that after an episode of stasis bunnies should be kept on medication for several days after they are completely better.

When Smudge went into stasis the first time thankfully it was when Mark was working and he said to continue with zantac and metacam for a few days after. The second time we saw an emergency vet and you could tell Smudge was threatening to go back into stasis a few days after as he wasn't getting the metacam.

I gave her 3 little pieces of apple which she gobbled but keeps looking in her bowl. She will take one tiny bite of greens then runs to the frig, pellet storage area or to me and stands on two feet to beg. I keep petting her which she loves but she still acts like she wants something to eat and I am not sure what. She has also started chewing her toys. She seems like she is eating them so I keep removing them as she starts to eats them. I filled her hay box with fresh hay and sprinkled rosemary leaves in it because she is crazy about that. She is finally nibbling hay and I hope will settle a little after that. I am staying out of the kitchen hoping that she will continue to eat the hay. She gets all beggy and excited when she sees me.
Is this normal behavior for a bunny coming out of stasis???????????

Smudge does this. He'll hold out for the treats instead of eating hay so after he's eaten a bit I'll have to take the treats away to get him eating hay again. He'll also go eat hay when I'm not around cos he knows if I know he's eating hay he won't get the treats. He's too smart for his own good!

When Smudge went into stasis the first time thankfully it was when Mark was working and he said to continue with zantac and metacam for a few days after. The second time we saw an emergency vet and you could tell Smudge was threatening to go back into stasis a few days after as he wasn't getting the metacam.

Smudge does this. He'll hold out for the treats instead of eating hay so after he's eaten a bit I'll have to take the treats away to get him eating hay again. He'll also go eat hay when I'm not around cos he knows if I know he's eating hay he won't get the treats. He's too smart for his own good!

:lol::lol: Julie has stopped nibbling hay when she sees me too and has come to expect to be offered special treats every 2 hours as that was what I was doing when she was poorly. Smudge and Julie must be related.:lol:

:lol::lol: Julie has stopped nibbling hay when she sees me too and has come to expect to be offered special treats every 2 hours as that was what I was doing when she was poorly. Smudge and Julie must be related.:lol:

They are just too damn smart aren't they!!

Hi, I haven't been on here for a few days (loads going on with hospital appointments and the like plus still hobbling around with a bad back from falling down stairs, oh I do feel sorry for myself lol!) Glad to hear Julie is back to normal what a relief. Sandie too has improved greatly to the point she's being a right pest chasing poor Jasmine round the house but I'd rather have her like that. She's off for her myxi jab tomorrow so that's bound to upset her, the other 3 had theirs last week so she had a brief reprieve. xx :wave::wave:

I am so glad to hear that Sandie is back to herself. Julie is a nut case also but love her like that. I hope that you back heals soon. Back problems are the worst.

Back