• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please can I have some vibes for Rupert

are they giving fluid therapy too ? iv or sub cutaneous as well as oral

lactulose may also be useful. it is an osomotic laxative that draws fluid into the impacted matter making it softer and easier to break down

sending more vibes for rupert

I'm not sure, I will ask them when I call at 12 - I will tell them to do this if they're not already - and ask about fluid (she did say something about if he starts to get dehydrated she'd put something in his ear or something? but that he was a bit boisterous and would only do it when absolutel necessary. ill ask exactly what they're giving him.

thanks jane x

All of that sounds quite positive from the experience I've had. I've had a few with blockage/obstruction that's moved on its own, well, with medicine and TLC rather than surgery. Elijah has had about 10 admissions for food refusal/bellyache/bloat type problems, this is the first time it's been so serious. Although he needed surgery it was quite reassuring that when they got to open him up they didn't find anything sinister, so we don't know why it keeps happening, well, the only explanation is that he eats his own hard poops and that is what had got stuck in his small intestine.

I'm glad he's better :)

This is Rupes' third gas incident - but we know what caused the others, and im definnitely sure its the hay... my theory is that he's not eaten as much hay as usual since saturday (opened the bag) so his gut would slow down (they both go thru phases of hay eatage which is why i wasn't concerned) then when hes sat for 20 mins eating this bliddy hay, its got stuck.... it was literally 10-15 mins after he stopped eating the hay that he got poorly :( its bound to be all hay in there ive checked their blanket and its not chewed and neither are their heat pad covers so he's not eaten anything he shouldn't so it must be food.

Sending vibes for Rupert and a (((Hugs))) for you. xxx

Thank you :) i'm at work but i can't concentrate. i locked thier shed this morning to try and keep tia as calm as poss (i do this when the weather is bad / windy) but worried now its a bit warmer, but i know she'll prefer the door closed bless her.

i just want him back now, even tho he bites my feet and chews my boots and furniture and steals tia's food, i just want him back

I'm not sure, I will ask them when I call at 12 - I will tell them to do this if they're not already - and ask about fluid (she did say something about if he starts to get dehydrated she'd put something in his ear or something? but that he was a bit boisterous and would only do it when absolutel necessary. ill ask exactly what they're giving him.

thanks jane x

I'd suggest sub cutaneous fluids then, assuming he is not to 'flat' and shut down. I have seen aggressive fluid therapy work miracles in cases of partial obstructions.

I'd suggest sub cutaneous fluids then, assuming he is not to 'flat' and shut down. I have seen aggressive fluid therapy work miracles in cases of partial obstructions.

What does that mean? does that mean in his mouth? (sorry if that sounds dumb :oops::lol: )

they're saying he's quite bright and alert - too right he's alert, he's surrounded by cats!

Just called - he's eaten some apple - bet he has, he's not allowed apple anymore! he'll not wanna come home at this rate!!!!

the vet was busy in surgery with another patient so will call when finished, but he's still not pooed :( but i've told them if he hasn't got a litter tray with hay he won't poo, he just won't do it

Rupert is alot better, he's pooped (they gave him a litter tray) and they feel he'll do better at home now, he's got one more set of meds at 4 then he's freeeeeeeee to come home! Picking him up straight from work, he's got to have probiotic for 6 days but hurray!!! He's coming home!!!! I can't wait to see his furry little face!!

Thank you :D STill on course to pick him up at 6 - I'm so pleased, bless him all he wanted was a litter tray :lol: so typical of him. I can't concentrate at work, i just wanna get my baby home!!!

Thank you for all the support its really kept me going :D

They said the pro biotic can go in his water or on his food so ill see which one he'll drink / eat :)

He's such a good boy :D

I can't wait to see how they react to each other :D

Well, picked my little man last night, he was very 'out of it' :(
Got him home, and put him in the shed with Tia - hoping they'd remember each other - well, she thumped at him, so we brought them in the house (we always bring them in for few hours on a night time anyway) and they just ignored each other :( then he was putting his head down for grooming (she always humps his head :roll: then grooms him) but she was just running away from him :( he looked sooo depressed, i've never seen him looking that sad before, it was awful to see :(
He was very lethargic, just lying down (well, scrunched in a ball) and did the most horrendous poops I have ever seen / smelled - they looked like human poo and smelled like it too - i was gagging! but then he did do some small but round poops. He had a bit of hay, refused grape, but kept wanting to eat the straw from their bed :?
I gave him mashed up pellets and he's eaten them over night. As well as some normal pellets. When I opened shed this morning he came to see me as usual, took a grape, and a small piece of apple (im thinking anything he'll eat is better than nothing!) and did some poos, then went back to the top - i stroked him and he licked my hand.
I've given him his usual breakfast of veg, but he turned his nose up at it, I've also given him more mashed pellets (with his probiotic mixed in).
When I left he was eating some hay. I can't tell if he's had a drink, but he had a drink in the house last night. If their bond doesn't improve, I think i'm going to have to set a small enclosure up and get them bonded again - altho this morning he groomed her for a second or so and she groomed him.
She is also refusing hay (but I think its cos they want ings - a replacement bag is being sent) i'm expecting a hay experts orer today, ive ordreed alfafa king timothy and redigrass - that SHOULD get them interested in eating hay.
They gave him vetergesic (ive put another post on regarding this).
They said to take him to our normal vets on saturday - i have a nurse apt for nail clipping anyway so hopefully can change to a vet - im not happy that he's not been given antibiotics especially as his gut was stopped for so long :(
I want my loved up bunnies back, it was hard to watch them last night, they wre acting like strangers :( their bond breaking has always been my worst nightmare. They wsere eating hay out of the basket together so thats a good sign isn't it?

Last night, I said 'who wants p and p?' (i say this every night, sit on the floor, rupert jumps on my lap, takes the lid off and they have three each) and he ran to the sofa where i sit on the floor, and took the lid off (i had to loosen it for him) and had a few bits, then took a greeky at bedtime too - these are positives :)

Back