• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can I have some vibes for Basil? U/D post 95 - Doing fantastic

Blood results

They've come back with some raised white blood cells, raised liver enzymes which are all due to the infection. Unfortunately they were unable to get blood culture for what the infection as there wasn't enough blood so the main thing I needed to know I don't. The vet said a 4 week course of the panacur would be best for Basil. I told him he had no other signs but with him recently being on a 9 day course of panacur he thinks it might have hidden some of the signs if this is what it is but at the moment we don't know whether it's the ear infection or EC. I told him about the weak legs have now gone from the back legs to the front legs and he said this sometimes happens but like Jane suggested I will massage his legs.

Aww poor Basil, sorry to hear he's having a rough time of it :( He's still gorgeous though :love: Hope the little man starts to feel better soon :)

Update

Today he's better again :D He can sit up better as his front legs have gained more strength and he can now get to his water bottle and get himself a drink. He's able to eat those poops he's meant to eat straight away as he can bend down and get them himself. It was a little harder to give his meds today as he's now stronger. I'm so made up to see this progress, I know it's slow but it's all heading in the right direction :D

I was wondering whether it'd be worth getting another blood sample to do blood cultures. He's back at the vets on Tuesday afternoon for a check up but as they struggled to get blood from him would it be worth stressing him out again to get more? I'd just like to get a definete answer as to what this is but he's on antibiotics and panacur so would we get an answer now?

Today he's better again :D He can sit up better as his front legs have gained more strength and he can now get to his water bottle and get himself a drink. He's able to eat those poops he's meant to eat straight away as he can bend down and get them himself. It was a little harder to give his meds today as he's now stronger. I'm so made up to see this progress, I know it's slow but it's all heading in the right direction :D

I was wondering whether it'd be worth getting another blood sample to do blood cultures. He's back at the vets on Tuesday afternoon for a check up but as they struggled to get blood from him would it be worth stressing him out again to get more? I'd just like to get a definete answer as to what this is but he's on antibiotics and panacur so would we get an answer now?

Personally I would not opt for another blood test if he is responding to the treatment anyway and the last attempt to take blood was stressful for him.
As frustrating as it is sometimes we never find out for certain what was wrong and only a speculative diagnosis can be made going on presenting symptoms and how Bun responds to abx, anti-inflamms etc. The main thing is Basil is getting better which is FANTASTIC !! :D

Personally I would not opt for another blood test if he is responding to the treatment anyway and the last attempt to take blood was stressful for him.
As frustrating as it is sometimes we never find out for certain what was wrong and only a speculative diagnosis can be made going on presenting symptoms and how Bun responds to abx, anti-inflamms etc. The main thing is Basil is getting better which is FANTASTIC !! :D

Thankyou Jane, you are right the main thing is he's getting better :D but it's very frustrating not knowing fully what this is. I can't wait to show our vet the progress he's making :D

Thankyou Jane, you are right the main thing is he's getting better :D but it's very frustrating not knowing fully what this is. I can't wait to show our vet the progress he's making :D

Well done for all the care you are giving him and for not giving up on him when some people criticised you. You know your Basil-Bun and obviously could tell he is wanting to fight hard to get better

:)

Update

Wow I'm so amazed by him :D Basil is doing great, I'm actually having to try to stop him hopping so much as he thinks he can do a huge hop off the settee so he's currently banned from it as I'm worried how he'll land after what he's been through this week. He tried to get in the kitchen and eat dog food again as I left the gate open so I'm having to remember to close the gate again. It truely is amazing to see the progress he's made :D I'm so proud of him for being so strong. I'm putting his litter tray back in the cage tomorrow as he'll be able to jump in and out of it again now and I'm hoping he'll remember what it's for but he's a clever little bunny so I'm sure he will :love::love::love: I'm so pleased that he's made so much progress :D

Its great when you read good news....i am glad he is heading the right way to getting better!

So glad he his making progress, it just proves how much you know your bunny as you have never given up on him:D

Been the vets

Well he's very impressed with him :D he's still got some weakness on his front left leg but not as bad as what it was and his ear is back to normal. He's got a couple more days of baytril and he's on a 4 week course of panacur, I did question him over 6 weeks but he thinks 4 weeks is ok. He said if it's EC he might build up resistence to panacur and go downhill again whilst on it :( or he might go downhill again when he comes off it and will therefore be put back on it. He said there's other things to treat EC other than panacur but we'll just stick to this for now. He's due for a checkup a week after he's finished the panacur. He also thinks the other rabbits are ok on only a 9 day course, is this right? He said they're low risk but I'm still worried. They live outdoors and he lives indoors so they're not near one another but I'm worried about them, but then I might be worrying over nothing as this might not even be EC :?

Update

Hi thankyou for asking again about him :D He's doing super, he's jumping all around our living room there's no stopping him :lol::love::love: Really strange how he suddenly perked up and he's now back to what he was before I thought I might loose him. He's gained weight as well, he's now 6lb13oz so he's looking loads better in himself although he needs to gain more weight still. I'm so pleased with how things have turned out. Thankyou everyone for all the support you sent for us, it was such a horrible week last week, I'm so glad I've got my Basil back :D:love::love::love::love:

Glad he has picked up
just out of interest have you informed the breeder you bought him from about the possible EC?
I know he was not gaining weight correctly... which you blamed on diet...since you had him..and really his mother and all his litter mates should be panacured just to be safe:?

Hi thankyou for asking again about him :D He's doing super, he's jumping all around our living room there's no stopping him :lol::love::love: Really strange how he suddenly perked up and he's now back to what he was before I thought I might loose him. He's gained weight as well, he's now 6lb13oz so he's looking loads better in himself although he needs to gain more weight still. I'm so pleased with how things have turned out. Thankyou everyone for all the support you sent for us, it was such a horrible week last week, I'm so glad I've got my Basil back :D:love::love::love::love:

So pleased to hear that you have a Bouncy Basil again :D

Glad he has picked up
just out of interest have you informed the breeder you bought him from about the possible EC?
I know he was not gaining weight correctly... which you blamed on diet...since you had him..and really his mother and all his litter mates should be panacured just to be safe:?

Yes I have informed the breeder the other day about the possibility of EC. I also said that we're unable to test for it cos he's on panacur as the vet said it won't show up on blood tests now. I think when he comes off the panacur we might get more of an idea then about this although I'm dreading the thought of him going downhill again :cry:

Back