• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PLEAAAASE!! How do I stop bunny from crapping EVERYWHERE!!

BunnBunns

Young Bun
Ochhh please someone help me!

I have 2 bunnies, 1 boy and 1 girl. I've had the boy for 8 months and he is SO good, he only poos in his litter tray, he has been neutered but he was a really good boy even before that. So because of this - I made the mistake of thinking 'Bunnies are EASY to litter train' - big BIG MISTAKE!

So..I got a young lady, she was 6 weeks old when we got her and we have had her for 8 weeks. Because my boy was already a PROPER house bunny (no cage just litter trays) I didn't have the heart to keep her in a cage so I just let her free with him. But she poos everywhere and i mean EVERYWHERE. The house is her litter tray! I am constantly cleaning up after her..I have tried all the usual stuff....put litter trays where she poos most (but to be honest, she has no specific place she just craps everywhere) and when i clean up her poos I put them into the littler tray to try and tell her 'this is where you poo' but nothing is working. God knows where she is weeing!

I am just so sick of cleaning up after her and stepping in **** when I get out of bed! My last resort is to just buy a cage for her and she has to live in that while my boy roams free, which i feel SO guilty about because for 8 weeks she has been roaming free and she knows how fun it is! I just don't know what else to do. Will it honestly get better after she's spayed? I still havr another 3 months to wait for that! I thought it would be SO easy to train her, but obviously Toki is just such a good little man.

I know it is my fault, i feel now I should have DEFINITELY had her living in a cage for a bit, she probably thinks the house is her cage so she can poo anywhere she wants - is that where I went wrong?

PLEASE HELP!! I reallly hope there are some other tricks I am yet to try - or do you think I SHOULD just get a cage for her and try and litter train her from in there? If i do this - Can I put her in the cage during the day when we are at work and then get her out in the evening (the bunnies LOVE to cuddle up to and groom each other, I would feel SO guilty cos I think they'd miss each other). or is it best to keep her in the cage until she's spayed at least and just get her out every now and then.

Sorry for the essay, thanks for your time and help :)

Until she's spayed she'll want to mark her territory, there's little that can be done about that. Certainly trapping her in a cage would do nothing but cause harm.

It sounds like the problem is she has too much space too soon. She is probably trying to make the whole place as her territory :roll:

I would get a cage or dog crate you can use as their "base" keep her in it for a few days, see where she poos and put the litter tray there. Then give her a bit more space, if she starts going everywhere give her a bit longer in the cage..oh and don't clean it too well, then she'll recognise the smell as her toilet :)

Getting her spayed will help too

my two girls are spayed, and they still leave droppings everywhere they go. But as they are outdoor, I don't mind, and I just check the hutch and run for any poos and clear it up.

She's still a bit of a baby and they will be more difficult to teach until they're done, plus she can probably smell his scent everywhere, so she's trying to make things smell more like her :) I would give her less room and perhaps buy a foldable pen, once she can use that without pooing everywhere, I would extend her space.

I'm still trying to teach my two to use their loo, they both wee in the right spot, but the poos go pretty much everywhere. I pick up their poos twice a day and put a handful in their toilets, they're getting there :lol:

My last bun Mitsy wasn't spayed, but had perfect loo habits, so I am in a similar place as you - but I think that's partially as I have two buns and they are competing over smells :)

Yes, pretty much all that. Also, don't expect her to be cured overnight after she gets fixed, it can take weeks, even a month or two, for hormones to settle down.

Another problem, like you mentioned, is too much too soon. Especially if they are in a new environment, they need to be confined to a run for a week or two, where they can get used to everything and develop good box habits, THEN, let her have a little more room at a time.

Good luck!!!

Back