• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant ID photos, for my benefit and yours!

Shinysun

Young Bun
Hey all, been busy snapping as I'd like these critters IDed, and I guess it will help others too. I know there was a thread about starting a proper plant ID section, so I may be able to help with some photos, photos are my thing :)

Plant 1
plant1.jpg

Plant 2 - ALL OVER my lawn, do I have to get rid? It's pretty!
plant2.jpg

plant2a.jpg

Plant 3 - Also all over the lawn, has a strong stem and seems to be a spreader.
plant3.jpg

Plant 4
plant4.jpg

Plant5 and 6 - one is yellow archangel, the other some type of fern, are they safe?
plant5-6.jpg

Plant7
plant7.jpg

Plant 8
plant8.jpg

Plant 9
plant9.jpg

Plant 10
plant10.jpg

Plant 11
plant11.jpg

Plant 12
plant12.jpg

Much kudos to anybody who can id these, I've tried and failed! If you know what they are and if they are bunny food or not, it would be great to know!

Thanks
Susan

I figured some out with the help of Dave's garden plant id forum and a book of drawings of british wildflowers :lol:

Plant 2 is Wood Speedwell, apparently ok for buns? I have approx 40000 of them in my lawn, and so far I've removed about 600. Quite bored now! :lol:

Plant 8 is Ivy-Leaved Toadflax and is poisonous. Shame as its really pretty!

Plant 9 I've been told was Rumex but I'm not sure.

Any others?

3 looks like sorrell.
7 looks like cyclamen, pretty sure its poisonous.
9 is dock which is a rumex, sorrel is also a rumex.
11 is another type of speedwell.
12 is a violet of some kind.

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I think scale may be an issue as 7 is leaves the size of your hand, so can't be cyclamen.

I see what you mean about dock. Yesterday I bought a book of 1100 british wildflowers - on the dock page there are 9 different types of dock - all rumex. I'd been looking at sorrel for rumex as didn't realise dock was rumex too - there are 3 types of sorrel in the book, 2 are rumex so that was what confused me! Wonder which type of dock I have, is it bunny safe?

Agreed on 11 and 12 now that I look, maybe Blue Water Speedwell or similar, some are so similar it's so hard to tell! Violets I read were safe, but no idea if that's all violets or just some. I've yet to figure which one I have.

Finally number 3, again is really pretty small, leaves a cm long, and grows flat to the floor, I thought sorrel was much bigger and grew upwards?

Thanks again for the help!
Susan

Hi :wave:

I sent my Pa a link to this thread and here are the results :D
1]Enchanters nightshade
2]Ground Ivy
3]Speedwell
4]Sorrel
5]?Herb robert.
6] Harts tongue fern and Lamium garden type fom yellow archangel
7]Coltsfoot
8]Ivy-leaved toadflax
9]Dock
10]Sow thistle
11]Speedwell again different species &
12]Dog Violet

Hope that helps :wave:

Thank you that's great! I'm slowly getting more educated on wild plants of the UK now, but there's a lot to learn!

Much appreciated!
Susan

Back