• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plans for companion

Looking forward I do want to get my bun a companion for her own well-being, 6 months before she can be spayed so it’s around 4 months to wait.

I wonder if I should get a buck sooner than later, but of course before they can meet he is going to need to be neutered, so a new bun Around 8 weeks would give around a month or more for castration and then some time to heal.

If I have another cage and habitat next door the buck lived in this would give them a chance to communicate through the bars so they would know each other before they can meet. Would that help? Maybe I can time or so both are operated on at a similar time so the wait for introductions won’t be as long.

Also as she is a mini lop I do want to make sure her companion is also a small breed so not to hurt her, so either another mini lop, a netherland dwarf or a mini Rex might be the best breeds to look for?

Have you thought about contacting a rescue to see who they have looking for a home? The bun from them is likely to be neutered and vaccinated already?
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Your female could be introduced to a Buck which is already neutered now if you wanted. Otherwise you will need to wait until your new boy has been neutered and add on 6 weeks for him to become sterile as by the time he is old enough to be neutered your female could get pregnant. You could have them both neutered at the same time but you will have to keep them well separated as Rabbits can jump over high partitions to get to one another.

Your female could be introduced to a Buck which is already neutered now if you wanted. Otherwise you will need to wait until your new boy has been neutered and add on 6 weeks for him to become sterile as by the time he is old enough to be neutered your female could get pregnant. You could have them both neutered at the same time but you will have to keep them well separated as Rabbits can jump over high partitions to get to one another.

I agree with this very much. A good time to bond Does is before they become hormonal, but this has to be with a neutered Buck. I would get a neutered and vaccinated Buck from a rescue and then you could put them together now with a good chance of a successful bond. Then they could stay together and she can be spayed at the appropriate time.

Back