• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip has gas again

Mervinius

Mama Doe
So we are back to Pip having gas. I've got to work today, so going to have to leave her at home. She's not eating! I just can't understand it. I think it must be the pellets although they've been fine for 5 months!

I dont know if maybe they just swell too much in their teeny tummy [emoji848]

My OH is at home, so he can watch her. Going to have to go wake him with the news [emoji24]

Poor Pip :( It really does sound like it's the pellets doesn't it. Perhaps consider just one or two a day, or none. I hope she feels better soon.

What has her poo output been like over the last 48 hours ?

Best thing I did was put all my Rabbits on a pellet free diet.

What has her poo output been like over the last 48 hours ?

Best thing I did was put all my Rabbits on a pellet free diet.
Large poops everywhere. Both eating like troopers last night. Phoned ER vets and they said we could give her loxicam and see how she is. So done that, off to work and OH will monitor.

Sorry everyone finally back from work. We have her metacam and she started eating by 10! She's begging for food, so she seems fine.

Going to phone the vet tomorrow to talk things through. But not giving them any pellets today.

If I don't give them pellets how will they get Vit D? They don't go outside [emoji848]

Sorry everyone finally back from work. We have her metacam and she started eating by 10! She's begging for food, so she seems fine.

Going to phone the vet tomorrow to talk things through. But not giving them any pellets today.

If I don't give them pellets how will they get Vit D? They don't go outside [emoji848]

glad the episode passed quickly. Taken from FHB website Rabbits that are kept indoors and not exposed to sunlight may not have enough vitamin D to help them absorb calcium from the diet. This won't matter if the diet has enough calcium in it but will matter if the diet is low in calcium. so technically IF you were to get the right calcium level with her hay & forage you wouldn't need to worry. Its a big IF though - even the fact she has no incisors could mean she needs a tiny bit less calcium than Archie.

[/B]

glad the episode passed quickly. Taken from FHB website Rabbits that are kept indoors and not exposed to sunlight may not have enough vitamin D to help them absorb calcium from the diet. This won't matter if the diet has enough calcium in it but will matter if the diet is low in calcium. so technically IF you were to get the right calcium level with her hay & forage you wouldn't need to worry. Its a big IF though - even the fact she has no incisors could mean she needs a tiny bit less calcium than Archie.
Hmmm that would be hard to know wouldn't it [emoji848]. I wondering if we should try science selective the grain free one?

Hmmm that would be hard to know wouldn't it [emoji848]. I wondering if we should try science selective the grain free one?
We're on those and seem to be fine but these two don't have touchy bellies.

Primrose was a no nugget bun due to gas episodes. The vet didn't have many concerns about her calcium/d vitamin but suggested we check it yearly just to be sure. The one she had before we lost her indicated she was doing well with both.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

We're on those and seem to be fine but these two don't have touchy bellies.

Primrose was a no nugget bun due to gas episodes. The vet didn't have many concerns about her calcium/d vitamin but suggested we check it yearly just to be sure. The one she had before we lost her indicated she was doing well with both.

Oh thats interesting. How did they check her vitamin levels ?

A blood test I think during her yearly work up.

They don't always do them but both Rodney and Primrose had them last year as he'd been struggling with bladder sludge and we couldn't confirm if it was just him or both of them as they used to use the litter tray in the exact same spot.

Back