• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple

cloud007

Young Bun
Hi,

I have heard Pineapple is good for a rabbits digestive system is this true?

Image0937-1.jpg

Fresh Pineapple contains some strong enzymes so it's useful to help you rabbit during it's moult if you are worried it may have ingested some amount of fur while grooming.

I'm not sure it would be good to feed it regularly though, as bunnies have a delicate digestive balance that shouldn't normally need extra help, and I imagine too much pineapple would have an adverse effect.

I heard the juice (and thus I guess the fruit) was good for furballs and preventing a blockage.... but I wouldnt feed it too much as its bound to be full of natural sugar like apples :)

I want pineapple juice now :?

Yes, but in small amounts I think. I have seen it recommended for rabbits with hairballs and stasis as it gets the guts moving again, though obviously it is no substitute for medical care. I think you can put a bit of juice in their water too. Papaya has the same effect I think.

Oxbow papaya tablets don't have any added sugar but they are expensive. I have them but don't give them every day.

During a moult I will give mine some pineapple juice each once a week. Too much sugar can have an adverse effect e.g. diabetes.

My friends rabbit had colic and her vet told her to help this to not come back you should feed your rabbits some pineapple juice once a week.
Does that sound right?
We both go to different vets and they tell us different things. My vet said to feed veg in small portions and not all the time becuse that is more like it is in the wild. However her vet said that you should feed them lots and lots of veg everyday all the time.
(sorry if i'm taking over your post, I was just wondering:oops:)

Pineapple juice is normally suggested to try to help break down any hair in the gut i.e. to prevent any "blockages" forming. It is not "proven" but there is supposed to be an enzyme in the pineapple that helps break down the hair.

I tend to give it once a week during a moult and ad hoc with the Oxbow papaya tablets.

I would think every week would be too much (depending on how much is given) as it is very sugary and could have adverse effect e.g. diabetes, contribute to obesity.

I hope this helps.

Yes this was reccommended by my vet when Timmy was in stasis. I now give them a small chunk of fresh pineapple once a week although now he's started moulting I'll give it to them twice a week (just a small chunk though.) I always use fresh pineapple that Ive cut into chunks myself. It keeps really well for about a week in a tupperwear box in the fridge. Obv they dont eat it all so we get lots of fresh pineapple too, yummy!
xxx

Back