• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking a personality with bonding

Nymphadora

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Dora's new shed is being delivered in 10 days and I'm hoping that it could be ready for her to move in to in 3-4 weeks all being well. Anyway we are wondering if it could be worth trying to find her a husbun to coincide with the big move so that it all starts as neutral territory and I was hoping for some bonding advice.

We have a great local rescue (fat fluffs) who I'm hoping will be able to assist with the bonding process as I haven't done it before but I was wondering what I should look for temperament wise in a potential mate, is it the case that generally opposites attract or should I look for a bun with a similar temperament?

Dora is a dwarf lop, about 2.2kg and 7 months old, she was neutered 4 weeks ago. She is a really sweet girl and like to jump up on the sofa for a snuggle but she can also be a feisty little thing and has a grumpy attitute sometimes that is so cute it's funny! She's a 4 feet on the ground kind of bun but loves head strokes and attention on her own terms! She is really confident, active and speedy and loves to run laps and oh my goodness does she like to chew things!! We have 2 cats and Dora is very much in charge! I guess what I-m asking is should I be looking for a quiet (but confident) bun who might balance her out a little or should I be looking for a bun whi is equally nutty?

Any other bonding advice would be gratefully received!

Hey! Its a wonderful idea to the move the 2 buns in to the same living quarters at the same time. Unclaimed neutral territory is what all bunny bonders strive for.
Dora sounds to have a very similar personality to our dwarf lop Boo. She paired beautifully with Joey who is a gentler soul though no pushover. I'd go for complimentary rather than identical personalities. Working with Fat Fluffs sound great idea too - they can help personality match & bond. I reckon I'd call them now (well maybe wait til morning :lol:) & tell them your plans & time scales. Good luck

Fat fluffs is a brilliant rescue so I'd just give them a ring and I am sure they will help you find the perfect match!

They may want to wait a couple more weeks if your girl has only recently been spayed, but it is a very good idea to keep the new neutral space for a newly bonded couple. Good luck!

Back