• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photographing Rabbits

Sports mode is what I use :D

For them to be great you need good light.... evening I find is best (in our garden its too bright thru the day)... no good trying in the house its too blurry in our house, flash is too bright, light is not bright enough.

Bribery works well to get them to sit still (I use pellets) then whistle.... they stop and look up.

I adjust the light balance on mine as I need to.

I sometime use Aperture priority - for instance if they're lying still ill use that... I prefer to put my 300mm lens on and stand back - well, I lie on the floor, get on their level. and zoom in (my camera has a shake adjuster on it to stop shake). This means you get the blurred background and the bunny stands out.

It just takes practice, get used to what your camera does etc.

Oh, I nearly always use burst mode too... especially for binkies! mine are just too fast tho, and never sit stil!

I can't post any because photobucket won't work/

Last edited:
Interesting stuff, definitely going outside for a play with the camera as soon as the wind dies down!

Can I asks when the best time of day is to take outdoor shots? Does it depend on the weather ?

Interesting stuff, definitely going outside for a play with the camera as soon as the wind dies down!

Can I asks when the best time of day is to take outdoor shots? Does it depend on the weather ?

Well you do not want to be getting your camera gear wet as that could be disastrous unless you have a rain cover for it. I prefer early morning or evening but if it is cloudy then the light has been naturally diffused so should be good to go ;) xx

I sometime use Aperture priority - for instance if they're lying still ill use that... I prefer to put my 300mm lens on and stand back - well, I lie on the floor, get on their level. and zoom in (my camera has a shake adjuster on it to stop shake). This means you get the blurred background and the bunny stands out.
Exactly the effect I'm looking for but tbh I'd be happy with a non blurred bunny in the screen atm!

Well you do not want to be getting your camera gear wet as that could be disastrous unless you have a rain cover for it. I prefer early morning or evening but if it is cloudy then the light has been naturally diffused so should be good to go ;) xx

No I don't have any posh accessories, guess I'll save the mini tripod for my eBay listings then! I'm an early riser so next time we have a lovely morning I'lll get out there with them. Thanks :)

Exactly the effect I'm looking for but tbh I'd be happy with a non blurred bunny in the screen atm!

I take hundreds (literally) and probably, maybe (haha) get 5-10 good ones a time.

I love early evenings, the light is amazing, if photobucket plays nice I will post my all time favourite photo of Rupert with the light coming through the trees behind him (looks like diamonds)

I would love to see that, sounds beautiful. I've taken some nice scenery shots with my good camera, moving things are very different though. I think, as you say, I need to just take lots of pics.

I would love to see that, sounds beautiful. I've taken some nice scenery shots with my good camera, moving things are very different though. I think, as you say, I need to just take lots of pics.

My 1st tutor gave me some of the best advice I have ever had in photography. He told me to imagine I only had 36 exposures like in the days of rolls of film and to use those 36 exposures wisely. It really did work, i got my subjects framed and composed and i had to think about it. It didn't always work though but it certainly taught me to think about my shots. xxx

My 1st tutor gave me some of the best advice I have ever had in photography. He told me to imagine I only had 36 exposures like in the days of rolls of film and to use those 36 exposures wisely. It really did work, i got my subjects framed and composed and i had to think about it. It didn't always work though but it certainly taught me to think about my shots. xxx
I am so glad I started learning in the age of film! That said, I still took 1300 pictures at a friends' wedding XD But most of what I take is good: sometimes I take for memories, sometimes for artiness :)

I am so glad I started learning in the age of film! That said, I still took 1300 pictures at a friends' wedding XD But most of what I take is good: sometimes I take for memories, sometimes for artiness :)

I still work with film mostly 35mm and 120mm but i do use the 5x4 large format camera at times and the quality is out of this world, digital could never beat analogue in my opinion but sadly the expense of using film cameras now is very expensive :) xx

Above are the best ones I got after having a play with the camera this morning - the other buns weren't playing but Betty was happy to be my model. I'm less scared of the camera now so thank you to everyone who has posted. Any tips on improving the above picture and the others that I'm less happy with much appreciated!

Above are the best ones I got after having a play with the camera this morning - the other buns weren't playing but Betty was happy to be my model. I'm less scared of the camera now so thank you to everyone who has posted. Any tips on improving the above picture and the others that I'm less happy with much appreciated!

Beautiful images! Nice and sharp with good exposure :love: I think the only thing i would advise is to think about your composition. I love both of the images but the top image is my favourite out of the two. With the bottom one The left side of the photo seems to be empty of information,a little bit like negative space that is unused I think cropping in tighter would do the trick.
How i do it, is I imagine i am looking at a square that is like a grid and you have 9 little squares within the big one and each of those boxes have some information in them. Some cameras even have the rule of 3rds grid when you use live view. But other than that which is not even a big issue in these images, they are brilliant! :love:

xxx

Thank you Lenslady - she has a moult line but she's usually quite well groomed :wave:

Yes composition isn't my strong point and the top one is my favourite too - except for the blooming great compost bin in the background!!!!!

Thank you Lenslady :wave:

Yes composition isn't my strong point - the top one is my favourite too - except for the blooming great compost bin in the background!!!!!

The background objects do not bother me at all i don't feel my eyes lead me away from the bunny to the bin and thats because your focus is spot on and the bin gets lost in a shallow depth of field, which has blocked the distraction. composition isn't easy with moving subjects you have to observe and its all about timing. I am not the best with moving subjects either :love: xx

Thank you for all of the advice, I really appreciate it and will be back out this evening to see if any of the others will oblige :D

Personally I actually think the composition is more pleasing in the bottom image.
I think the lighting and background are both nicer too, and your uprights are straighter. lovely photo.

I either set the shutter speed high for binky photos or I use the camera in aperture mode for the depth of field I want. I used to shoot all in manual but never do any more, you can easily miss shots if you're having to worry about making all the settings work together.
Light is key, but I think it's something you get a feel for. As a general rule, the higher the sun is in the sky the worse it is for taking photographs.

I can't say I have any great photos of my rabbits. The light in my garden is always rubbish, sadly. Some nice photos, bit nothing I'd want on my wall if if weren't my rabbit.

Personally I actually think the composition is more pleasing in the bottom image.
I think the lighting and background are both nicer too, and your uprights are straighter. lovely photo.

Ha! Well thank you - just shows we are all different. I'm starting to like it a bit more now and have several other similar ones as I shot them in quick succession while the going was good. Sadly, my other buns weren't playing last night, will try again when it gets light!

Back