• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home Insurance

I'm with you on this Bunny Buddy - see my earlier post.
If someone can't afford, say, £12 a month insurance, how are they going to cope with a vet bill of what could easily amount to £500?

I never said I couldn't afford it, it's just easier for me to put that £12 into a little box in my room and then build it up for the vet bills :)

I did insure Izzy with PetPlan but they said all the things they didn't include, and how it had to cost a certain amount for them to pay. I'm happy to save money for their vet bills instead, and my Dad said he'd help me pay for big vet bills.

Last edited:
I never said I couldn't afford it, it's just easier for me to put that £12 into a little box in my room and then build it up for the vet bills :)
I did insure Izzy with PetPlan but they said all the things they didn't include, and how it had to cost a certain amount for them to pay. I'm happy to save money for their vet bills instead, and my Dad said he'd help me pay for big vet bills.

No, it wasn't you that said you couldn't afford it, sorry if it read that way, others on the thread or similar threads say it/said it. Making an informed choice to put money away because it represent a better way of using the money is an entirely different matter to saying you can't afford the premiums and it's just down to each individual which sounds a better way of planning.

Be careful who you insure with as some pet insurance companies have stopped providing insurance which means you have to find another to insure with and they will exclude any pre existing conditions and some pets may be too old to be insured.

This is what it says about pets at home insurance

Pets at Home policies are arranged and administered by BDML Connect Ltd, The Connect Centre, Kingston Crescent, Portsmouth, PO2 8QL. BDML Connect is an insurance intermediary. Your pet insurance is underwritten by Broadgate Syndicate 1301 at Lloyd’s of London and Groupama Insurance Company Limited.

Lloyds and Halifax are pulling out of the pet insurance so check who the insurance is with and make sure they are going to cover your pet for as long as you want them to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-and-Halifax-to-pull-pet-insurance-cover.html

Be careful who you insure with as some pet insurance companies have stopped providing insurance which means you have to find another to insure with and they will exclude any pre existing conditions and some pets may be too old to be insured.

This is what it says about pets at home insurance

Pets at Home policies are arranged and administered by BDML Connect Ltd, The Connect Centre, Kingston Crescent, Portsmouth, PO2 8QL. BDML Connect is an insurance intermediary. Your pet insurance is underwritten by Broadgate Syndicate 1301 at Lloyd’s of London and Groupama Insurance Company Limited.

And Lloyds and Halifax are pulling out of the pet insurance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-and-Halifax-to-pull-pet-insurance-cover.html

THis is something I've worried about in the past and I have recently swapped Rudy to Pets at Home (he has loads of exclusions, so I went for the cheapest), it's a huge gamble as unlike car insurance you can't swap and change every year and take all the cover with you.

THis is something I've worried about in the past and I have recently swapped Rudy to Pets at Home (he has loads of exclusions, so I went for the cheapest), it's a huge gamble as unlike car insurance you can't swap and change every year and take all the cover with you.

Are the underwritters for pets at home insurance linked to Lloyds?

No, it wasn't you that said you couldn't afford it, sorry if it read that way, others on the thread or similar threads say it/said it. Making an informed choice to put money away because it represent a better way of using the money is an entirely different matter to saying you can't afford the premiums and it's just down to each individual which sounds a better way of planning.

It was Lucy 1666 who said she couldn't afford insurance.

For anybody who can't afford the monthly premiums for insurance this is what Artie has cost me this year:

Ongoing treatment for bladder sludge - £18 per bladder expressing every six weeks = £144 a year
Daily metacam and frusimide - approx £10 a month = £120 a year

Removal of kidney stones = £844
Removal of kidney = £600

Stasis episode (gut related) = £200
Stasis episode, after 11pm (bladder sludge related) + bladder flush treatment = £250

Total = £2158 approx. Pet Plan insurance would have been about £120 a year, there would have been 3 excesses to pay as 3 conditions, but I would have got £2000 back on insurance claims, if I'd had him insured with them. By a stroke of luck I insured with Pets at Home (about £65, annual policy) just before his kidney trouble so I got £1k back in insurance claims but he's still cost over £1k this year and won't be insured for any of the above after May. He appeared perfectly healthy until just over 4 years old. .... it's worth thinking about if £10 a month seems a lot to pay for insurance.

My first bun "bobbin" was without insurance and luckily never had any issues, I used this as a template for "buttons" which was a poorly soul and cost me dearly, £850 for gut stasis over Xmas 3 years ago and a further £1500 or so before he sadly became too ill to recover. Petplan insurance was the first thing I took out for "bouncer". I'd never put money before a life but not everyone fully understands how much a little bunny can cost when the're ill. 30p a day isn't that bad for peace of mind.

Back