• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

permenant runs added to existing hutch/run combo

Lynseypvic

Young Bun
Hi

I am looking for a run to add to my natura hutch/run combo which is higher than the one you can buy for it.
This is my hutch/run combo:
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Th...&caTitle=Delux 6 x 3 x 4 Rabbit Hutch and Run

This is the extension you can buy for it:

It looks like it would fit against the higher run part of the combo and leave space free in front of the hutch part. It would give more floor space, but not very high (only 48 inches). I don't know why they didn't make it as high the hutch/run combo. That would have been ideal.
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_timber_frame/33224

So we are wondering what other solutions there might be to add a bit of permenant/semi permenant run space.

Whenever we are outside or in the kitchen or dining room, our rabbit has free play on either the patio where the hutch is sited, or the patio and lawn, as we can supervise. But now it is getting colder, we are looking into buying a secure, folding run which we can put on the grass area, so she can have some exercise on the lawn and we can close the door or wander to the rest of the house too LOL! We would also like to extend her home so she has a bit more permenant/semi permenant living space.

We thought about building an Aviary around the exsisting hutch/run on the patio. The pros are that the rabbit would have much more permenant space and we could have it high, so could add more interesting bits like shelves and bit to jump on. We could also walk straight inside and we could even add a transparent roof which would be a big bonus on wet days. The cons are that we can't afford something like that and not sure when we could. My husband has said he could try and get the cheapest panels and do himself, but as we only have a smallish garden and this aviary would be stuck right in front of our patio doors, it could be too imposing, especially if it looks cheap. Also we have raised flower bed to the side of the patio, which Lavender loves, but we would have to block this area off so she could not get deliberately stuck there (and we can't get to her) once aviary is in place. We could look at smashing out the raised bed, but again, extra time and money, so not something for the near future.

So the other thing would be to find another run which we can fit to our hutch securely so it can stay on all the time, but which we can detach in order to clean the main part. making something from scratch isn't really an option. So, any ideas about good runs (secure or can be made secure) which can be added to existing enclosures and have a bit more height for the rabbits than the natura run extension above? It would have to be an awkward 3 1/2 ft wide so it could fit onto the run part of our current combo and a maximum of 5 ft so we could squeeze past it to get to the hutch part on the right.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Lynsey

Any chance of a pic of your setup/garden. It's a bit hard to tell from your description. One option would be to remove the current run and put the hutch on some a leg (an old coffee table works if DIY isn't your thing. You could then build a new aviary style run around the hutch. You could reuse the panels from the existing run (use them at the back/where part hidden) and get new ones for the rest - or you can build your own they're not too complicated to make :)

Can you incorporate the raised bed? Just shape the panels so it goes up and over and have a ramp going up if it's to high to jump :)

Hi
The current hutch/run is an all in one and can't be seperated and the panels wouldn't be high enough to do anything else with. So its a case of keeping it and adding to it, or getting rid. After problems we have had getting the hutch (lots of problems with the company zoo plus), i think my husband would kill me if we got rid of it, and it would be such a waste of money which we can't afford.

The raised bed is only a small ledge and she loves it, so we could try and incorporate it. Just worried about getting DIY right with some kind of aviary style run, especially as it will be right in front of the patio doors and block the view of the garden too.

I can try and get a photo, but basically, the patio is in front of the patio and kitchen door and is set back about 9ft, but this includes a ledge (width of a small patio slab and height of half a slab) you step up on to the slighly raised lawn which has a small fence with a gate. The hutch/run is in front of this and faces the patio doors to the dining room. It is 6ft wide/long and 3ft deep (including over hang) and to the right side of it is another small ledge (width of a slab and height of half a slab) which is full of soil as it was a flower bed which the hutch/run is pushed against. Lavender loves running around the ledge and flower bed and jumping on and off.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Th...&caTitle=Delux 6 x 3 x 4 Rabbit Hutch and Run

Hi

Does anyone know of a run which is 6ft x 4 and has a trap door or, whole panel can be removed, on the 6ft side? I have seen runs where you can attach the 4ft side to an existing hutch, but not the 6ft side. It would also need to have another access door on one of the other sides so that she can come and go out the run and into the garden when allowed free access. She doesn't like being picked up and i want her to be able to come out herself.

Then maybe we can find a way of securely fixing it to the whole front of the hutch/run combi but so that i can detatch it for cleaning each day.

I would also need the lid to come off or fold back a lot as our rabbit would not come to be picked up, so i would have to get in and get her if i needed to.
If it was folding, it woudl be even better!!!:D

Thanks
Lynsey

Hi,
Maybe you can contact a joiner or someone like this in your area, and they would be able to make it to your exact specifacation (sp:lol:)

Good Luck x

Jack x

Back