• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People who go to petshops

Why choose pet shop

• Been refused rescue bun

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Impulse buy

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Didn't know about rescues

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Other Please state.

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
But how can the owner provide the care if they dont have much money to pay for vet bills to cater for that care?

Very true, it is not a god given right to have a pet. You need to be able to look after it. I would dearly love a second rabbit but for fear of not being able to pay for both vet fees I am waiting until I can afford it.

WOW what a thread is this turning out to be, it really is interesting and it has made me look at things the other way round. i.e. yeah I only have a 5ft hutch and I was bemoaning about the foot difference and rescues not taking it into consideration but if I really want two healthy rabbits, and I really do then I should stop moaning and just get the foot bigger one. Plus perhaps the hutch doesn't have to go sideways but I could get an extra storey and have a taller one?

I suppose the best way of solving all these issues is if the rescues are slightly more reasonable and the potiental new owner takes the fact that these sizes are there for a reason.

Perhaps the problem is deeper. I mean where do you go to buy you rabbit hutch? Most people would go to the pet shop where they sell ridiculously small hutches. Then they approach a rescue for a bun who says no way so they go back to the shop.

Thats my twopence. lol

Very true, it is not a god given right to have a pet. You need to be able to look after it. I would dearly love a second rabbit but for fear of not being able to pay for both vet fees I am waiting until I can afford it.

Which is sound advice to anyone who is considering a bunny. My limit is 2, my Marcel de bun has cost me more in vet bills the past year and half than my cats did in 17 years. If rabbits were truely cheap and easy pets I think the majority of us would gladly help more needy buns as we would not have the fear of not being able to afford the vet bills:lol:

But how can the owner provide the care if they dont have much money to pay for vet bills to cater for that care?

They may be short on money but scrimp and save to ensure the animals in their care have the best possible life (accommodation, vet bills, food, etc), possibly to the detriment of themselves.

We are on a very limited income, yet my rabbit care comes before my own. We can't buy fancy toys and such like, but the buns are happy to improvise. If I couldn't afford the vet's bill then I'd go to the RSPCA vet or borrow money. Touch wood apart from the snuffles, vacs & neutering mine seem okay.

What I find confusing is when different requirements are required for either a house bun or an outdoor bun:? A rescue can require a 6ft hutch for outdoors or a 4ft dog crate for a house rabbit:?

Dog crates are deeper than hutches though - for example a 6' x 2' hutch would give 12 square feet space, and a 4' x 3' crate would give the same amount of space.

I have two rabbits both of which came from a petshop. I fell in love. what can i say. i wuldn't change them for the world. x

My first rabbit was from a pet shop, in all honesty it was a good one, family run - people knew what they were talking about, were able to sex her correctly, great advice on feeding housing etc etc. Unfortunately it's since closed as they retired. Shame. :cry: Didn't know about rescues.

Maddie is also from a pet shop - reason being I can't get to a rescue. I'm 16 so cant drive obviously, my mum cant drive either, Dad hates my animals. :evil: The nearest rescue (only one that I can find) that has rabbits here is quite a way away and he wouldn't take me. :cry:

There may be rescues closer, but I can't find them - they all say no we don't have rabbits. RR doesn't do NI. I tried for months to find a rescue rabbit, posted on here asking if anyone could help - they couldn't. Then decided to go for the responsible breeder option but couldn't find one of them close enough either. :?

Then I saw Maddie in a pet shop. She's perfect.

I don't have a lot of money but I still manage to scrape up the money needed for vet care if neccassary.
When I had a vet look at Sasuke's feet, my dad even gave me back the money for it:D
But I had to pay for getting Zakura neutered myself, that was more expensive too:roll:

WOW what a thread is this turning out to be, it really is interesting and it has made me look at things the other way round. i.e. yeah I only have a 5ft hutch and I was bemoaning about the foot difference and rescues not taking it into consideration but if I really want two healthy rabbits, and I really do then I should stop moaning and just get the foot bigger one. Plus perhaps the hutch doesn't have to go sideways but I could get an extra storey and have a taller one?

I suppose the best way of solving all these issues is if the rescues are slightly more reasonable and the potiental new owner takes the fact that these sizes are there for a reason.

Perhaps the problem is deeper. I mean where do you go to buy you rabbit hutch? Most people would go to the pet shop where they sell ridiculously small hutches. Then they approach a rescue for a bun who says no way so they go back to the shop.

Thats my twopence. lol

I'm so glad you have decided to try and get a bigger hutch, one foot could make the difference between a rabbit crouched up all the time because it can't stretch out to one that's fully stretched out, relaxed and happy.

P@H sell a two story hutch called Thistle Hall and is approved by the Rabbit Welfare Accosiation so is big enough for two medium sized buns and you can buy a run to attach to it to give them more space :D

bunnies from pet shops

Igot my rabbit from the pet shop because i didnt know a thing about rabbits at all and when my little girl asked me for a rabbit i thought that was where you got them from.As soon as we bought him i went straight on the internet to find out how to take care of him and thats when i found out about rabbit rescue.I have since adopted a doe from the cottontails rabbit rescue and they both live happily together.I also have a little netherland dwarf bunny and iam currently looking for a friend for him but i shall only get one from a recue home or the rspca.I have been looking on ru at all the bunnies who needs good homes but they have all been to far away for me as i dont drive and live in the bristol area but if a bun nearer to home was in need i would consider it.

I got Buu from a garden center because I had no idea there were rabbits in rescues :oops: Our local rescue is always advertising the animals they have for rehoming but its once recently they have started including the buns they have in on this so I really had no idea they even had rabbits in at the time. Although I suppose I should have called and ask but I didnt really think about it.

I brought the biggest hutch they had when I got Buu and it was only 3ft :roll: :? Luckily it was winter when we got her so the plan was to have her in the kitchen with her hutch open all the time until she went outside, and I managed to find a shop selling a 5ft hutch by then.

Trip and Scarlett were both brought from pet shops only a couple of weeks before I took them. Trip wasnt even brought, he was given to the man I got him from after he went into buy something for his dog and heard them going on about how they would never sell him now so would send him back where he came from :? Scarlett was a gift for the girl my sister worked for and she only had her a week before she complained to my sister that she didnt like her new rabbit because it was freaky looking :?

All my future buns will most probably be from the local rescue now, although I would take on buns from people like I did with Trip and Scarlett. I wouldnt buy from a pet shop or breeder and I dont shop in pet shops that sell animals so I have to order pretty much everything online.

When we went into pets at home to have a look my mum brought some stuff for the rats because we forgot to bring a bowl and water bottle with us and were already lost so couldnt go looking for another pet shop. My mum was like oh lets get this and that, I was like no just get the cheapest bowl and bottle you see we arent spending any more than we have to here and the woman working there gave me a well dirty look :roll: :lol:

I got Hugo from a petshop, & although i would never regret getting him, i do regret not getting a rescue bun.The idea of a rehomed rabbit didn't even enter my head at the time. I like to think i kind of rescued Hugo as he was being bullied by the other rabbits in his pen & had scabs all over his ears where they'd been biting him.When i took him for his first vaccine the vet was shocked that he'd been left to be attacked & that no one in the petshop had noticed his injuries - he also had the beginings of conjunctavitis.Poor little thing, i was just glad to get him out of there & give him some tlc :( Future buns will deffinately be rescues though :D

I like to think i kind of rescued Hugo as he was being bullied by the other rabbits in his pen & had scabs all over his ears where they'd been biting him.

Same here, Buu was being pushed around the garden center in a shopping trolly by some kids so im glad I took her and I wouldnt be without her now x

I voted Other

I got my rabbit from a garden centre.

I'd recently lost one rabbit, Willow. And was feeling so lost that when I looked up I was a little female watching me. I put my hand near the wire of the run and she came straight to me so I just felt like it was mean't to be... though that probably sounds silly to alot of people.

Totti was my only pet shop bun and he was an impulse buy. I'd gone into a DIY shop for fish food and saw this gorgeous white bun in a glass cage, on his own away from the others :( . I asked if he was for sale and the assistant said "maybe, but we think he's blind, would you like to hold him"? Sp I sat on the floor cuddling him and it was love at first sight (I'd like to think that the feeling was mutual :oops: ... or love at first feel from his side :oops: ). So he was sold at a discount and out I walked with a four foot x 18" plywood starter hutch :roll: He was a housebun for the first year but was ruining the carpet with his wee (he was very good about using the litter tray but hung his bum over the side so the carpet still got it :lol: )

I had been browsing the internet researching about buns as I'd had gerbils and jirds for a while. I had even looked at the free-ads :shock: :oops: I don't think I knew about RR and rescues back in Feb 2002 when I got him but having got him, did more research then the rest is history.

I will openly admit that Becks is from P@H, I got books and did so much research on caring for rabbits I nearly fainted, what I didnt realise was that our local RSPCA had rabbits and also that there were many numerous rescues around us, I honestly hand on heart thought the only place you could get a bun was from a breeder or P@H, i didnt know of any breeders but we got becks from the shop.

I have to say how I cannot stand P@H after our problems with them, I have sent the council round there who gave them their licencising. I have also complained numerous amounts of times to them but so far nought has been done. The boy who sold us our bun didnt really know much and didnt hold him very well when he picked him up, he also told us sage house hutch would be big enough which it looked like it would be at the size of becks when we first got him, but since he has grown we have had to get a much bigger one. Becks has also suffered from Snuffles since day one, I have complained to the store about this and stated that just because they paid for his antiobiotics 3 times it didnt matter it was the principle of them selling ill animals and not noticing it even when i stated at his first check up it looked a bit funny.

I do go there for his food and sometimes toys, and they have improved on their rabbit stocking of items - well the one in portsmouth has, but the people working there dont often seem to have a clue. I was shocked when I saw a parent buying their 4 year old a hamster let him hold the box it was in and as they walked outside the shop he dropped it!!!!!! They picked it up and gave it back to him - that infuriates me they should not be able to sell animals to children because they obviously will not get cared for properly!!! :censored: :censored:

To be fair Bluebell was an impulse love at first sight buy when I went to buy bedding etc. I'm not really sure where the nearest rescue is in my area and I was also weary that they would refuse me on grounds that I live in a rented property. My landlord has given full permision but I wasn't sure this would be enough.

[Same here, Buu was being pushed around the garden center in a shopping trolly by some kids
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back