• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, I have taken on 2 semi neglected rabbits. Both girls are overweight & the larger breed (ones dwarf) is so overweight she can’t groom properly. My question is can I stop pellets altogether & just give hay? I have bought science selective as it seems many use on here so I thought the best for them. They were on burgess. The larger girl bellas poo is not always normal either which is a concern. I am getting both to vets for full check. They are not eating as much hay as they should but this might improve as they were getting feed carrot & apple daily & lots of pellets which is terrible. Thank you for reading xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I have taken on 2 semi neglected rabbits. Both girls are overweight & the larger breed (ones dwarf) is so overweight she can’t groom properly. My question is can I stop pellets altogether & just give hay? I have bought science selective as it seems many use on here so I thought the best for them. They were on burgess. The larger girl bellas poo is not always normal either which is a concern. I am getting both to vets for full check. They are not eating as much hay as they should but this might improve as they were getting feed carrot & apple daily & lots of pellets which is terrible. Thank you for reading xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they have been having a lot of pellets each day, then I would suggest that you reduce them very gradually. Their hay eating should improve if they are not filling up on pellets, carrot and apple, but it might not happen overnight. Pellets can be stopped altogether and some people on this forum feed their rabbits a pellet-free diet. I, like some others, give a very small amount each day. I would also have a think about providing some herbs and/or forage in addition to the hay.

Well done for taking on these buns!
Whist we wait for someone more knowledgable to pop along, can I suggest that the pellets are reduced over the period of a week or so. If your buns are overweight the pellets will have to be reduced to a few (or none) each day. One of our buns is overweight and the vet recommended a hay only diet :cry:
What hay are you feeding? Rabbits can be picky so it may take a few goes to find one they like, reducing the pellets, carrots and apples will also help encourage them to eat hay. A quick search on here might highlight some suitable suggestions. The vet will need to check their teeth, as rabbits teeth continuously grow and are worn down by eating hay and grass. If you are worried about their poo, take some to the vet with you, or you can post a photograph on here (using tapatalk makes posting photos easy) and someone may offer advice
Good luck and happy rabbit ownership

As has been said you must reduce their food very gradually over many weeks as it can affect their Liver. Be very patient, it can take around 3 months before they become interested in hay but maybe you can give them grass as this will help with their teeth. Good luck with these 2.

Back