• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet-free diet

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi

Following on from my post about my dental bunnies, I have decided to change them on to a no pellet diet. I’ve ordered a book and looked up online, but has anybody got any brilliant tips/advice? 😁

I would do it gradually and also I would weigh them at least weekly to make sure they are not losing weight. Also make sure that they are eating lots of hay and also drinking. My bunnies have very few pellets, but they eat an enormous amount of hay. I also give them lots of fresh forage, hand-cut grass, vegetable leaves and tree leaves. They also get small branches so that they can nibble the bark.

Which book are you following? I hope it goes well :)

I would do it gradually and also I would weigh them at least weekly to make sure they are not losing weight. Also make sure that they are eating lots of hay and also drinking. My bunnies have very few pellets, but they eat an enormous amount of hay. I also give them lots of fresh forage, hand-cut grass, vegetable leaves and tree leaves. They also get small branches so that they can nibble the bark.

Which book are you following? I hope it goes well :)

Thank you - I am nervous because of vitamins, etc…I’ve bought Beyond the Pellet, but I have been looking at a lot of online articles. I just want to get it right. I hadn’t thought about leaves 👍🏻 :)

Thank you - I am nervous because of vitamins, etc…I’ve bought Beyond the Pellet, but I have been looking at a lot of online articles. I just want to get it right. I hadn’t thought about leaves 👍🏻 :)

The leaves need to be ones that rabbits can eat. We feed Alder, Hazel, Hawthorn, Ash, Field Maple, Rose, Hop and Willow. Also Apple, Pear, Blackcurrant, Raspberry and of course Blackberry. You can usually find Blackberry leaves all Winter long, especially in woods. It's the bark of these rabbit-friendly trees that they can have as well.

The leaves need to be ones that rabbits can eat. We feed Alder, Hazel, Hawthorn, Ash, Field Maple, Rose, Hop and Willow. Also Apple, Pear, Blackcurrant, Raspberry and of course Blackberry. You can usually find Blackberry leaves all Winter long, especially in woods. It's the bark of these rabbit-friendly trees that they can have as well.

Great - thank you 😊

Getting forage right through winter can be difficult. Bramble leaves can be found all year round if you look around. Otherwise, you can still get some forage to dry now. Most trees round here have lost their leaves now, but there may be some willow, hazel & similar available that can be cut and left to dry for winter storage. Store in strong paper bags or boxes (cereal boxes or bigger). The stems and leaves of all the plants suggested so far can be eaten. Another useful guide is:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Getting forage right through winter can be difficult. Bramble leaves can be found all year round if you look around. Otherwise, you can still get some forage to dry now. Most trees round here have lost their leaves now, but there may be some willow, hazel & similar available that can be cut and left to dry for winter storage. Store in strong paper bags or boxes (cereal boxes or bigger). The stems and leaves of all the plants suggested so far can be eaten. Another useful guide is:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

That’s brilliant- thank you. Is dried as good?

Mine don't always appreciate the effort that went into the dried winter forage - but it gives a bit of variety over just hay and whatever you can get in regular veg. I go through a fair bit of fresh cabbage and celery in winter, but it doesn't suit all rabbits. Fresh herbs may be available in supermarkets (especially ethnic ones, where you can get big bunches), and they usually go down well. If you have a local greengrocer / farm shop / organic veg box scheme or similar, you could ask them to save you the outer leaves and green tops of veg that would normally be trimmed off before the veg hits the shelf. You can also use a lot of your kitchen trimmings - just check with one of the guides. Avoid anything evergreen or from a bulb (eg onion, garlic)

Cabbages at my local farm shop were 60p for years. Last week they were £1.60...so I won't be buying many for the bunnies this year.

Mine don't always appreciate the effort that went into the dried winter forage - but it gives a bit of variety over just hay and whatever you can get in regular veg. I go through a fair bit of fresh cabbage and celery in winter, but it doesn't suit all rabbits. Fresh herbs may be available in supermarkets (especially ethnic ones, where you can get big bunches), and they usually go down well. If you have a local greengrocer / farm shop / organic veg box scheme or similar, you could ask them to save you the outer leaves and green tops of veg that would normally be trimmed off before the veg hits the shelf. You can also use a lot of your kitchen trimmings - just check with one of the guides. Avoid anything evergreen or from a bulb (eg onion, garlic)

Cabbages at my local farm shop were 60p for years. Last week they were £1.60...so I won't be buying many for the bunnies this year.

Wow! That’s a big hike in the price!

Thank you so much - that’s all really useful. 😊

Back