• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Parents and Bunnies

I agree with Steph and Happybun.

I am the parent, if my children want a pet....they research its needs, its lifespan, cost etc. We discuss it and we decide if its something that we can provide for....then we would look for a rescue one. Very often pets find us (usually by a knock on the door and a 'can you take this?':roll:).

Ultimately though the decision is mine, my eldest would dearly love a Staffy and I have said no, we have enough dogs already and their needs are very different. He would also love a snake...no I am scared of them. Other than that I am open to discussions about pets. The eldest wanted Gekos and after research he decided not to have them...the youngest wants Silkies (chooks) but is going to wait until our chooks have passed as 6 would be too many at the moment...to me that is sensible ownership..research it, discuss it and ensure you can provide for them.

I have moved out and am no longer living off the bank of mum and dad, yet my mum still complains at me and makes snide comments about the rabbits and guinea pigs, and the rescue/charity work I do.

This weekend I went around to help her with some gardening, this is what she had to say about them in one day:

• That their new acommodation is ridiculous and will be an eyesore in the new garden
  • That I should take her old hutch (from which I rescued two neglected bunnies) and use it instead, they were fine in there
  • That I should 'give up' my bunnies as I am struggling to work out a way to dispose of their waste when we move

She also complained that I was spending all of Sunday helping out at a guinea pig rescue, when I should be packing to move (fair enough I suppose, but it was arranged a while ago and I'll just have to spend a couple of evenings packing instead - problem solved)

Believe me, it doesn't stop even when you've left home and are completely financially independant :roll::lol:

Oh God, that's nothing to do with bunnies really, that's just parents prerogative. Parents aren';t just your parents, they are people who may have different opinions on life etc. I get comments alllll the time about various stuff, and my Dad gets comments from his mum about things still and he's 55! I think it's important to just try and be chilled and accepting that people have differing views, even when it's really irritating.

I live in a rental with my dh and kids. But my MIL drives me :censored: Nuts with

a) What did you get them for?
b) why do they need that huge hutch
c) why do they need runs when you let them out to run round
d) why do i have bunnies in the house its horrible and smells.

The corker she pulled was not long after we got them. I never knew i was allergic to sawdust. So came up in the most awful rash. Next thing i know she's saying to hubby she's found them a new home and she'll take them while i was out so i didn't cause a scene. She didn't count on the fact dh would suddenly grow a pair and tell her to do one.

My parents are a lot better my dad is in love with them. He never comes through the door without forage for them. He talks to the bunnys before anyone else. Loves spending time with them and is going to build me a shed and avairy run for them when he retires in summer :D.

Wow, I blink and this thread takes off.

I have to say I do agree with Steph and Happybun. A parents house is a parents house. I did come across as rude and I apologize. I was just worked up and needed to vent to people who understand rabbit needs. I understand the parents situation, their house, their rules. But they can't neglect an animals needs just because they don't think its right. Its cruel.

It just infuriates me that people (no matter if they are a parent, child, teenager or grandparent) that people think that the 'past' is right way to go. People think that giving a rabbit a small hutch with no run is perfectly okay. Its the lack of education, but the lack of wanting to learn how to be better infuriates me more.

My mum's great. She understands of what I'm trying to do and is helping a heck of a lot. It's just the education I'm ranting about not the fact that its their house in a sort of sense.

I feel like I have contradicted myself somewhere and going to get my self in deeper trouble. XD

Back