• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty bottom

lucy24

Mama Doe
Lilly is 11 years old but the past year she is just not cleaning herself. I've just cleaned her bottom so most of the poo is off but it's not good. We'll be going to the vet Monday but wanted people's thoughts. She eats and drinks ok. Is a good weight but doesn't move much. Her sister is still very spritely. Possibly she has arthritis so maybe pain relief will help. However I'm worried about the coming months and fly strike. They live at my parents so I can't check in everyday. Will the vet suggest pts? Just unsure at what to expect and also don't want to extend suffering.

She could be suffering with age related arthritis which would mean it is too painful for her to get to her bum or to move about much. Giving a daily dose of a NSAID such as Metacam would help, as would additional therapies such as physiotherapy, acupuncture, laser therapy, massage.

She will need daily cleaning and checking to try to minimise the risk of fly strike. So someone will need to take responsibility for this if you can’t. Death from flystrike is horrific.

Other measures such as covering the accommodation with fly screen netting, daily full cleaning of accommodation. Some people will also use a topical treatment such as Rearguarde or F10 Wound and Insecticidal Spray

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp...e-c-649_197/rearguard-for-rabbits-25ml-p-1660

https://hyperdrug.co.uk/f10-germici...8evkdSCIxYUDpeBC3CxHh7HBk_AV_8msaAu36EALw_wcB

Personally I would only ever use the F10, I know of too many adverse reactions with the use of Rearguard

Deffo ask the vet about arthritis. Metacam can work wonders. I also use the F10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide when needed on vulnerable rabbits (eg with surgical wounds), so it may be worth considering. Can be used daily and on open wounds. Don't use it where cats could come into contact with it, though.

I would never use Rearguard again for many reasons. It's expensive at a single dose applicator (about £25), which could last a month as long as the rabbit's bottom doesn't get wet (bathed or weather) and the skin is intact - then it would need to be repeated. It's not easy to apply. It also has known side effects, like depressed appetite - not good in rabbits who are already struggling.

Thank you that's alot of really useful info! I will look into getting some f10. I really wish I could have them with me.
Ive had a rabbit die from flystrike before I knew much about bunnies. Its the worst 😫
At least I'm looking at things to get prepared before any hot weather. I can hopefully keep her happy and comfortable ☺️

Back