• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Palm oil in Excel

Sam_Spice

Mama Doe
Got some free samples of Excel from my uni vets today and noticed they include palm oil, just wondered if knowing this would alter peoples opinions on Excel? I don't feed it anyway but I'm surprised they didn't try and hide it as a vegetable oil/fat. Do you reckon its commonly used in all rabbit feeds?

Sorry if this is random just wondered how people felt about it? :wave:

I bet it's pretty common in rabbit food...I think it's the cheapest vegetable oil on the market despite being shipped thousands of miles!

Is there a problem with palm oil?

It's a saturated fat. Additionally, the growing of palm oil means thousands of acres of tropical rainforest are destroyed each year to grow the palms. Orangutans are in particular danger from this and will be extinct within 10-years time if the rainforests are destroyed at their current levels.

Galaxy's current advert about how their chocolate is rainforest-friendly only applies to the cocoa - the palm oil is not and arguably does more damage.

Thanks for pointing that out, it definately effects how I feel about excel. I have watched loads of documentaries about the plight of the animals effected by our use of palm oil and I am trying to cut down on products I purchase which contain it. So I wont be purchasing Excel anymore :roll:

Thanks for pointing that out, it definately effects how I feel about excel. I have watched loads of documentaries about the plight of the animals effected by our use of palm oil and I am trying to cut down on products I purchase which contain it. So I wont be purchasing Excel anymore :roll:

I didn't realise that there was a problem until recently when a friend pointed this out to me. I am with you and will be avoiding products with palm oil in it (any products not just rabbit feed) from now on.

I didn't realize that. Are there alternatives they could use and would be worth us campaigning to try and get them to do this?

ok so if palm oil is in excel what about sceince selective etc? as i cant not feed my rabbit i wish them to have abhigh fibre pellet food which ones are classed as ok? then you think a bag from excel is recyclable but a bag of sceicne selct is plastic so non recyclable.... there are lots of pitfalls i feed sceience select as i find my bunnies prefer the taste and it seems better for my dental buns due to hhger fibre.

Just to add guys, it would be great if when you switch you send a quick email to your old brand telling them why. :)

Might be worth emailing other feed brands to ask them if they have palm oil in but labelled as vegetable oil? I haven't got any SS to know if it has any in it but surely they all contain oils so just how honest the companies are being :?

P.s. I might be able to check out A&P today if the bag's not too destroyed :lol:

Back