• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Padlocks/combination bolts... general security woes!

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Tapla (and her soon-to-be-adopted new boyfriend bunny) have a 6 x 4 shed and a permanently attached 8 x 4 x 3 run, which both have lots of padbolts on. I secure the run with carabiner clips to make it basically impossible for a predator to open, but I have had this ongoing niggle that I probably should secure the shed and run from humans. I have no idea why - we live in a very very safe area and we have just had the fences re-done so they are brand new and very strong, but I feel like I couldn't forgive myself if anything was to happen.

The problem is I'm a bit of a nervous wreck about the padlock or the combination bolt breaking and not being able to gain access to the bunnies.

This is the combination bolt that I would have on the shed: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Squire-COM...d=1472394669&sr=8-3&keywords=combination+bolt
I've seen one in real life and it felt sturdy but the reviews concern me. I could either attach it with standard screws or the anti tamper screws... if I use the normal ones, humans could still remove it and gain access but if I use the anti tamper screws I would have to sand the head off the screw to get in!

Or a couple of weatherproof keyed alike padlocks, maybe something like this?: http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/abus-41-50-padlock.html
But again the problem is what if they fail? Everything I've found on amazon comes with some terrible reviews of it completely failing which again really concerns me with living animals being inside!

Argh, has anyone else faced this problem? What would you do?

EDIT: The thing is even if I padlock/combination bolt the shed door and run door, there's still the two opening sections on top of the run (which are covered by roofing sheets and tarp, but still a determined human could access the bunnies through). And also, any determined human could simply lift the run up or remove the runaround tubes. I just feel like I need to secure them in :oops:

Last edited:
It's a tough one this, secure enough to stop 'bad' humans getting in, but nit so much that it would stop you getting in if there's a problem with the lock LOL.
How about a compromise, if someone were to try and break in, perhaps go for a lock that would slow them down and that the noise that would be made to get through the lock would let you know there was a problem?

Probably not a very helpful response I know, but if someone were really determined they would be able to do whatever you plan to do to get past the lock should something go wrong.

If it were me I'd go with something secure and try to remember that you live in a safe place, it's unlikely that someone would take the time and trouble to break in to the bun's home. :D

Hi, I don't know if you have looked have things from the point of view of extra security for the garden as a whole, rather than the shed / run itself. Do you have a garden gate that you could add extra locks too? Spiky strips along the fence, possibly?

Or what about security lights that would come on if someone entered the garden? They obviously wouldn't prevent someone entering, but they might think twice if the place was flooded in light?

What about a shed door contact alarm? Although I'm not sure about the run! x

Last edited:
We use keyed-alike padlocks where possible, or keyed bicycle cable locks threaded between big vine-eye type loops. All can be cut through with a decent set of bolt cutters anyway. I don't think there is much that will keep out a determined person. Hopefully this is enough to put them off, and make it more difficult for random kids, foxes etc to open doors.

Back