• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxbow Hay-Anyone Else Had This Problem?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I brought Dylan a small bag of Oxbow's Timothy Hay (online) but am appalled at the quality! After shaking it all out & sieving through I'm left with half a bag of hay-the rest being hay dust! :shock: As it is quite pricey I'm not happy!
The last time I purchased it was a year or so ago & I never had this problem.
Have I just been unlucky, or has anyone else had this problem with any of the Oxbow hays/grasses lately?
The thing is as he likes it I want to purchase some more but don't want to waste my money on half a bag again!
Would the larger bag be a better bet do you think or should I purchase another brand & hope he likes it (very fussy hay eater)?

I've bought it for 10 years now and it's always been the same. I've never found anything better, but the wastage is annoying.

I use to be happy with Oxbow hay but lately it is aweful small pieces that Julie chokes on. I gave up on it.

I use Timothy for all my bunnies as it does seem to help with thier teeth. I buy the big 22kg box and although it does tend to have some dust when you get to the bottom, it's not as bad as in the smaller quantities. I know it is expensive but have to say I think it works out cheaper, and proportionally les waste, the bigger the quantity you buy. The big box lasts my 6 around 3 months.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Dylan's now decided he likes Burns Oat hay! He is so contrary!! :lol:

My rabbits like the oxbow timothy hay, but yes it is dusty. If you get the 4kg bag, you get more hay than dust.

I have the big bags and it is starting to get a bit dusty now as we are on the last quarter of the bag. I was disappointed by the amount of dust, but Ada loves the Western Timothy and Orchard grass.

Julie does have a big box of the orchard hay right now and it seems very nice. The thing about Oxbow is that it seems to be undependable now a days. Sometimes it is wonderful and other times short broken pieces. Julie loves the Timothy and orchard but she chokes on the broken short pieces. The local rescue buys it by the box and then sells it by the garbage bag or the whole box full. Fortunately they are understanding about Julie's choking problem and lets me pick through it. This time of year the farm fresh hay is the second cutting and short pieces also.

Back