• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside/Inside? Get a new bunny friend?

Hannah4

New Kit
Hi everyone
My question doesn't seem to fit neatly into one catorgory so hopefully i've picked the most relevant.

I have a 1yr old neutered dutch rabbit who is currently living inside. When we got him he was sold as a single bunny becos the pet shop (a well know nation wide one with green logo ;)) told us 'he didnt like being with the other rabbits'. He had been in their adoption scheme for 3mths & did bite/nip. By this point he was about 5mths old when we got him.

He did nip us as well but we put this down to excitement, especially around food. At 9mths old he was neutered which required stitches due to an undescended testicle. This meant he had more hands on care due to syringing anti biotics & pain relief for 7 days. As a result the nipping fully disappeared and he is now a 'normal' rabbit it appears.

A vet nurse told us about a sanctuary nearby where we live that helps with bonding and pairing up rabbits. So the million dollar question is, should we get our bunny a friend and see if he is indeed a 'normal' bunny and not anti social?
And if he is paired up with another rabbit, should we move him outside? We are happy with him inside and feel he would be lonely if he lived out on his own. But if he had a rabbit friend, would it be best for him to be out? We want him to have the best quality of life he can. We have a lawn he can go on in summertime, a bit next to the house for winter & even a garage next to the house if the weather gets really bad.

I would welcome any advice/opinions. We are slightly torn about what to do for the best, we wouldnt want him to be lonely if he is actually a 'normal' rabbit and would want companionship.
Thanks so much!

Get him a friend if you keep him in or move him out - he would like someone to talk to. If you go to a good rescue that will do the bonding, you'll soon be able to tell if he likes somebun. Rabbits have 'dates'!

In or out is about your preference. I have four, in, and my house is ruined. They're going out if we get a run of good weather, so that I can renovate my home. Other people, more careful, less chaotic people, can manage indoor buns. It was a mistake for me, but I have loved their company.

Hi there! Pets at Home are always labelling bunnies as "being bullied" etc. They know we will feel sorry for them and they get rehomed. Anyway, as long as they get good homes I don't mind what ploy they use.

So, yes your bunny would love a companion, preferably a female. I think a lot of bunnies like the outdoors but it is entirely up to you. A playhouse makes a lovely home for 2 bunnies with an attached run or aviary. This gives them more protection from the elements and also from predators, mainly Mr Fox.

As others have said I think he would really benefit from having a friend.Very few bunnies aren't suitable for bonding and most are "hardwired"to enjoy other bunny company.
As for inside or out,that is very much your preference.He would probably adapt in either situation.If you think hes happy indoors and you enjoy him being around you,you could have them both inside as long as you have the space.If they would be living where he lives now you would need to carefully neutralise the area to get rid of his scent.This would stop him being territorial when they are both introduced to the area.

All I'm saying is the same as the others but it would definitely be worth getting your bunny a bunfriend. Our Dog was a little on the anti social side but him and Cat had such a close bond and he eventually learned to tolerate us humans :lol:
It's your choice where they live too, I really enjoy watching two bunnies snuggle up to each other and binky around the living room!

My Lopsy's off for a 3-day date tomorrow: I'm way too scared to do initial bonding but with a starter of 3 days, hopefully we should be aware of any problems (i.e. it'll be clear one way or the other!). Rescues do seem pretty good at helping with bonding for a brief while :)

Thanks everyone for your kind advice! I kinda thought that but just wanted to check out my thoughts with all you experienced people! I am definately going to enlist a rescue place to help with the bonding, no way do we have the experience for that. And a rescue bunny gets a new home in the process too :)

Hi everyone
My question doesn't seem to fit neatly into one catorgory so hopefully i've picked the most relevant.

I have a 1yr old neutered dutch rabbit who is currently living inside. When we got him he was sold as a single bunny becos the pet shop (a well know nation wide one with green logo ;)) told us 'he didnt like being with the other rabbits'. He had been in their adoption scheme for 3mths & did bite/nip. By this point he was about 5mths old when we got him.

He did nip us as well but we put this down to excitement, especially around food. At 9mths old he was neutered which required stitches due to an undescended testicle. This meant he had more hands on care due to syringing anti biotics & pain relief for 7 days. As a result the nipping fully disappeared and he is now a 'normal' rabbit it appears.

A vet nurse told us about a sanctuary nearby where we live that helps with bonding and pairing up rabbits. So the million dollar question is, should we get our bunny a friend and see if he is indeed a 'normal' bunny and not anti social?
And if he is paired up with another rabbit, should we move him outside? We are happy with him inside and feel he would be lonely if he lived out on his own. But if he had a rabbit friend, would it be best for him to be out? We want him to have the best quality of life he can. We have a lawn he can go on in summertime, a bit next to the house for winter & even a garage next to the house if the weather gets really bad.

I would welcome any advice/opinions. We are slightly torn about what to do for the best, we wouldnt want him to be lonely if he is actually a 'normal' rabbit and would want companionship.
Thanks so much!

I'm sure he's perfectly 'normal' (what does that mean?) ... There were probably reasons due to his past that made him defensive. One of my little ones was traumatised during her first year before being given up. She'll never change and she turns 12 this year. However, I love her for who she is :love: I don't find labels helpful - no offence to yourself!

As said, get him a pal. It's one of the best things you can do for your little one :thumb:

MightMax - I am not labelling my own rabbit. I am merely using the word 'normal' (please note inverted commas) as an alternative way of expressing 'usual'. From the knowledge I have gained it is usual for rabbits to want to be with a companion, so my rabbit being sold specifically as not liking to be around other rabbits would, in that context, make him unusual in that respect. Having bonded with my rabbit, it appears he doesn't have any behavioural problems and therefore behaves like any other average rabbit, like 'normal'.
I don't mean to be OTT about this, but I find it unecessary to pick on people's use of English on here unless they have intended to be offensive to others. And it doesn't make for this being a nice forum if you're going to get picked on for how you phrased something.
I work with people with disabilities and brain injuries, I know about the effects of labelling to people and animals. I have 3 other pets, all rescued. None of them are labelled.
But thank you for your comment, especially the emoticons, i am still trying to get to grips with those!

Back