• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Outside bunny

bizziel

Alpha Buck
Hi, i’d really appreciate some advice. Harvey has been at the vets all day in a warm kennel. He is perfectly well though is 10 years old (he was at the vets with his partner Coco who has been put the sleep this evening [emoji174]). It’s about 1 degree outside in their shed now. Would Harvey be ok if I put him out there tonight or should I set something up for him inside? I feel like he should go back to his familiar home but it’s also cold out and I don’t want to shock his system, especially while he’s grieving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put him back outside if it were my bunny, but I can understand you wondering whether this would be OK. I think that rabbits like familiarity. If you bring him inside, how long would it be for? If you can accommodate him inside for the rest of the winter, then there's more justification for not putting him outside this evening. If you can't then I would put some hay-filled boxes in his shed with a snugglesafe if you have one. Also maybe add a cuddy toy for him to snuggle with.

I'm very sorry that you have lost Coco :cry:

I would probably go for the familiar environment outside, with extra bedding, a couple of Snugglesafe heat pads and maybe a soft toy substitute for Coco. Keep a close eye on him to make sure he's eating etc as normal. He will need a bit of extra TLC as he's used to having company - so will be lonely if he doesn't get any attention.

RIP Coco

Thank you everyone, those are really helpful suggestions [emoji3590]

Thank you everyone for your responses and sympathy, it’s been a really tough day and it’s so lovely to see such nice messages.

I’ve put Harvey out in their shed with a box of straw and a couple of snuggle safes. I’ve also set up a space for him inside so I can bring him in if I think he needs it in the next few days (stolen my husband office [emoji38]), but he’s always preferred being outside. Unfortunately I don’t have any cuddly ties to give him but I will try to give him lots of attention.

Back