• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor or house rabbit

Sazlloyd

New Kit
Hi I have just bought a new rabbit and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on about having a house rabbit. We had a beautiful rabbit before called Robbie but sadly last week a fox managed to get into his run and hutch. I am now worried about putting my new bunny (Freddie) outside but am not sure of the practicality of having a house rabbit.

Any advice would be gteat.

Thanks
Sarah

I personnally love having house bunnies. They really show their character when you're with them all the time in the house, and my two are pretty much like two tiny dogs :). Of course you need to be prepared to litter train them and bunny proof your house, and think of the best place to keep them inside. It was hard work to start off with but now it's just routine and I'd never have it any other way :) xxx

I like having a house rabbit too, although Basil does go out in his run for a few hours each day if the weather is ok. He has just one free range area in the house at the moment unsupervised which is 8'x8'. He also like to zoom along the hall into the kitchen (supervised at the mo.) So sorry about Robbie:(

If I wasn't in a rented no pets indoors house I would have my two indoor. Hopefully as they get older and we move somewhere better we can move them indoors!

If you don't mind bunny proofing and you don't have potential landlord problems, go with indoor bunny!

Up until now I have always kept my bunnies outdoors, mainly because I didn't really have space indoors, but I've just moved in with my boyfriend and we are planning to keep our 2 new bunnies in the house, when they are old enough to leave their mum in about a month! I think that having them in the house with us will help them to bond with us more as they will have constant attention! Also we won't have to go outside in cold wet weather to feed and clean them out! It's got to be the way to go! They can always go outside in nice weather :D

From experience (2 outdoors buns and 1 indoor) i'd definately go for the house rabbit if you are able. I think personally you get so much more out of them and they get so much more attention (if you only have one, please think about getting a 2nd in the future, they love company).

Biscuit is a house rabbit and has a pen in our living room for when we need to keep him confined, which isn't very often any more :lol: otherwise, when we are there he has full free-range of the living room (60% bunny proofed, hence the supervision) and the hall way :)

Hope this helps, but please be aware, it takes a lot of patience having a house rabbit and you really have to be aware of how much work is involved keeping your house safe/protected.

:wave:

I love having our two as house rabbits - I think it'd be too easy to overlook them if they were outside :(
But yep - as Graham said - supervision is key! We have a few nibbled skirting boards etc, and lost a phone charger, but I think they could be very destructive left to their own devices!!

I love having our two as house rabbits - I think it'd be too easy to overlook them if they were outside :(
But yep - as Graham said - supervision is key! We have a few nibbled skirting boards etc, and lost a phone charger, but I think they could be very destructive left to their own devices!!

..and xbox360 adapters, ps2 adapters, wii adapters, wii sensor board cables, phone lines, 4gang adaptors, laptop chargers...:oops::lol:

BUT they were ALL my fault for leaving them within reach of a little fluffy ball of joy!

Now i have bunny-proofed, things are much better :)

Back